What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

I finally persuaded my wife to watch one of my favourite films and I can't believe she didn't like it at all.

I think it's easily one of the best films either Sean Connery or Michael Caine ever appeared in and they are just delightful to watch for the entire runtime.

9/10
An absolute classic of a film. Reminds me I need to watch it again. It's been year since I last saw it. Totally agree it is one of the best films Connery or Caine starred in.

Caporegime
Blimey that is generous rp!
Maybe a bit generous, watching the Deadpool and Wolverine trailer 10+ times and lots of X-Men '97 might be to blame! But I think they are by far the 2 best Fox Marvel films.

In fact:

Fox Marvel: Logan & Days of Future Past
Sony Marvel:Spider-man 2 & No Way Home
Disney Marvel: Infinity War and Endgame.

All of them are 9 or 9.5 (or maybe even a 10 a good day) movies for me.

rp2000

Associate
Challengers 5/10

A distinctly average film that by the end has no real purpose existing. The tennis scenes devolved into random first person/ball views and weird court angles.

Man of Honour
Monkey Man (2024)

Quite enjoyed this, even though it was mostly subtitles.

Dev Patel stars and directs a John Wick esque/Extraction style action, revenge film.

Apart from the slightly clichéd plot with a bit of Indian culture and politics thrown in there's a lot to like. The fight choreography is good, camera movement and editing is slick and stylish.

There's a few ropey CGI effects (a long shot of him running across shantytown roof tops was particularly poor. Looked worse than the animated section of The Crow) and the video smoothed look isn't to my taste.

6.5/10

Soldato
Strays 7/10

Not a bad film, was hilarious in parts but also sad in some others, the dubbing was good and it was funny to hear dogs swearing, get the feeling sometimes when I throw the ball for my dog he's sat there thinking "Oh FFS!" :cry:

Associate
watched Cash out, strange one, pretty terrible Heist movie, ive seen pieces of 3 by 2 than can act better :cry: , but u know what, i really enjoyed and would watch again as really fun at times
Yeah I watched that last night. Its short but sweet.

I think the ending was a bit naff but most hiest movies run out of steam pretty quick.

Solid 6/10

Caporegime
Monkey Man (2024)

Quite enjoyed this, even though it was mostly subtitles.

Dev Patel stars and directs a John Wick esque/Extraction style action, revenge film.

Apart from the slightly clichéd plot with a bit of Indian culture and politics thrown in there's a lot to like. The fight choreography is good, camera movement and editing is slick and stylish.

There's a few ropey CGI effects (a long shot of him running across shantytown roof tops was particularly poor. Looked worse than the animated section of The Crow) and the video smoothed look isn't to my taste.

6.5/10
I'd say it was 20% subtitled? Mostly english.

The most obvious CGI was some blood coming out of a goons neck in the elavator.

I'd give it 7.75/10 though, Dev Patels first movie and he managed that!

Soldato
Yeah I watched that last night. Its short but sweet.

I think the ending was a bit naff but most hiest movies run out of steam pretty quick.

Solid 6/10
the ending was like, seriously is that the best you can come up with :cry:.
though i did enjoy the connection/scenes between Travolta and Davies. gave me a few chuckles.

Man of Honour
The Hill (1965)

Another favourite film of mine that I persuaded my wife to watch, despite her not liking The Man Who Would be King (the mind boggles.) Thankfully she liked this one.

The opening shot is just amazing considering when it was made and the camera technology available and rest of the film is full of original camera work. The acting, direction and editing are all top tier. Even the dialogue is something Tarantino would be proud off and the whole film stands shoulder to shoulder against anything made today or in the years since.

9.5/10

Soldato
I'm going through the star wars collection again. Yes it's dated, but I remember watching new hope on a massively cut down version on a 8mm home sort of projector with a tiny few inch screen as a boy. Many memories
Similar sort of thing but from the late 70's :cry:
sddefault.jpg

Caporegime
Jeepers Creepers Reborn

Made during covid and has a lot of really obvious blue screen environments that really stick out. First 2 movies were ok and the third was sorta surprising with how it panned out Spoiler: the third movie is set literally hours before the events of the second movie and sets the second movie in motion at the end, just not sure why they didn't continue on from the third instead of a reboot.

Overall pretty meh, other movies were done better.

Back
Top Bottom