What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Moonfall (2022) - 2/10

Entertaining plot concept but either far too serious and too slow with not enough crazy or exciting moments or far too preposterous to be taken seriously.

The special effects are sometimes spectacular but nothing new, the plot has major issues and the pacing is awful as it jumps back and forth between the different groups.

The leads are ok, but the supporting character are poorly written and acted and the few jokes weren’t funny.

Don
Moonfall (2022) - 2/10

Entertaining plot concept but either far too serious and too slow with not enough crazy or exciting moments or far too preposterous to be taken seriously.

The special effects are sometimes spectacular but nothing new, the plot has major issues and the pacing is awful as it jumps back and forth between the different groups.

The leads are ok, but the supporting character are poorly written and acted and the few jokes weren’t funny.

You'd think a director who only knows disaster movies could sort a decent one two decades later, the film was a farce. I know they're supposed to be far fetched but this was on another level! Quite unbelievable really.

Soldato
Watched about half of Shang Chi last night, will finish it later but don't feel any urgency to do so.

Feels hugely derivative and by the numbers, the CGI is terrible, bus scene especially - nothing particularly good here, really bottom of the barrel Marvel fodder. Only thing i've seen worse than this out of the Marvel stable in last year or so is probably F&WS series.

I will say the martial arts are fairly good but I found myself constantly thinking back and comparing to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon during the opening 1v1 fight.

Finished it last night, second half didn't improve, just CGI overload with a predictable by the numbers story - going to watch Eternals later this week, can it be worse than this?

Soldato
Nightmare Alley (2021) - 6/10

A good and classic story which is well told but overall it lacks mystery and is a bit slow.

It balances the realism and mysticism of the show well, including the darker sides, and humanizes the cast of characters.

Cooper is a charismatic lead and puts on a good performance throughout.

Good review that sums up my thoughts, I really enjoyed Cate Blanchetts performance too.

Caporegime
Gwledd.

Lee Haven Jones (Wizards vs. Aliens, Pobol y Cwm, and the controversial Caerdydd) dips his toe into the porous border between fantasy drama and folk horror with a highly ambitious experimental film that's as weird and creepy as the Welsh language itself.

The staging is mundane: an evening meal hosted by a rich businessman and his wife, assisted by a young waitress hired from the local hotel. But even before the guests arrive, strange tensions are building, and we quickly discover that not everything is at it seems...

What does Euros know about the strange discovery at the heart of the recent prospecting excavation? Where did Cadi learn to cook? Why does Gweirydd keep fondling his genitals? You won't learn the answers to any of these questions, but it's fun to speculate!

Gwledd enjoyed stunning first weekend box office returns of $3,620 in the US and Canada—making it the most commercially successful Welsh film in history—but this grim, slow burning post-modern Celtic noir will suit the taste of only the most discerning audiences.

I rate Gwledd at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out at a sinister 7/10 on IMDB.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mad God.

30 years in the making, Paul Tippett's nightmare-fuelled stop motion fever dream has finally hit the cinemas, and it's a wild ride!

The response from critics and audiences has been as potent as it has been polarised.

Writing for rogerebert.com, Nick Allen described Tippett's masterpiece as 'Violently offensive in ways that defy human comprehension.'

John Bleasedale called it 'a work of a genuine visionary', while Kristy Puchko said it was 'darker, stranger, and much more of a ******** that you could possibly dream.'

In an unusually perceptive review, Walter Chaw wrote 'Mad God is unfettered creation yoked lightly to an archetypical quest substrate that allows us to engage it as a thing with stakes, whatever they might be... It's terrifying not because we understand it, but because we understand it just enough.'

Only he knows what he meant by this. :confused:

Emerging from Mad God's premiere in Munich, a visibly shaken David H. Lynch would only say that the experience was 'Appallingly visceral; a shameless affront to the dignity of God and man.'

Scott Wilson was dismissive ('Before long, its shtick makes its point, and from then it's the same old song on a horrendous loop') yet Dread Central's Grant Watson had nothing but praise ('a hypnotic cinematic experience and a filmmaking marvel').

Mad God is not easily categorised, but its sociopolitical themes are boldly clear, and its message is one that can touch us all.

I rate Mad God at 33.3 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a perfect 10/10 on IMDB.

Last edited:
Soldato
Resident Evil - Welcome to Racoon City - 4/10.
Paid £25 for the 4K disc but might as well have saved £10 and made do with the Blu-ray. Entire story took place at night, appalling lighting even the indoor scenes hard to see what was going on.

Some retconning with a half hearted attempt to tell the backstory of Chris and Claire Redfield, plus Wesker and Leon. The story which was supposed to parallel the events taking place underground in The Hive during the first movie never really gelled and it would have been nice if they could have given "Alice" at least a cameo at some point during the movie, to cement the link.

With hindsight should probably have saved £20 and rented it on iTunes.

Back
Top Bottom