What have you done to your car today?

Caporegime
I remember reading on a forum ages ago that someone needed an MOT but they had a cracked windscreen, so they removed the windscreen and the wipers and it passed, albeit with some raised eyebrows. :p

Made me wonder what other wacky things you can get away with. I know very well from having an MX5 that if you cover something up they aren't allowed to remove the covering to check it so just have to advise something was covered. The E30 passed with rotted out sills in 2017 because the sill covers meant inspection wasn't possible.

If you have an ABS light or something you can remove it and wire in a lamp which comes on and goes out after a couple of seconds with ignition, as long as it is labelled that it is for the ABS...

Front foglights don't work? Cover them up, and the switch... High level brake light doesn't work? Take it out. Rusty brake line? Cover it up...

Of course, don't actually do these things. Fix your ****. But it just goes to show the whole system is flawed if you know how to get around it. Rotten cars full of filler is another good example.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Put winter wheels on the other day, and the first thing I noticed was how dirty they became. Not with grime and dust, but with crap from the road.
Is this because I'm sliding a RWD car around that has 5x19s on the rear, or has it got something to do with the aero on the i3? I've never noticed anything like this before.

edit- WOW that's a lot of wheel weights. Counterbalancing the TPMS perhaps? :eek:

f85olvb.jpg

Soldato
Volvo has been going into some kind of limp mode recently without much indication of why. All I could get from VIDA was a couple of codes relating to EGR and the EGR temperature sensor. Have ordered a new sensor and decided to take the EGR valve off today for a clean as it can’t hurt. Some advanced swearing techniques were used and I still need to work out how to put it all back together tomorrow yet.

Soldato
When the wife got back from shopping this afternoon she came into the computer room and I knew something had happened- She said I heard this tick tick ticking so stopped and had a good look but nothing obvious --She said not long after the warning light came on about check tyre pressure. -- I had a look and big piece of galvanised metal is sticking out of rear tyre. It was only 5 miles home and it was half deflated.
So my job today was change the wheels for the winter wheels - not a job I wanted close to dusk.

Associate
OSR strut top mount failed during the week so took the opportunity to replace the both shocks, top and bottom mounts, and bump stops on me E87 130i. The old ones were well past their best! Nice easy job, and only set me back around £150 for all the parts :)

Man of Honour
Civic was making a horrendous clonking from the front end, having already changed the drop links I thought it might be an ARB bush.

It actually turned out to be the top mount nut. It was only a tiny bit loose (maybe 1/16th of a turn) but that was enough to allow the top mount to move excessively. Pinched up and normal service has been resumed.

Soldato
It's weird when you buy a car with intentions to do stuff with it (Exhaust, intake mods etc), and then you grow up and common sense takes hold and you're trying to achieve the best mpg possible.

140mile roundtrip, Had to go to swansea Saturday to pick up some drunkards up (including my father), Whilst being told my 09 2.4 petrol Accord (1.5+tons) is terrible on fuel, I can't help but disagree when I average 45mpg from it.

Caporegime
New plugs in the V70R and cleaned up the leads.
Downpipe removed to get easier access to the rear of the rack.
1/4in pipe and bending/flaring tools purchased for making the new transfer lines.
New mats fitted
New plates fitted
Replacement bumper trim fitted

Soldato
Average 45, really? Doesn't seem plausible at all tbh.

All Motorway driving at 1am so no traffic, sat at 60mph all the way, most of the way was either flat or slight decline so that obviously helped.

If I drive it normally it'll be low 30s, or low 20s if i'm vtecing all the time.

The only way I get those types of figures is if i'm really really careful on the accelerator, it's quite hard work, not like a normal lightweight hatchback where you get 40+mpg all the time no matter how hamfisted you are with the controls.

Back
Top Bottom