1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Phemo

Soldato

I have missed not having it in this car but wouldn’t have retrofitted everything just for the purpose of having them. It’s just a nice bonus that I gain heated seats as well as a nicer interior :)

Heated steering wheel is definitely a nice one to have. I've never owned a car with it but did have it on a hire car in Colorado last year. Definitely came in handy there.

2. Duke

Man of Honour

One bulb was on its way out so swapped it out on both sides.

[​IMG]

They don't half make it difficult to carry out on a modern car do they? Front grille off, jack one side up and turn wheel each way to get to the screws holding the mud guards in place, pull away part of the bumper to get to a screw on the side of the light cluster then unbolt varies ones holding it in place then finally you can slide the whole unit out. Open the back up and swap the bulb out. Put back together then the same on the other side. Complete ball ache but its done now at least. I thought xenons were meant to last more than 5 years?

3. grudas

Capodecina

@Duke tell me about it! Had to rip half my engine bay apart to get the xenon bulb on my Lexus. Replacing indicators requires taking the front bumper off. It's a joke.

4. Dis86

Capodecina

Wow, that's bad design. I still remember when Ford made it nigh on impossible to change a bulb in a Mondeo. Needed to remove the coolant reservoir and everything!

5. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Tried to fit the new MAF setup and let out some magic smoke.

Sulked for a while then ordered a new (used) one

[​IMG]

6. adwol48

Hitman

Its not a hard job to do but parts that need servicing regulary should be simple like a regular air filter. At least it wasnt like the mk1 focus though which would if done badly could lead to water entering the car via the glove box area

7. Jasoncmor

Gangster

I agree things should be made easier for serviceable parts.

I serviced my mums Nissan Micra today, and what a pita to get the spark plugs out, you need to remove a big bulky plastic cover from the top of the engine which is the air intake, this also houses the throttle body and crank ventilation valve, so you gotta remove a number of hoses and connectors, all the bolts, the intake then splits into 2 and then more bolts and then the ignition coils need removing before eventually getting to the spark plugs, such a faff because car manufacturers don't like to make things easy for us DIY home mechanics.

8. Janesy B

Capodecina

Major service yesterday, wish it was free every time.

[​IMG]

9. Diagro

Sgarrista

Personally I would now check the oil, filter and air filters. Wouldn't surprise me if they missed half

10. Conscript

Sgarrista

I do enjoy a random goodiwll gesture.

11. Acme

Caporegime

If I recall correctly indicator bulbs on the Celica required taking the bumper off to get to a bolt, front wings off to get to a bolt, and then you take the whole unit out... Because otherwise the ABS module was in the way. Might have been able to take the arch liner out and jack up each side instead of taking the whole lot off, I'm not sure...

Bumper had to come off the Corolla as well...

12. Gaygle

Capodecina

What car have you got these days?

13. Cookeh

Sgarrista

Eh? What bulb required the bumper off o The corolla? I did indicators, dipped and mains and have no recollection of having to remove the bumper for any of those.

14. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Just dropped it off for a service including replacing the front bushes/arms.

15. B1scu1T

Gangster

Broke the little clip that holds the floor mat in place on the driver side foot well when leaning out the window to enter a code for a car park :mad:
    I hate being a short ass sometimes.

Not exactly sure how it was being held on in the first place, doesnt look like anything snapped. Bit of Epoxy should hold it in place indefinitely

16. -westy-

Capodecina

Are the front arms a common issue on the C30? My other half is picking one up at the weekend and the last MOT had an advisory for these.

17. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I dunno but mine is 8 years old and it was an advisory item in last year's MOT so I thought I would change it this year as a precautionary step than fix it when it breaks. I don't see it as a big deal, the car has been flawless for the 3 years that i've had it, the things that I've spent money on are more pre-cautionary like Timing Belt and now the bushes arms. There was a weird sensor problem on the screen wash for a few weeks but i think it was just an air pocket in the washer tank messing with the sensor, it hasn't happened since.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  18. Acme

Caporegime

Maybe you have tiny hands :p

All I remember for certain is that it was one of the bulbs on one side, I couldn't get it out without taking the light out, and to get the light out you take the bumper off.

19. Cookeh

Sgarrista

Drivers side was a bit tight and a smidge of a ballache with the washer fluid filler and ABS pump but definitely doable without removing the headlight.

20. Acme

Caporegime

Maybe I just have fat hands. :p