What have you done to your car today?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Not me, but my children blew bubbles on the bonnet of the Golf, which means it has stained nicely. Just want I wanted on a black car up for sale :rolleyes:
No time to clean, so hopefully that bubble solution won't damage the paintwork too much...

Soldato
Had I known about these, clearly been around for years, I could have done my own oil changes. Oh the shame !!
I have the electric pump version.
Takes 5mins to suck the majority of the oil out.

I do an oil change every 3k miles, it gets approx 5L out vs the full 5.7L capacity.

I change the filter every third oil change.

It really makes the job a doddle. Put pipe in, leave it alone with other end in an empty 5L oil bottle. Have a coke, come back and pour new oil in.

Man of Honour
Took my door cards off the wedge today to remove the metal trim for a refurb. What little material there had been to insulate the various apertures is now either well knackered or missing entirely.

I appreciate that any notion of actually 'insulating' this is an exercise in futility, but wondered if anyone could recommend some sort of waterproofing/deadening material here that I could stick on to reduce moisture and rattling a bit.

And yes, I was working in the car with the cover on while it rained :p
I've used some from www.dodomat.com before - they have quite a range of products so might find something there that suits.

Caporegime
Fixed the damn Celsior!!

It wasn't the replacement alternator which was the problem, there was a break in the switched 12v wire which goes to the middle of the three pins on the alternator loom connector, somewhere between the charge loom plug at the side of the engine bay, and the 12v feed from under the steering column...

Got a relay, took a new 12v directly from the positive battery strap, a new earth from the inner wing, a new switched 12v from an unused relay holder, and fed that into the charge loom... Voila, the ******* charges!!

I'm so happy, ****...

Soldato
Had my car a year now and I've done relatively low mileage in it for me, only 17k but its MOT was due at the end of the month. It passed with 0 advisories which is pretty good as I thought one of my headlights might be an issue. A while ago one of the bulbs had fallen out inside the headlight unit because the bulb hadn't been pushed in properly and also because the clips BMW use on the F30 halogen lights are diabolical. It took me a while to notice as it was during the summer months and so ended up melting a part of the plastic inside - all the fumes or whatever have caused the inside of the headlight unit to be noticeably cloudy compared to the other side.

Good thing I noticed when I did or that could have been a lot worse, but it's also good that it's passed an MOT with no problem. I still need to get a new headlight sometime though, when I can be bothered to take the bumper off to replace it. Must make sure my next car has xenons as it's something my previous car had and even my wife's car has and I definitely miss it when driving mine now.

Associate
Not really today but have put some adverts up for the M135i in free places as i'm thoroughly bored of it, not really in much rush to sell it and apparently it's not the best time to try, but if it ain't up then there's no chance!

Soldato
With winter coming and the torrential rain forecast down here, I slapped the hardtop on my E46 M3 Convertible yesterday!

Amazing to say that despite it being 15 years old the hardtop electrics (cabin lights and heated rear window) just work without hassle..

It's not vital to use a hardtop, it's just peace of mind and it does save the roof having extra stress from really cold/wet weather.. the fabric roof hasn't needed re-colouring and is in reasonably good condition, so I don't see why I should stop using the hardtop..

And the bonus is it does noticeably improve scuttle shake which is not terrible but it's noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom