What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Also watched Mass a few days back, yeah thats one certainly one to challenge the emotions! I went in rather unknown to the actual story beyond the brief outline, so as the realization of the situation became clearer you really feel it.
i wasn't completely sold on some of the actors (by no means a criticism as they all do it justice) but Ann Dowd is a on another level.

Man of Honour
“A Star is Born”, I always had Bradley Cooper down as a quite good actor, maybe not in the Robert de Niro or Laurence Olivier league but he’s reasonably credible, but I had Lady Ga-Ga down as a flash in the pan female Leo Sayer/pound shop female David Bowie, she turned out to be a very capable actress, (in my opinion).
When I recorded it, at my wife’s behest, I thought, ‘Jeez, can I really watch something this long?”
I could, and I’m glad that I did.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Sonic the Hedgehog 2020. Great fun 8/10. It was good to see Jim Carey rekindle some of his old charm. 95 min movie. Just right.

Perfect AV demo material on 4K disc. The sub loved it.

It was alright but the moment that stuck out for me was the chase around the world where Robotnik was blowing the crap out of everything until they got to China and suddenly he admired the scenery until they went to Egypt and then pow! all guns blazing again. :p

Soldato
Also watched Mass a few days back, yeah thats one certainly one to challenge the emotions! I went in rather unknown to the actual story beyond the brief outline, so as the realization of the situation became clearer you really feel it.
i wasn't completely sold on some of the actors (by no means a criticism as they all do it justice) but Ann Dowd is a on another level.
I would add Martha Plimpton to that, both could win best actress.

Associate
Belfast (2021) - 8/10

An enjoyable film focusing on a family caught up in the ‘troubles’ in Northern Ireland.

It’s very entertaining thanks to the young star of the film who has lots of funny moments due to his childhood innocence, but also the way he interacts with his family and the neighborhood community.

Showing the events mostly from his point of view keeps it simple and somewhat emotional, although not as dramatic or informative as it could have been.

Great acting from the cast and filming in black and white, along with iconic references and media from the era, add to the experience, although I did feel as though it was a bit too long near the end.

Associate
Capone (2020) 4/10

Tom Hardy plays the part of the infamous gangster Capone, who having served 10 years in prison is released early on mercy grounds; retreating to a Florida mansion.

Whilst it does feature some gangster scenes, the scenes they do show are surreal (akin to The Shining) and few and far between.

If you think its going to be another Bronson, its not. The film is very depressing.

Associate
Naked Gun - 5/10

Not as funny as I remembered but some good laughs scattered through.

Another Round - 8/10

A Danish film about four teachers who follow a philosophy that having a little alcohol in your system during the day encourages creativity and boosts confidence. An interesting look on both positives and negatives of a tipple and then subsequent alcohol abuse.

Soldato
Last Night In Soho - 6/10

Just didn't quite gel, sort of a blend of telepathic or spiritual time travel but not really sci-fi. Shades of Ghost and Sixth Sense (maybe a bit), little bit woke with the inter-racial relationship. The big reveal/twist I saw coming a mile off though admit Terence Stamp's reveal caught me a bit by surprise.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
A mate and I have been on an Arnie kick.

True Lies - 8/10

Some great dialogue, fantastic set-pieces, very decent casting. We did both absolutely lose it early on when Arnie is escaping from the party in the opening mission, the fakeness of the two Dobermann dogs when he knocks their heads together :D

Commando - 8/10

Similarly, a very fun film. I've gotta say though, I'd forgotten just how (unintentionally? YMMV ;)) homoerotic this film is. The bad guy of the piece (Bennett, played by Vernon Wells) is very definitely in lust with Arnie's character John Matrix :cry:

Soldato
The fifth element. 8/10

cant help my self but watch it when it comes on, is a bit of a guilty pleasure.

great film!
I wouldn't feel guilty about it. It's a classic just for Gary Oldman's part. Willis and Jovovich chemistry is great, Chris Tucker is camper than a VW van. As far as SCi-fi goes its brilliant take by Besson. I'd give it 8.5

Back
Top Bottom