What film did you watch last night?

It was surreal, some very graphic violence mixed with hilarious comedy, was wincing and laughing my arse off at the same time. Pitt and DiCaprio really shone through in the closing scenes

I was in awe when DiCaprio retrieves the flame thrower from his shed and lights up the girl in the pool. Pitt's dog stole the show in the house Pitts manner came a close second just after they burst through the front door "hey I know you", ha ha brilliant

Maps to the Stars (2014) 5/10

Always been a fan of David Cronenberg films. A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, The Fly & The Dead Zone (a brilliant adaption of a Stephen King book to film).

I found it by chance on iPlayer and agree with Amazon reviews. Its bonkers. Not what I expected at all, essentially Hollywood's darker sides, the narcissism, also a bit of Carrie. I kind of want to watch again as there are nuances which probably flew over my head first time around. I get the dark side of Hollywood but the rest...

I haven’t watched it all yet but I’ve seen it enough times, Planes, Trains and Automobiles - 10/10

my god it’s absolutely hilarious. YOU’RE GOING THE WRONG WAY
I must watch this again. It's one f the truly hilarious films I can watch again and again and again. It's so funny! Yes 10/10.

EDIT: Just got back from Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker... 7/10. The best of the new trilogy but nowhere near as good as the originals.

Last edited:
Maps to the Stars (2014) 5/10

Always been a fan of David Cronenberg films. A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, The Fly & The Dead Zone (a brilliant adaption of a Stephen King book to film).

I found it by chance on iPlayer and agree with Amazon reviews. Its bonkers. Not what I expected at all, essentially Hollywood's darker sides, the narcissism, also a bit of Carrie. I kind of want to watch again as there are nuances which probably flew over my head first time around. I get the dark side of Hollywood but the rest...

Have a gander at videodrome for more bonkers Cronenberg. I like it. I've never seen The Naked Lunch but looks mad as a box of frogs

I saw Star Wars:Rise of Skywalker yesterday, so much better than the Last Jedi. Some silly things being done during the movie but I enjoyed it much more than the previous two movies in this series. 7/10

Then I saw 6 Underground in the late evening at home, decent action movie. Better than expected even though there was some silly things involved too, but a good time killer. 6/10.

Star Wars Ep9 - Film 7/10 but Plot 0/10 - Firstly, the plot is utter garbage, it's just bobbins it really is and if you can't separate the plot from the rest of the film then the whole thing is dire HOWEVER, as a film away from the plot I enjoyed it and I'd say it was at least as good as Ep7 for me, but I REALLLLLLY had to work hard not to constantly scoff at the plot decisions made, the "insta-fix" to every situation (you never once though any main cast would die before the very end) and the ludicrous decision to bring back the big bad of the OT once Snoke was gone.

Once I decided "screw it, lets just watch and not think" I enjoyed it. The visual spectacle is epic, as most JJ Abrams films are, and the score, cinematography, humorous script (in places) etc all add together to make a film I personally enjoyed as much as Ep7 and whole light year ahead of Ep8.

Again however it just comes down to your ability to ignore the utterly dumb/ridiculous plot & decisions made to keep advancing it.

I haven’t watched it all yet but I’ve seen it enough times, Planes, Trains and Automobiles - 10/10

my god it’s absolutely hilarious. YOU’RE GOING THE WRONG WAY
When I'm in the right mood, it is a perfect 10/10 film.

I've done the Daniel Craig James Bond boxset over the last few days, really enjoyed them. He makes a great Bond IMO.

Star Wars Ep9 - Film 7/10 but Plot 0/10 - Firstly, the plot is utter garbage, it's just bobbins it really is and if you can't separate the plot from the rest of the film then the whole thing is dire HOWEVER, as a film away from the plot I enjoyed it and I'd say it was at least as good as Ep7 for me, but I REALLLLLLY had to work hard not to constantly scoff at the plot decisions made, the "insta-fix" to every situation (you never once though any main cast would die before the very end) and the ludicrous decision to bring back the big bad of the OT once Snoke was gone.

Once I decided "screw it, lets just watch and not think" I enjoyed it. The visual spectacle is epic, as most JJ Abrams films are, and the score, cinematography, humorous script (in places) etc all add together to make a film I personally enjoyed as much as Ep7 and whole light year ahead of Ep8.

Again however it just comes down to your ability to ignore the utterly dumb/ridiculous plot & decisions made to keep advancing it.
Just going to quote this as it sums up my thoughts perfectly tbh. TFA was much the same, a fun ride that didn't hold up to much scrutiny at all.

Back
Top Bottom