What have you done to your car today?

The sills need doing on my MX-5 (surprise!), so had a look underneath to make sure the chassis rails were not turning to Swiss cheese as well (the reports from similar aged MX-5s on the owners forum makes for scary reading).
The rails had a bit of surface rust, but were still solid, so now I get to spend a decent chunk in getting the car back up to a decent condition :(

Dropped my spare alloys off for refurbishment and now I'm sorting out quotes for a body shop to do the sills, tidy up the surface rust on the chassis rails and then use loads of Waxoyl/Dinitrol/etc. to keep everything protected for a couple more years.

Hoovered the interior as it was gopping, and cleaned and oiled the air and ICV filters along with the induction kit.
Also gave the crankcase a bit of clean after the breather hose popped loose and sprayed the engine bay with more enthusiasm than a premature ejaculator at a bukkake shoot.

Haven't had chance to give it a good rag yet, not had it on track but plan to do so later this year as once my cams are in (They are just sat under my bed atm :( ) I'm going to cut the spending down and get on some of the OCUK track days!

Washed it, polished it, cleaned the windows and I have finally managed to get rid of the white crap from the door panel and wheel arch by using a Meguiar's Quick Clay bar kit for £14.99 at Mills. It came straight off! :o I was and still am amazed. I will be using a clay bar from now on!

The bushed rear diff casing to lift the whole car?

Cant say i'd advise that.

On the E36 the rear diff is conveniently mounted in its own subframe which bolts to the floor in four places and has a fantastic jacking point.

you can lift the whole rear in no time with no effort at all

Fine lifting off the diff casing anyway, everyone does it and has done since the dawn of time without ill effects.

Says the man whos just had to replace broken rubber engines mounts :p

Everyone includes main dealers using service manuals? Didn't think so.

Only advise anyway. You strain the bushes to support half the vehicle weight in a direction they arent really designed to support.

the subframe i was talking about earlier is maybe 10cm further away to place the jack

i think the rear bracket on the diff is aluminium, i wont be lifting the car via the diff

Says the man whos just had to replace broken rubber engines mounts :p

Everyone includes main dealers using service manuals? Didn't think so.

Only advise anyway. You strain the bushes to support half the vehicle weight in a direction they arent really designed to support.

Engine mounts have what to do with diffs? I'm not arsed about a little strain on the bushes, I'm pretty sure hard driving puts more strain on them. They're only thin solid rubber sleeves around the bolts anyway, not like they are going to tear.

WRT service manuals.. Well Nissan tell you to jack from the diff.
022.gif

Make your mind up :p

What he means is that on these particular cars, there is a solid member just in front of the diff. A better place to jack from, but a pain in the ass if you don't have a long reach jack

Back
Top Bottom