What film did you watch last night?

Don
I wouldn't feel guilty about it. It's a classic just for Gary Oldman's part. Willis and Jovovich chemistry is great, Chris Tucker is camper than a VW van. As far as SCi-fi goes its brilliant take by Besson. I'd give it 8.5
Yep absolutely superb. Was hoping he would do something great with Valerian but it’s just awful.

Soldato
Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) - truly awful. I can't remember if I liked it as a kid or not but it hasn't aged well and neither George Peppard or Robert Vaughn could help this - 2/10, and that's for the Valkyrie's 'assets' :).

Blazing Saddles (1974) - I do still find this film amusing, but some of the racist language used really makes me cringe now 6/10.

Soldato
Decided on a run of unknown SciFi films and started with one called 2067.

Didnt really have much of a clue about what was going on, mediocre acting and a time travelling mess. Liked the soundtrack though. Wouldn't watch again 4/10

Associate
End of Watch (2012)

Jake Gillenhaal and Micheal Pena (who is excellent in Narcos Mexico) star as two hardened LA beat coppers with a tough reputation.

Given this plot, I thought it was going to go down the cliched route and another forgettable cop drama.

I was pleasantly surprised, the story builds up and its actually a really good and gritty film. Highly recommended 8/10.

Something that I couldn't help notice was when the actors used their knee on the throat to restrain criminals.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The House of Gucci - 6/10

Really well shot, great soundtrack, and solid acting performances, but some of the Italian accents completely take you out of the scenes at times. They are that bad.
giphy.gif

Soldato
Watched about half of Shang Chi last night, will finish it later but don't feel any urgency to do so.

Feels hugely derivative and by the numbers, the CGI is terrible, bus scene especially - nothing particularly good here, really bottom of the barrel Marvel fodder. Only thing i've seen worse than this out of the Marvel stable in last year or so is probably F&WS series.

I will say the martial arts are fairly good but I found myself constantly thinking back and comparing to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon during the opening 1v1 fight.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan - 11/10

The best Trek film of them all. Everything about it is excellent - the story, the script, the direction, the VFX, the soundtrack, the cast, all of it.

And yeah, I teared up again when Spock died. I always do. It's a hugely emotional scene, played to perfection by Nimoy and Shatner. Also, to be fair, De Kelley and Jimmy Doohan when McCoy, Scotty and an unnamed engineer grab Kirk as he rushes to the reactor chamber where Spock is.

McCoy: No! You'll flood the whole compartment!
Kirk: He'll die!
Scotty: Sir! He's dead already.
McCoy: (on Kirk's look) It's too late.

None of the impact of this scene is lost for me even after seeing it over and over, even knowing that Spock gets resurrected by the Genesis wave in the next film. It's that well done.

Soldato
Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan - 11/10
It is a great scene. I also love 'First Contact' and there's a scene in that blows my mind every time I see it. It's a female ensign who gets jumped by the Borg in a Jefferies tube. The look on her face as she realises that she's not going to simply die but instead be enslaved and mutilated by the collective, lose her individuality forever and undoubtedly kill her friends and shipmates. All perfectly conveyed in a split second expression and a scream. Absolutely horrifying(ly well acted/written).

Back
Top Bottom