What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Hit a pothole and blew out my sidewall on a £200 tyre. Was supposed to be driving 200+ miles home today from the lake district. Now stuck here waiting for new tyre to turnup tomorrow. Had 2 tyre options. £80 budget or £275. FML

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Has anyone on here tried MEGUIARS Headlight Restoration Kit? I'm a bit skeptical of lacquering the lights, knowing me I'll probably make it worse...

Caporegime
I just use a couple of different grades of ultra file glass paper then some really aggressive cutting compound, then buff up, then use regular spray lacquer for car paintwork. Works.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I just use a couple of different grades of ultra file glass paper then some really aggressive cutting compound, then buff up, then use regular spray lacquer for car paintwork. Works.
What grade do you use? 800 then 2000 or? Aggressive cutting compound? Like Meguiars M105 or M100?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Swapped the all seasons over to winter tyres today on the pickup. It's getting chilly here. Then almost broke my back lifting the damn things on to the tyre rack, 265/70 r17s are heavy :(

I bought myself a floor jack recently so got to use that for the first time too. :) Was much quicker and easier than using the emergency Scissor jack. Just need to clean the pickup and wheels of all the dust from the dirt roads ready to get covered in crap from winter driving. :(

The car wheels need to be done too but we need to get a new set of winter tyres as the tread is pretty much worn out on them.

IMG_4887.jpg

Soldato
What grade do you use? 800 then 2000 or? Aggressive cutting compound? Like Meguiars M105 or M100?

Paging @Hyburnate cos I think he's done this. I used 1000 then 2000 and M105 on a DA.

Might be better ways to do it!

Haven't done it (other than when with you) but know how too :p @IC3 - How bad are they? This will let you know how low you have to go, you may have to go to 600 perhaps lower to 400 and beyond.

Ensure you keep as much lubrication as possible, perhaps some shampoo and water in a spray bottle. Do it a alternate movements, so if 1000 is horizontal movements, the next will be vertical.

I'd always finish with something very fine like 3000, you'll need to step up to it, 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 3000 for example.

I'd top it with the likes of GTechniq C5, you could use any lacquer with UV protection however.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
They aren't that bad, I could probably leave it till after winter finishes. The hazing is only just showing up...

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Switched the exterior and interior lights to LED's, I'll get some better pictures tomorrow. The Civic is a pain in the... tomorrow I've to take the whole center console off just to swap the radio.

22450751_2387879961438103_1527176783_o.jpg

Soldato
Switched the exterior and interior lights to LED's, I'll get some better pictures tomorrow. The Civic is a pain in the... tomorrow I've to take the whole center console off just to swap the radio.

Don’t worry it’s a doddle to take off! :) pops out nice and easy, seem to remember taking the trim around the gearstick first for a bit of leverage

Man of Honour
Possibly drove past a handheld camera. Could have been over 40 in a 30. Not sure. Was a weird one, quiet road and no police car in sight. The person was dressed darkly and there was a flash out of the driveway as I was alongside. Oh well, waiting game I guess.

Soldato
I had a strange little womble point a handheld Gun of some sort at me on the A350 last week - was a very odd thing to do as it was in a 20 zone where realistically traffic could never be going much over 20 (other side of a tight, narrow bend) anyway so I'm not sure what they were up to. The same town was littered with posters about how HGV's were destroying the place so they were possibly just all a bit bored.

Man of Honour
This was the kind of place where I could imagine that happening to be honest. Also strange that there wasn't a police car in sight anywhere nearby on the roads and I would have expected some kind of visibility clothing rather than mostly dark. That said, I do need to take more care at times!

Back
Top Bottom