What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Wasn't me doing anything, but approaching 2 years now, so got car detailed again. New car protection was showing it's age a bit.

WHEN4ad.jpg
r9iqceL.jpg
izLEvLw.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Been tweaking the boost a bit getting it stable prior to installing a few performance mods.

This is stock (or there about) levels of boost but using an profec spec 2 rather than the oem boost controller which fail miserably at the best of times.
ifeIA6p.jpg
Taken with a pinch of salt of course!

Man of Honour
Been tweaking the boost a bit getting it stable prior to installing a few performance mods.

This is stock (or there about) levels of boost but using an profec spec 2 rather than the oem boost controller which fail miserably at the best of times.
Taken with a pinch of salt of course!

With the right vehicle data and a decently flat road Virtual Dyno is surprisingly accurate, comparing real dyno pulls on the MX5 vs VirtualDyno

Soldato
With the right vehicle data and a decently flat road Virtual Dyno is surprisingly accurate, comparing real dyno pulls on the MX5 vs VirtualDyno

So im led to believe :) But my butt says otherwise :D the road was perfect and i did a few 3rd gear runs and they all came out similar or there abouts to this figure, the data is correct for the car as well, added a more realistic weight for my lardy ass and the whp figure went up!.... :o
I'd love a ~80bhp gain over the last dyno but i cant see the mods its had giving those gains :confused:

Edit - i suspect the final drive ratio is not correct even though its listed in the software.

Last edited:
Soldato
Replaced the battery in the wife's Audi S4. Went reasonably well, it's a very tight fit though, and a hell of a heavy thing to insert into a very tight gap right at the back of the engine bay.

We've been struggling for a while with occasional flat batteries, and I believe the old battery was underspecified for the car. On top of that, I think that having flattened several times, it was not holding as much charge when full as previously.

All this compounded by the car doing very low mileage (1500 last year) and mostly quite short journeys.

If the problem persits with a new battery, then I think we've got a drain somewhere. (Although that has theoretically been ruled out by a garage quite some time ago when we first started having the issues.)

Associate
Put the track day disks and pads on for Donington on Saturday. Decided to try out DS1.11 as heard good things about them.

NBFTuDTl.jpg

MLR2oXol.jpg

Also replaced the 2 bumper to wing fixings as they were absolutely knackered, been on the car since 1999 I suspect.

RELREHpl.jpg

Associate
Replaced the battery in the wife's Audi S4. Went reasonably well, it's a very tight fit though, and a hell of a heavy thing to insert into a very tight gap right at the back of the engine bay.

We've been struggling for a while with occasional flat batteries, and I believe the old battery was underspecified for the car. On top of that, I think that having flattened several times, it was not holding as much charge when full as previously.

All this compounded by the car doing very low mileage (1500 last year) and mostly quite short journeys.

If the problem persits with a new battery, then I think we've got a drain somewhere. (Although that has theoretically been ruled out by a garage quite some time ago when we first started having the issues.)

You should probably have the battery connected to a CTEK or similar, with the car being used very little. Flattening it several times will kill it over time, but a proper battery conditioner would sort it out.

Man of Honour
Pretty sure i broke the alternator, i was running the datalogger at the time as well.

The mrs is sure it calling out mummy in graph form before dying? :D

It didn't look happy before it flatlined.

Not sure what you are using to view logs at the moment, but this will become your new best friend if you're willing to spend the £30 or so for a license

https://www.efianalytics.com/MegaLogViewerHD/

Soldato
You should probably have the battery connected to a CTEK or similar, with the car being used very little. Flattening it several times will kill it over time, but a proper battery conditioner would sort it out.

Yeah, not a bad idea. Although there's not really anywhere convenient to connect it up. It's one to think about.

Associate
Yeah, not a bad idea. Although there's not really anywhere convenient to connect it up. It's one to think about.

If power is an issue, I have a solar panel hooked up to my garaged S2000 that sits idle most of the time in winter. It's fairly dumb - it just trickle charges the battery without any fancy deep discharging and all that jazz. But it can be left connected when there is no sun, and the battery won't be drained by the panel. It's made my Ring Automotive.

Soldato
The difficulty is that it's on the drive outside, and running a cable to it would be difficult, plus removing and replacing apparatus would be a pain. It get's driven fairly often, just for short distances mainly.

Can a solar charger plug in to the cigarette socket? And do you think it'd achieve anything placed on the dash? That way, it wouldn't impact the ability to get in the car and drive away.

Soldato
With the battery I've just replaced, it was losing charge in about 2 weeks. But it has to be said, the battery charger I use was then reporting it as fully charged after about 20 minutes from the point of being unable to start the car. This is the reason for my theory that the capacity of that battery had been impacted badly.

Soldato
It didn't look happy before it flatlined.

Not sure what you are using to view logs at the moment, but this will become your new best friend if you're willing to spend the £30 or so for a license

https://www.efianalytics.com/MegaLogViewerHD/

Agreed, its never been particularly strong! It looks newer than the engine so probably a dodgy refurb put in years ago.

Thanks i'll check that out, i currently use Evoscan which is pretty good by all accounts but getting long in the tooth!

Caporegime
The difficulty is that it's on the drive outside, and running a cable to it would be difficult, plus removing and replacing apparatus would be a pain. It get's driven fairly often, just for short distances mainly.

Can a solar charger plug in to the cigarette socket? And do you think it'd achieve anything placed on the dash? That way, it wouldn't impact the ability to get in the car and drive away.

I have one of these. Problem is it will only work from a 12V if you have a live from the 12V. Most are switched by ignition only. If you follow Harry's Garage on YouTube he did this with his Mercedes SL600 that he left in France for months and it started up no problem.

Back
Top Bottom