What game did you play last?

Soldato
It's almost purely random. You have a hand of cards. Each turn you play cards then draw a card. If you draw an exploding kitten, you lose unless you can play a defuse card. Some cards stop you drawing cards. Last person not to lose wins.

You should see the logic of why this is a bad game already, but in case you don't: if you lose by drawing the wrong card, then you should try to draw as few cards as possible. But the only way to do that is to play as many skip cards as possible. So, whoever draws the most skip cards will almost inevitably win.

I totally agree with this.
All that hype for what is a very poor game. Glad I didn't back it.
And it's not their only entry into the gaming world either.

Soldato

Wrong subforum. This is traditional games, not video games.

Sunday we played Eldritch Horror (vs Hastur, easy win). Followed up with Spiel des Jahres winner Azul, which I hated and didn't even bother finishing.

Monday there was an irregular group on, mostly people who play much lighter or casual games (it's where I had the Kittens inflicted on me). We opened with Codenames Pictures as an icebreaker before splitting up. My table played Between Two Cities and Dream Home, and they were playing Sushi Go Party when I had to leave.

Associate
Finally played the second session of Pandemic Legacy (played the first new years eve), we managed to win with one card left on the player card pile, using the last possible action to cure the last disease. Was a pretty tense few turns as we watched the pile dwindle down.

Soldato
A few maps of Zombicide: Green Horde with all abominations available. Was fairly easy, got frowned at for suggesting we remove the siege weapons.
Some Fury of Dracula (1st ed.). We got very close to the toothy fiend several times but he managed to get away.
Pandemic: Iberia with some advanced rules. Came close but run out of cards
And Pathfinder Homebrew where we are all level 20 which is interesting. You can't crit or flank air elemental. This is a problem for 2 of us rogues.

Soldato
Played a couple of games new to me yesterday.

NMBR9 is a game of tessellating and stacking number-shaped tiles at the direction of a deck of cards. Tiles can only be placed on top of other tiles if there is no overhang and if they touch at least two tiles on the level below. Each tile is worth its printed value multiplied by the number of levels below it, so a 7 tile placed in the third level is worth 14 and so on. It's not set-the-world-on-fire stuff, but as a 20-minute filler it's pleasant enough.

Order of the Gilded Compass is a dice allocation game with modular setup: there are six modules of which only two are used in any given game. Players take it in turns to place dice on actions. Once all dice are placed, they collect treasure maps, surveyors and diggers according to the final sequence of dice. Modules also give secret missions, set collection goals, sunken or hidden treasure, magic items, or special powers. After 5 or 6 rounds depending on player count everyone adds up the value of their treasure, and the most value wins. It's quite simple and engaging, and due to the modular nature of the game you don't need to learn all the rules at once and most of the components stay in the box. Playtime is meant to be about an hour, but add 15 minutes on to that.

In between we had a round of Perfect Hotel, a nice little Japanese filler I picked up last year. It's sort of like four-player rummy, where you can draw and discard cards to try and make your sets or use the discards from the board instead. It might be hard to find now, though; Japon Brand games often only ever see release at Spiel, with them bringing the entire print run for collection by pre-order.

Soldato
A quick game of Captain Sonar on Sunday morning. Its an advanced version of Battleship essentially and a team game where each player has control of a 'station' aboard a submarine (4 players per team max.)
As a first play, we did the turn by turn version. I was the radio operator and had to listen to other team and the directions they move in and record them on my map. Handy piece of plastic sheet so you can move it around to work out there they might be. Engineering had to mark off various parts of equipment, each relating to a compass bearing (when full, wipe clean). The First Mate sets the course and the Captain decides what will be used when each item is 'charged'.
We found the opposition quite quickly and hit them with a torpedo before they managed to run silent so we had to make an educated guess which way they went (can't cross your own path unless you surface). Managed to get them with a mine after taking their torpedo up the tail pipe. Also almost boxed ourselves in chasing them so ended up running away as the tables were turned. Lost in the end as we couldn;t ready anything quick enough.

The more advanced version has both teams taking their turns at the same time so is a lot more chaotic. Am considering buying. Great fun.

Soldato
That Captain Sonar looks great. Might try to get a game one day.

As for us, we have had a bit of a gaming break due to work and other things but we managed to get a game of MtG in the other day and also the original Pandemic with all Epidemic cards in play. managed to cure all but one but would have manged it if we had one more go :( We have also played Ticket to Ride Europe twice in the last nights. both of us winning one each. going to get Talisman on the table next and also get her play Blood Bowl for the first time.

Soldato
My Brass Kickstarter finally arrived, and I got Lancashire to the table last night. Great game, and the new edition is beautiful (especially the Deluxe version with the poker chips). Looking forward to trying Birmingham at a later date so I can see what's different.

Associate
On the weekend we had some friends over and managed to get a few games in ,we played a bit of batman love letter as a warm up and then played some twilight imperium (new version ,v4?) And then epic spell wars to finish the night off.

Soldato
Played some Azul recently, an enjoyable game with enough strategy to keep it interesting, your choices do matter, reasonably easy to learn, and short enough to not feel like it drags on. The pieces are also well made and of good quality.

I need to get my sister a new game for Christmas in the £30 region, anything that is similar to Azul, Carcassonne, Camel Up, Kingdomino that people can recommend?

Must be reasonably simple to learn, not too long (around an hour is fine) and not too competitive.

Soldato
Played some Azul recently, an enjoyable game with enough strategy to keep it interesting, your choices do matter, reasonably easy to learn, and short enough to not feel like it drags on. The pieces are also well made and of good quality.

I need to get my sister a new game for Christmas in the £30 region, anything that is similar to Azul, Carcassonne, Camel Up, Kingdomino that people can recommend?

Must be reasonably simple to learn, not too long (around an hour is fine) and not too competitive.

Celestia. £18.25 on Amazon right now, you can get the first expansion inside your budget as well (and should).

Commissario
I popped into our local club the other night and did my first game of proper 40k with my original army in years.

I'm trying to get into the habit of actually playing more than one or two weekends a year, as at the moment every time I play it seems like it's a new ruleset :p

Tau vs Deathgard, I wasted two turns trying to kill a blight hauler as I didn't really think about it properly, when I should have been firing at the pox walkers and deathguard.

When I started firing at the poxies and DG i took them down fairly fast, but still lost 2-6 (he wiped out my suits, both FW squads and Fireblade).

Last edited:
Soldato
Started in on the Spiel loot.

The Faceless: Co-op game where you have to mutually navigate a maze to collect eight items before the monsters get you. Theme is roughly "Stranger Things as written by Neil Gaiman", difficulty level is "the Marquis de Sade thought it was a bit much" - although I may have got a magnet in backwards. I like it though.

Gingerbread House: Tile laying game from the designer of Barenpark, where players are witches trying to attract the most fairytale creatures to their houses and lock them all up. Good fun, I enjoyed it.

Astro Drive: Card-driven space racing game where players try to navigate a course as quickly as possible without hitting anything. Takes 15-20 minutes, though ultimately it may not hold my interest.

Associate
Azul: Stained Glass of Sintra: Intentionally less tight/cutthroat than the original. Still good but less so for me.
6.5/10

Forum Trajanum: An interesting collection of mechanisms, but dryer than the Sahara theme wise. Stefan Feld generally isn't a designer for me and this does nothing to change that.
6/10

Soldato
Continuing to work my way through my Spiel acquisitions.

Bluffing Billionaires: humourous light filler card game where players take the role of famous wealthy people (Trump, Elon Musk, Bill Gates etc) trying to act even richer while spending the least money they can, but if you try spending too little then other players get to grab your assets.

Newton: card driven game about being a scientist in 17th-18th century Europe. Each round you play five cards to take actions; each card has a symbol which determines the action you take, and the strength of the action is determined by the number of those symbols you have in your display. At the end of the round, you store one of the cards you played to permanently add its symbol to the display. So if you store a Study action all your future Study actions are stronger, but you need to get more Study cards or you can only take the action by playing your one Joker. Very clever, requires a lot of forward planning.

Solenia: card driven game about gathering resources to fill contracts. However, the game is centred on a constantly moving airship and you can only fill contracts at certain times depending where it is. Takes about 45 minutes, very nice.

Catalyst: tableau builder with variable scoring. You can win by buying tons of cards, but it's easier to win by buying the buildings which activate four scoring conditions and also provide bonus actions. I like it right now, but it may not stay fresh.

Soldato
Played Haha Super Rhino with the kids and it was a huge hit, what was supposed to be a quick 10 minutes blast before bed ended up an hour long run playing multiple games. Can see that being a favourite for a while.

Back
Top Bottom