What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Having not seen any of those before, I ended up watching all back to back over a few weeks. If you've not watched the 3rd film yet your set treat, imho it's the best of the first 3. There's a lot of back story guff, but flow of the film is ramped up making it less laborious and a lot more fun.

I've seen all the movies (except Jason Bourne) a few times each but it has been a good few years since last time. Planning to watch the 3rd one this evening sometime.

Soldato
1917 - 7/10

Really? I thought it was pretty boring, story is generic and that pseudo one shot is its only gimmick.

1917 - Enjoyable film but not quite sure it was worth all the glowing reviews as it was pretty slow in places 7/10

I think I agree with these. I spent most of the film trying to decide if I liked it or not!? It was kind of clever pretending to be one long shot... but at the same time, that meant it was rather slow in a lot of places.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen- 5/10.

Connery makes up for a lot. The CGI is a weird mix of very good and very shonky (even for 2003). It takes liberties with the source material that, in retrospect, contributed to dooming it.

Still, at least it's not The Great Wall.

Soldato
1917 - 7/10

I think I agree with these. I spent most of the film trying to decide if I liked it or not!? It was kind of clever pretending to be one long shot... but at the same time, that meant it was rather slow in a lot of places.
Also watched this last night. its so well done, but its a bit slow in places. As one review site said, it a great cinematic flex from Deakin (truly a master of his craft) and Mendes but that doesn't necessarily make it a solid film.
Its a weird film in that it feels very real, but at the same time some of the events in it are a bit far fetched that it kinda takes you out of it.

The musical score though, how on earth Thomas Newman didnt win the Oscar I will never know.

Caporegime
I do wonder what people were expecting with 1917. From what I have heard and spoken to people, those who were disappointed were expecting a big war action film. They were dissapointed, so maybe incorrect expectations perhaps?

I went into it pretty much blind, and loved it.

Caporegime
Contagion

Watched purely from a topical perspective, pretty meh. Gwyn dying so soon was a plus though (she suck).

5/10

Jumanji: The Next Level

Still entertaining, and it did get some lols out of me. Still have a crush on Gillan, and The Rock channeling Devito was something I never thought I'd see. :D

6/10

Soldato
I do wonder what people were expecting with 1917. From what I have heard and spoken to people, those who were disappointed were expecting a big war action film. They were dissapointed, so maybe incorrect expectations perhaps?

I didn't really have any expectation. I think I'd heard it was one long shot, so did a little bit of looking out for where the cuts happened, which were generally quite obvious. I guess if you go in expecting it to be quite slow in places, that means it meets with your expectations, but it doesn't make it a better film, surely?

Caporegime
I didn't really have any expectation. I think I'd heard it was one long shot, so did a little bit of looking out for where the cuts happened, which were generally quite obvious. I guess if you go in expecting it to be quite slow in places, that means it meets with your expectations, but it doesn't make it a better film, surely?
Not at all. But if I went in expecting a film with aliens I would be disappointed if I didn't get aliens :p

My Dad didn't think it was a good film, he was overall on the fenc, but he did admit he was expecting something like Saving Private Ryan, Fury, Pearl Harbour etc. He also didn't see the trailer beforehand, just went in knowing it was a movie set in WW1.

Soldato
Train To Busan - Thought it was excellent... Was very much like 28 days later on a train and didn't really introduce anything new but well done, tense and full of suspense. 8.5/10

The Invisible Man- Good popcorn flick, enjoyed it, again nothing really new apart from the invisible part being technology based with a rewarding ending. 7/10

Caporegime
Last night I rewatched Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse. But this time on the home cinema in 4k with HDR

My god....its been a year since I saw it. And I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. What a cracking film...still believe its the best Spider-man made :)

Soldato
Watched a couple over the weekend.

Kursh - The last misson 7/10
Must confess to having a soft spot for any submarine based film, so I was always going to like this, however I think it stands up for itself regardless

Apollo 11 7/10
Documentry on Netflix following the Moon landing mission. Made up from all original footage. Interesting watch, & saw some footage I'd not see before

Hound of the Baskervilles (1939) 8/10
I am a big fan of the old black & white movies, & TCM were showing all the original Basil Rathbone Sherlock Homes films last week.
What they lack in FX they make up for in atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom