What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Yea renewed at the end of last Jan. If I paid in Jan then it should last until the end of Jan right, since you pay for the current month also? O_o

Maybe I'll use the SORN trick to let it tick over and then re-tax it. Like when changing owner.

You don't need to SORN a car to get a full 12 months tax on renewal. Either you've mis-remembered when you taxed it last year or something has gone wrong, it's not normally the case that you 'lose' a month.

Caporegime
let me guess, a Mustang? i can just about tell from the carbon rear spoiler
And this is what happens when you have a slightly broader chap in the passenger seat than usual :o

rps20191205_174111_782.jpg

Guess I'll be taking it to my guy in Southampton to work his magic like he did on the driver's bolster way back when I got the car.

Poke it in with a screwdriver and stick a bit of superglue in there.

... Oh wait you're not me and its not a £500 MX5 :p

Soldato
Still getting boost issues on the 1.8t bam engine.

When I turn the car on from cold, let it idle for a few minutes, goes into a limp mode, no warning lights, limited to 5psi boost.

Back off and on again, back to normal.

Happened a week after remap, going back in over the weekend. I've tried torque app, no codes. Was overboosting issues too, but n75 valve replacement sorted that out, but doesn't feel as punchy as it use to be.

It's had recent new plugs put in, ran on tesco super, and always warmed up/cooled down. Can't see any leaks???

Out of ideas, hopefully get it on vagcom, if I can find someone that is.

Who remapped it? Seems like there is your problem.

Associate
Still getting boost issues on the 1.8t bam engine.

When I turn the car on from cold, let it idle for a few minutes, goes into a limp mode, no warning lights, limited to 5psi boost.

Back off and on again, back to normal.

Happened a week after remap, going back in over the weekend. I've tried torque app, no codes. Was overboosting issues too, but n75 valve replacement sorted that out, but doesn't feel as punchy as it use to be.

It's had recent new plugs put in, ran on tesco super, and always warmed up/cooled down. Can't see any leaks???

Out of ideas, hopefully get it on vagcom, if I can find someone that is.

Have you put in new coilpacks?, running a stage 2 map here and the car ran really bad until coils had been changed. the original coilpacks ran fine on the standard map but the remap exposed them.

are you still running the n249 valve? some of the hoses around that can breakdown easy and cause a boost leak.

Soldato
Bit of a quality of life upgrade for me today. I installed a new set of door speakers and tweeters to compliment the head unit I picked up a couple of months back. I also added some sound deadening to the inside of the doors - the GT86 has pretty much none, so a few tiles of Dodo hex mat sound deadening material should help when placed behind the speakers to stop tinnyness and vibrations.

Results are great - I'm not an audiophile, but there's a much richer sound now - stronger bass with less distortion, more clarity on the treble and more volume over all. Not much reduction in road noise from the sound deadening, but I only applied it sparingly - but the speakers do sound much better.

I also managed to removed and modify the door check straps - they weren't very tight, and on any incline, the door falls shut far too easily. As I park on quit a steep drive, this meant getting out of the car was difficult as you had to keep one hand on the door all the time to stop it closing on your leg. I found a post on a US forum where someone had managed to take out the mechanism and modify it to add more tension - so while I had the door card and speakers out, I did that too, and I can now open the door and climb out of the car without looking like I'm playing Twister :D

Soldato
Details on the door mod? Both my Toyota and Nissan have that annoying issue. German cars don't suffer with limp doors that's for sure.

Check out post #11 onwards in this thread, full explanation and gallery available:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82403&page=1

Basically the mechanism is just a pair of plastic and rubber bushes which "pinch" the check strap and should hold it on the detents. If you can get it out of the door and take it apart, you can insert a couple of shims to add more pressure so the strap is held tighter. I fashioned some out of an old plastic bottle. Bit fiddly to get it all back together, and the drivers door could probably do with a little more tension, but it definitely worked.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Bit bored by the plain home screen layout on the stereo when just driving without an unknown destination so thought I'd make use of a recent Play Store free apps deal where certain apps were free for a limited time. Speedview was one such app, seems pretty cool, may delete later.

rps20191207_140627_715.jpg

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Just got back from washing my Golf on my parents driveway. Hopefully the neighbours didn’t mind the floodlights :o

Someone coming to look at it tomorrow first thing. She asked if it had “dynamic rear lights”. Considering that’s only available on the mk7.5, I said it had full LED rears and adaptive fronts...
She said she had her eye on another one but that one had a sunroof, so maybe my massaging seats will sway her.

Never sold to a women before. Do you think she knows what she’s coming to see? Its horrendously overpriced, but it’s the only 1.4 150ps auto with adaptive cruise currently for sale in the country, so not sure what else she’s been looking at :confused:

Soldato
Took the 911 out for an Italian tune up this afternoon. Lovely weather for roof down driving and no salt on the road as it was 10 degrees. Even had a lady in the Waitrose car park compliment me on the car! I know it’s a modern machine, but considering it’s not been started for 2 months or properly driven since September, it performed beautifully! New Years resolution is definitely to drive it more.

Soldato
Finally got round to cleaning my drive belt (E90 BMW). Had a minor oil leak previous that got onto it. Just took it off and cleaned with rags and gave the pulleys a buff. All nice and quiet again.

Soldato
Just got back from washing my Golf on my parents driveway. Hopefully the neighbours didn’t mind the floodlights :o

Someone coming to look at it tomorrow first thing. She asked if it had “dynamic rear lights”. Considering that’s only available on the mk7.5, I said it had full LED rears and adaptive fronts...
She said she had her eye on another one but that one had a sunroof, so maybe my massaging seats will sway her.

Never sold to a women before. Do you think she knows what she’s coming to see? Its horrendously overpriced, but it’s the only 1.4 150ps auto with adaptive cruise currently for sale in the country, so not sure what else she’s been looking at :confused:
I suspect it depends almost entirely on whether she likes the colour or not :p

Soldato
Took it back to the remapping place, he has vagcom.

Looks like the DV valve is at fault, people say I should stick to OEM which is my plan. should have been obvious to me as it flutters a lot more than it use to.

Caporegime
Looks like the DV valve is at fault, people say I should stick to OEM which is my plan.

Changing from an OEM diverter valve to a genuine Forge 007p (yellow spring) did wonders for my remapped LCR. The OEM spring rate wasn’t enough to hold pressure properly after the map.

Whatever you do, only get a recirc, as even the mildest of hybrid blow-off/diverter valves really don’t mix well with the 1.8T.

Back
Top Bottom