What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Stopped it sounding like it's broken on a cold start and made it a little louder at lower revs.

sEJHNq3l.jpg

Previously: (arghhhhhhhhh for the first 30 seconds). Left pipe basically stayed shut and it sounded like something was broken :p

Drastic improvement in sound quality between iPhone SE and XR (no surprise....)

Now:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Washed it, then checked the rear tyre pressures as they seemed a bit down. Meant to be 36psi, one was 17.5 :eek: - could be a slow puncture, but can't see anything in the tyre. No wonder my tyre pressure warnings came on recently.

Soldato
It would work out as about £1 a day, so I'm less concerned about fuel usage now. Like I said though, if it breaks, its worth a lot in bits. :p

I was thinking more reliability. If you're going to be traveling further and the car is out of action, what will you do and could you afford to repair it?

Permabanned
My god it's acme with an itch... You have no place in a E39, owned A m54 for years best car i have ever owned ignoring the E60 M5 ). They are lovely cars leave it alone.. :)

Man of Honour
Started to sound deaden the MX5 as the 750miles a week I'm doing in the Jetta has highlighted how annoyingly rattly it is

1Mds0vd.jpg

Also did tested some launch control related stuff ready for the next Santa Pod trip. 1.95s 60ft on regular tarmac is a good improvement over the 2.0-2.1s I usually see on the drag strip. Pleasantly surprised to see a 4 second flat 0-60 too

Man of Honour
Jesus, that is rapid! I imagine you're getting through the box fairly rapidly, can they that sort of abuse?

This box has been in since October 17 I think, doesn't feel or shift any different to when it was fitted. Tends to be the torque that kills them

I hit 60 at the top of second so lifted, that's using flat shift. From depressing the clutch to it being back out is 350milliseconds.

4 seconds is actually 62mph, 60mph is 3.8s

QrvA7ew.jpg

Caporegime
I don't think I've ever ruined a car? :confused:

Anyway I've decided against it, I'll stick with the original plan of keeping the MX5 and fitting a VVT lump.

An old auto V8 barge will have to wait for another day.

Don
I don't think I've ever ruined a car? :confused:

Anyway I've decided against it, I'll stick with the original plan of keeping the MX5 and fitting a VVT lump.

An old auto V8 barge will have to wait for another day.

Good.
The 535i was a totally pointless car when new. It's even more pointless at shed money.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Found a dent in the rear wing. 4 months after a respray down the whole left-hand side of the car :(

Is there easy access to the rear quarter panel from the wheel arch or inside? I know this is a 10-year-old 110,000-mile car, but such a pain. It HAD to be the repainted side :(

jLgTgGT.jpg

H7MN9Mv.jpg

cl27uYD.jpg

Back
Top Bottom