1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Finished adapter harness to see how well using a MAF on a standalone ECU works, combined with the fuel pump to fit I should have something that now feels like an OEM calibrated car to drive

[​IMG]

2. Amp34

Caporegime

Apparently cracked the windscreen. Just noticed it so I must be recent.

I didn't crack it last year so I guess that's a positive. Now do I replace it or just leave it? It's about four foot long but under the windscreen wipers so doesn't impede visibility.

3. Uther

Sgarrista

What are the rules over there about windscreens?

4. Amp34

Caporegime

Technically it’s illegal, but it’s so common that unless it’s impeding vision police don’t really care.

I’ll wait until May when they sweep the roads and get it replaced then probably. Cracking more than one a winter will be annoying!

Unfortunately it’s idiots cutting in too close when overtaking and spraying the car with rocks that’s the problem. I’ve probably got half a dozen or more paint chips I’ll have to sort out in spring too.

5. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

6. -westy-

Capodecina

@Amp34 whereabouts in Canada are you?

7. grudas

Capodecina

8. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

It came as part of a bigger Autofinesse pack when Halfrauds were doing 50% off last year some time so didn't actually pay that, had never used it before.

What are the cheaper options as I think it'll be something I do more often.

9. grudas

Capodecina

super cheap, not something I've tried but they're all much of the muchness bar different smell.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5L-Fal...h=item44034207a0:g:P~MAAOSwySZb2krC:rk:3:pf:0

or something from a more "detailing" focused brand -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fallout-...Qr2PmGqnuco2QJCTSmtTwcUY0Nm0qiNWOQfSXZbl5dYg6

10. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Paid my car tax, sorry VED.

11. neil_g

Sgarrista

Had a full (biggy) service, timing belt, water pump, MOT on the Golf+.

And then handed the keys to the other half. RIP Golf.

12. Uther

Sgarrista

Washed it for the first time in months, it was minging.

13. Amp34

Caporegime

Calgary. Cracked windscreen capital of the world. :D

On the positive side I just got some quotes for a new one and it’s only $200 (£130) installed so not too bad.

14. Acme

Caporegime

Saying car tax is close enough, better than saying road tax. :p

15. adwol48

Hitman

Changed the cabin filter on my mk2 focus. It was rocking a ford oem filter still given that was 12 years old thought it might need changing even though my car has only done 45k ( 15k two years ago when i bought it) on a side note think the engineer that designed the focus needs a slap for making it such a faff to get at the cabin filter. I had to remove the glove box, the internal fuse box and the fuse box mount and then the cover for the filter and then replace it all.

16. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

17. RedvGreen

Mobster

Finally collected the car from the detailers after it's IGL coating...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Loooooovely...

I want to do something like this, but my car has quite a few imperfections such as scratch here, stone chip there etc. Do they fix all that as a part of the service and how clean do you need to bring the car in for them to start?

Oh, and how long do they take?

19. RedvGreen

Mobster

Mine went in absolutely filthy - I had been away for a few days beforehand so didn't have time to wash it. Literally so dirty you couldn't see the reg plates.

As part of the coating, the detailer did the 'keying' and 'smoothing' processes to help the ceramic coating to bond, as well as degreasing and claying the car to remove impurities and embedded dirt. He noticed that there were quite a few scratches on it (despite being only 2 months old) here are some pics of some of what he wet-sanded out and polished out:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This car was with him originally Mon - Fri, but due to the snow/ice, he was snowed in (worked from home) so I couldn't collect for another 3 days, so he actually spent 5 days on it in total, which was fine as it allowed the ceramic coating to cure in his garage, as opposed to my driveway!

20. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Well my car has the typical wear and tear you expect from a 8 year old car, not 2 months. I don't expect showroom new but obviously I'd like it better.

How much was his service? I might do this in the summer and walk to work for a week.