What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
£900 that could be better spent somewhere else. It’s Acme, it’s bound to be the worst car ever purchased.

But it's not like he's not going to get that money back, he's buying a £900 product which isn't gonna depreciate any more unless it gets set on fire. I know people still pay silly money for old E39 V8s so if he plays his cars right he could probably sell it on for a profit once he's done with it.

Soldato
But it's not like he's not going to get that money back, he's buying a £900 product which isn't gonna depreciate any more unless it gets set on fire. I know people still pay silly money for old E39 V8s so if he plays his cars right he could probably sell it on for a profit once he's done with it.

Yes most people would.

But this is Acme.

Soldato
:p

I know It's acme but I'm not sure even he could mess this one up

I mean, the cheapest V8 E39 on Autotrader is currently up for £2500, with most falling in the £3500-4000 bracket.

@Acme you got any more details? Owners, mileage, model, gearbox?

Caporegime
1997 535i 232 SE Auto, grey with black leather & wood interior, 180K miles, MOT to January 2020, not sure how many owners. Needs a few bits and pieces from the Mot advisories but nothing much, two rear arm pins and two rear brake hoses, which I can easily do myself on the drive. Also has had a minor oil leak for a few years. Bone stock. Sprung suspension not air.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're concerned about the running costs of a car that does 8MPG worse, this is NOT a good idea, especially if it's your daily driver. Sounds like a proper shed tbh. Not that I can talk, but my shed is a fairly simple MG ZT diesel, not a BMW V8!

Soldato
1997 535i 232 SE Auto, grey with black leather & wood interior, 180K miles, MOT to January 2020, not sure how many owners. Needs a few bits and pieces from the Mot advisories but nothing much, two rear arm pins and two rear brake hoses, which I can easily do myself on the drive. Also has had a minor oil leak for a few years. Bone stock. Sprung suspension not air.

Do it, do it, do it!

Caporegime
If you're concerned about the running costs of a car that does 8MPG worse, this is NOT a good idea, especially if it's your daily driver. Sounds like a proper shed tbh. Not that I can talk, but my shed is a fairly simple MG ZT diesel, not a BMW V8!

It would work out as about £1 a day, so I'm less concerned about fuel usage now. Like I said though, if it breaks, its worth a lot in bits. :p

Man of Honour

Not the 535i they don't, it was the most pointless engine in the E39 offering all the downsides of a 540i with none of the benefits nor performance. The 528i and 530i were both better balanced, more reliable and pretty much as quick.

Please don't spoil an E39 Acme.

Back
Top Bottom