What film did you watch last night?

Late Night with the Devil - im not really a horror fan but the premise of this one pricked my ears due to its originality. Well worth a watch if you have a spare 90 or so minutes!
Watched this last night, I'll agree with you but will put a score on it - 7/10 well worth a watch, captured the 70s really well

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched Layer Cake last night. Years since I'd seen it and Mrs EddScott hadn't seen it before. With Daniel Craig and a very young looking Tom Hardy, how could she refuse?

I'd forgotten just how could a film it is. Not as overly stylised as Lock Stock and Snatch and it's all the better for it.

A Gandalf Gangster 8/10 "Very Good"

Reactions: fez
Caporegime
Watched Layer Cake last night. Years since I'd seen it and Mrs EddScott hadn't seen it before. With Daniel Craig and a very young looking Tom Hardy, how could she refuse?

I'd forgotten just how could a film it is. Not as overly stylised as Lock Stock and Snatch and it's all the better for it.

A Gandalf Gangster 8/10 "Very Good"
Do you mean Dumbledore?

Soldato
Just watched Arcadian. enjoyed. Effects pretty decent, sounds made me jump on occasion, the Sub bangs but feels like a B movie, camera works has Blair witch about it, its very A quiet place ISH, similar sort of thing I guess. Cage is pretty decent. Can see a sequel.
Overall 6.5.maybe 7 at a push.

Reactions: Kyo
Caporegime
X-Men (2000). 8/10

The original X-men is probably my 3rd favourite of the mutant movies overall. It's a great introduction to all the main characters and sows the seeds for all the future films. Before watching this originally, the only X-Men I had seen was the animated series. Seeing those characters in live action for the 1st time was pretty cool, even if their powers and back stories vary a bit from the animation.

Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman look so young. Ian McKellan looks so old! The special effects are really good for their time.

Sadly both it's sequels were never as good for me, despite having even more mutants, big name actors and better special effects. Still planning on watching X2 and X3 in the next few days, just for the nostalgia.

rp2000

Man of Honour
Basket Case (1982)

Didn't see this when it was first released but always remember seeing it in the video shop, but never renting it for some reason.

I have to say, unless you have serious nostalgia for the film then it's very poor by any standards. The acting is particularly bad, the story almost non existent, the effects aren't that good even for its time and it's neither scary or that gory.

I will say that they deserve credit for what they achieved on the budget they had and it made money. But that's about all that's credit worthy.

2/10

Soldato
Basket Case (1982)

Didn't see this when it was first released but always remember seeing it in the video shop, but never renting it for some reason.

I have to say, unless you have serious nostalgia for the film then it's very poor by any standards. The acting is particularly bad, the story almost non existent, the effects aren't that good even for its time and it's neither scary or that gory.

I will say that they deserve credit for what they achieved on the budget they had and it made money. But that's about all that's credit worthy.

2/10

Heh, that's a blast from the past. Yea, Basket Case wasn't that great, in that genre I much preferred Brain Damage (1988) and of course the pinnacle of splatter movies Braindead (1992) by Peter Jackson.

But usually the acting and budget aren't very good in any of those types of films if compared to mainstream stuff.

Soldato
Forest Gump
A very rare 10/10

Hard to fault this film in any way. It gets better each time I watch it and notice more little things.
Seen this so many times over the years and never get bored of it. It's just one of those rare near perfect films. Great story, cast and directing.

First time was on cinema release.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Late Night with the Devil - 8/10

I watched this not knowing a single thing about it beforehand, hadn't even seen a trailer. And I thought it was great. Loved the way it was shot, the look and feel of it was perfect with the contrast between the 'TV show' scenes and the BTS ones. David Dastmalchian was great as Jack Delroy, in fact all the cast were really good.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I seen a few posts of people mentioning Alien 3 wasnt bad particularly the directors cut. I havent watched it since release. Surprisingly they were right. yes there was some awful plot holes which made no sense and some really dubious decisions. Ignoring these points it was better than i remembered. The cast put in a solid performance and the overall effects were ok for its time. Overall 5.5/10

It was another example where the director was unable to make the movie he wanted because of studio inference.

I particularly liked Renny Harlin's idea for Alien 3 where they would visit the Xenomorphs homeworld (Prometheus *yes it wasnt exactly homeword but did explore more of their origin*) but certainly was a missed opportunity. Again Fox shot it down thinking they knew better.

Last edited:
Soldato
I seen a few posts of people mentioning Alien 3 wasnt bad particularly the directors cut. I havent watched it since release. Surprisingly they were right. yes there was some awful plot holes which made no sense and some really dubious decisions. Ignoring these points it was better than i remembered. The cast put in a solid performance and the overall effects were ok for its time. Overall 5.5/10

It was another example where the director was unable to make the movie he wanted because of studio inference.

I particularly liked Renny Harlin's idea for Alien 3 where they would visit the Xenomorphs homeworld (Prometheus *yes it wasnt exactly homeword but did explore more of their origin*) but certainly was a missed opportunity. Again Fox shot it down thinking they knew better.

Never understood the hate for alien 3, only criticism I had of it was the CGI that aged extremely badly.

Back
Top Bottom