What have you done to your car today?

Back to what I did. Put front bumper back on properly after a small grassy verge pulled it off. Attempted to fit second exhaust hanger but the captive bolt in the bracket snapped so I'll have to drill it out now, PITA.
Going drifting on Sunday so got 4 tyres mounted up yesterday, my shiny new helmet arrived and all is ready. All I need to do it not get too excited and collide with the wall again :D
Speaking of which, it's not been washed in 2 months so I might give it a quick spruce up this evening.

Well, after 3 hours and a LOT of swearing, I managed to fit my Final Stage Resistor... and it works! you don't realise how much you need the blowers until they've gone.

I bet I could do it in 30minutes again if needed too

I spilt 90% of my washer fluid while fixing my windscreen washers last week, so filled the bottle back up with 5ltr of fluid.

Imagine my surprise when I turned the ignition on this morning to find the washer fluid warning light illuminated, and upon inspection the bottle 90% empty again.

Took a look into the problem this afternoon and it turns out there is a very slow leak from the pump. Seems to be quite a common problem and it could well be the cause of my initial low-pressure situation.

Have ordered a replacement off eBay and will get it fitted when it arrives. It's one of those jobs that's just not worth taking it into BMW for, especially with the £100 excess on my warranty.

I spilt 90% of my washer fluid while fixing my windscreen washers last week, so filled the bottle back up with 5ltr of fluid.

Imagine my surprise when I turned the ignition on this morning to find the washer fluid warning light illuminated, and upon inspection the bottle 90% empty again.

Took a look into the problem this afternoon and it turns out there is a very slow leak from the pump. Seems to be quite a common problem and it could well be the cause of my initial low-pressure situation.

Have ordered a replacement off eBay and will get it fitted when it arrives. It's one of those jobs that's just not worth taking it into BMW for, especially with the £100 excess on my warranty.

Pump is about 6 quid isn't it?

Well, I got the intercooler pipe needed back off my mate who has done a sterling job of cutting and welding it to suit the turbo.

Took it out for a blast last night to see what the mani, decat and external wastegate are like, and oh my word! Feels soo much more better being able to keep my foot firmly down and not have to worry about boost creep and fuel cut! The wastegate has a 0.8 bar spring in it, so just a little over 0.1 bar over stock.

However, on the way back home, the coolant temp gauge just suddenly shot up and engine light came on. Immediately killed the engine and pulled in to find the bottom radiator hose had popped off and dumped all of its contents over the road, turns out the hose clip was never put back on properly! Got the hose on, clip on, filled the rad back up again, started her up and temp was back to normal and no engine light on. Top job.

Moved the car a bit and noticed a puddle darker than the rest, turns out it was oil! :( Now I'm getting worried, looked under the car to find the entire lower engine bay and suspension on the drivers side is covered, and I mean COVERED in oil, dripping. Started it up after checking there was still oil in the car, no knocking noises, no oil leaking out from anywhere on idle or on low revs. Hopefully it's just the banjo bolt on oil feed for the turbo not being tight enough at high revs :( Either that or my crank seal has given up on life. Seems to have come from the front of the engine block though, so hopefully it's the oil feed line.

Gingerly drove it home at low speed (only lived a mile away from where I pulled in), and I'm going to give it all a good check over tomorrow.

Last edited:
I managed to get a sound clip that quite accurately portrays the rattle/creak I've got. Anyone (in particular anyone who's had a mk3 Mondeo) got any idea what it might be?!

Turn the volume up loud, and listen from 10 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANM7_NmxZvI&hd=1

I also sat in the passenger seat and had a crawl around whilst being driven to see if I could localise it - pretty sure it's not coming from the actual dashboard, but I then took the nearside front wheel off and had a poke around under there and couldn't feel anything make the noise :(

Grr!

Filled it up with Vpower Nitro plus. Gained 10hp

Then wore some tread off tyres to make up for 2wks of not driving it due to holiday.

Back
Top Bottom