1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, 2 Sep 2009.

1. TriedandTested

Capodecina

Agreed. Pretty poor overall. Had a couple of fun moments but just badly written and acted throughout. Can't think of any stand out moments really, but plenty of rubbish in there...especially the Twitch streamer cameos. Uergh. Like they need their egos stroking any more.

2. steve5424

Mobster

Respect 7/10

The wife's choice. Biopic of Aretha Franklin, starring Jennifer Hudson. Pretty good movie and of course a banging soundtrack. Excellent performance from Hudson.

3. Diddums

Capodecina

Gave this a shot, if I was at the cinema I would've asked for my money back. I lasted about 40 mins before I had to turn it off, it was hands down the worst film I've seen for as long as I can remember. In fact I'd say it was spectacularly crap.

Free guy - 9/10, what an absolute riot of a film, loved ever moment of it.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - 8/10, was really expecting a blatant half-arsed cash grab but it was actually really good.

4. fez

Capodecina

Free guy - 5/10. Bang average with unimaginative characters and trying to appeal to pop culture far too much. Could have been an interesting concept but the execution was poor.

5. Tek81

Mobster

Candyman (2021)

Added nothing of substance to the original story; if anything it weakened it. They should have kept Todd and Madsen as the antagonists and totally done away with the soul harvesting / transmogrification aspects. Lastly, at only 90 minutes, it simply wasn't long enough to establish any real depth to the characters, nor expand upon the legend of Candyman in any meaningful way.

5/10 - Three points for the cinematography, 2 for the (brief) inclusion of Todd.

6. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Free guy 6/10
    Entertaining enough I guess.

Demonic 4.5/10
    Almost bang average.

7. TurtleTwo

Hitman

Chef 9/10

Brilliant feel good movie, awesome soundtrack. I left it smiling my face off. Loved it.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2021
  8. ivrytwr3

Mobster

Wut?!

Twich streamer cameos were rubbish? I guess you are of a different generation as my kids loved the streamers.

No stand out moments?!

Seeing Free City/GTA rip off.

Captain America's shield, then the Chris Evan cameo.

Hulk fist.

Light sabre and Star Wars music.

+ when the coders were chasing him through the city/tower blocks - very cool.[/spoilers]

9. TurtleTwo

Hitman

I agree. I switched off 3/4 of the way through.

10. Begbie

Caporegime

You're the wrong generation for the movie. I agree it wasn't very good, show my nephew it and its getting a 9/10. Only not a 10/10 because it didn't have enough dinosaurs.

11. fez

Capodecina

I agree and I feel like its been the same for quite a few movies but I watch them because they get high praise in here or in the media so I assume they are "adult friendly".

Clearly a sign I am getting old but so many of the films are really lazy, derivative and completely lack any sort of subtlety. Style over substance and if they want to convey a concept or narrative device they figuratively slap you in the face with it.

12. ianh

Soldato

Free Guy - 5/10 - OK, had a better start, a seriously flat middle and an OK-at-best ending. Lots of "references" for people to geek out about but by 45mins into it I was bored silly with the story and didn't re-engage til the last 15 minutes at most.

13. fez

Capodecina

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic...

Its pretty sad that this is what wins brownie points in peoples eyes if you aren't. More and more "nerd" films are just sticking them full of references to nerd culture instead of actually making a good film. If the good parts of a film is where they lazily insert a reference to another film or a celebrity cameo then its hard to say thats a good film.

14. ivrytwr3

Mobster

This was a popcorn movie, not Schindler's List.

It was a fun ride and something all the family could watch.

I enjoyed it for what it was.

15. Street

Sgarrista

I feel the inclusion of more dinosaurs could bump up the rating of most movies! :D

16. Mr Badger

Sgarrista

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Dinosaurs?

17. Minusorange

Sgarrista

Free Guy 6/10 was alright, very much like Ready Player One but different enough to not be a complete rip off

The Suicide Squad 5/10 much better than the 1st, some funny moments, a bang average film that if you didn't know you wouldn't realise it's in the same universe as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman

18. {SAS}TB

Soldato

The Firm

6/10 - was ok but not as good as I remembered it

19. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Ant Man and the Wasp

About half of the film is good, and it lands most of its jokes well, but the story and action lack punch and I was bored by the time it reached its climax.

Not Marvel's best 5/10

20. Wizzfizz

Capodecina

Hometown 6/10

Last edited: 29 Sep 2021