What game did you play last?

Caporegime
Last game I played was machi koro with my girl
It's better with more people at boardgame club where both of us go

Boardgame club lasts 9 hours and we usually get 4 games played

Soldato
Last night was three games with my Sunday group:

7 Wonders with seven - a weird game where first place was a four way tie.

Cthulhu Wars with four (Sleeper, Yellow Sign, Crawling Chaos, Windwalker) - Windwalker took an early lead and just managed to hold off CC despite a late surge where she killed three GOOs in the final action phase. I was Yellow Sign and never really got rolling, so inevitably finished last.

Internal Affairs with seven - this one's becoming really popular with that group and now everyone knows it it plays in 30 minutes. Game ended with a Triad victory shortly after the decks ran out as the first Cop player got eliminated on 13 and dropped a Hand Grenade only to watch a second Cop flip both the remaining 13s.

Soldato
End of last year I picked up some games to play with family. Over Christmas we only got round to playing Camel Cup, but last weekend I played more.

Camel Cup - Fun game that while simple at first gets more strategic the more you play it. We had two very close games with people getting tripped up towards the end.

Takenoko - I don't own this (yet), a lot of fun to play though. The 'board' grows as you play and means you get different outcomes each time. The different actions are well thought out and the box, game and pieces are nicely designed. Again, fairly straight forward but the strategy grows.

Pandemic - Was my first time playing this. As expected we didn't beat the game, but had a lot of fun in the process. Ended up running out of the cards rather than being overtaken by outbreaks. We already started strategising for our next game, looking forward to playing this again.

Lost Cities - First time with this as well, first go round it was picking up the tactics but the second and third it was a lot clearer what to achieve and how to get there. A lot less discarding than I expected at the start and a good game with quite a bit of variety and thought.

Overall I really enjoyed all of these and I'm hoping I can get some friends on board to play them again soon. Any tips for other games as well, Betrayal at House on the Hill sounds like it would be fun.

If anyone knows a table-top gaming group near Milton Keynes I'd be interested.

Soldato
Game group yesterday and we played:

Dead of Winter: 5 players. Had the game won but had to do the colony phase one last time. Shortage of food cost us morale, failed Crisis cost us morale, zombies over ran entrance #1 at the colony. The first character to die in this case lost us 1 more morale. The player controlling the next character to be infected chose to kill his character off bringing morale to 0. He was also the traitor! So damned close and we actually thought we might have gotten away without a traitor...!

Incan Gold: A quick push your luck game before going back to something a little heavier. Over 5 rounds I won with a rather lucky first round paying out lots of gold!

Castles of Burgundy: Only my 3rd game and teaching 2 new players in the process! Everyone got the hang of the game fairly quickly and after a few rounds the game was running smoothly. I was out of it fairly early due to some poor strategy but made a late push but it was too little. The winner was a closely contested result with just 3 points separating 1st and 2nd!

Also played a game with my dad this morning:

Jaipur: Trading goods and sometimes camels to earn enough Rupees to become the Maharajah's personal trader - a new game to both of us. Plays quickly but has enough complexity and wrinkles thrown in to make it interesting each time. Brilliant 2 player game!

Associate
Over the last few weeks I have been playing lots and lots of:

The Resistance: Avalon - a game where players attempt to deduce one another's identities, where Arthurian Knights (and Merlin) are trying to complete quests that Mordred and his Minions are attempting to sabotage their every move. A great game but really needs 7/8 players.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - a half table top half PC game where the bomb defuser uses a computer and is presented with a bomb with multiple modules to defuse. The experts (the other players) have copies of the manual and through verbal communication alone need to help the defuser through each module.

Soldato
Game night last night for me as well. Played a couple of hands of Red 7 while we waited for the last person to arrive. It's basically Fluxx except good.

After that I got a new acquisition onto the table: King Chocolate, an abstract area control/logistics game. Players move cubes through six stages of making chocolate, and each time a cube moves off a stage whoever controls the area it came from earns $1. However, you can only control four of the six stages personally, so your aim is to make it appealing for other players to cooperate with you either by picking up your cubes so they can move them on from their own areas or sending their cubes to you so that you can do it.

Lastly we had a game of Belfort, the city building game where you use elves, dwarfs and gnomes to construct the five districts of a city. Points are scored for building the majority in each of the districts and for employing the most of the three different races - but for every full 5 points you score, you get taxed $1 in every following round.For once I didn't win, mostly because I forgot I could use guilds in the first round, but I only finished 3 points down and I did perfectly hit tax breakpoints in both the first two scoring rounds so I'm pleased with that.

Soldato
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - a half table top half PC game where the bomb defuser uses a computer and is presented with a bomb with multiple modules to defuse. The experts (the other players) have copies of the manual and through verbal communication alone need to help the defuser through each module.

This is great fun in the Gear VR :) One of my favourite things to do with the headset.

Associate
Ticket to ride (European version).

Really fun, and not just saying that because I won.
I'm not sure how much the tunnels added - they were more an annoyance than anything else, but still an interesting game.

4 players (all new to it) - took about 2 hours. Can see it being much faster with an experienced group, or if you decide to play it as a fast-turns game instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got a game of Eldritch Horror in on Friday. We had some major bad luck in the early game - the harder of Yig's two epic monster mysteries first, followed by the other one. We were able to kill the second one on the last turn, but we needed that last turn to finish the third mystery.

Soldato
We had friends down over the weekend to play Firefly. A 9 hour session on Saturday for just one 1 story resulted in a win for me. Took 7 hours just to get the first goal. We did manage to play with 6 people though and all expansions.
Despite the time, everyone enjoyed it.

There were also games of Camel Cup, Forbidden Island and Zombicide.

Soldato
House on the haunted hill, awesome game, sometimes lacking decent instructions when it hits the fan though.

You mean Betrayal at House on the Hill?

Last night was a round of Crokinole with three, a quick five-player game of Entropy, Antarctica (which I've played before) and Quadropolis, which wasn't bad but left me cold. I'd rather play Between Two Cities, which is half as long and twice as good.

Caporegime
Two train based games today, with the wife and two kids - 6 and 9.

First was The Great Game of Britain. I don't like this, but my wife does. It's from the 80s and it shows. You roll a dice and move around a map of Britain trying to visit half a dozen places, but various things cause you to have to pick up "hazard" cards which just mess up what you're trying to do or where you're trying to get to. There's way too much chance.

Second was Ticket to Ride: Europe. I've played this before, but no one else had. The 6 year old sort of played with me, the 9 year old played on her own got the hang of it and ended up beating us. The hardest bit for her was spotting where the cities were on the map when she was choosing destination cards. The wife got to grips with it as well, which can be a bit of a hurdle! So yeah, a good time had by all.

Soldato
Got to play Time Stories recently. Can't say I was impressed. Its pretty much a team based detective game.

When you run out of time, you go back to the start of the 'loop' so you can retain any knowledge you picked up on the way. Its a game of trial and error so no risk. Just takes a while and thats it. For some reason its got good reviews.

Also, Pandemic Legacy. Our group has just finished August. Loving it so far.

Soldato
Played Takenoko, Lords of Waterdeep and Catan yesterday.

Third time of playing Lords of Waterdeep, I really like this game, I think maybe because -

- No dice rolling, so less random acts to screw you over
- You can't really tell who's winning until you work out bonuses at the end
- Generally there isn't much screwing each other over too

20160417_182313_zpsqb2dko2i.jpg

Soldato
As posted in the thread about the UK Games Expo, over the weekend I played Splendor, Star Wars: X-Wing, Loony Quest, Runebound, Shadows Over Chamelot and Codenames.

Really enjoyed Splendor. Very simple and quick to pick up, quick to play, but great fun.

I can also see why Star Wars: X-Wing gets so expensive. I spent around £100 myself and had to stop myself from spending more!

Back
Top Bottom