1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. bazzabear

Wise Guy

Well, 2 months later and having not charged the battery at any point (mostly because I forgot) and journeys being even less than usual (for obvious reasons) the car is still starting perfectly.

I suspected that we had a duff battery along with another underlying issue - but the evidence seems now to point to it purely being a duff battery. For comparison - with the previous battery, this sort of usage for 2 weeks without a charge would have resulted in the car not starting.

2. Jamauk

Wise Guy

Seems to be a thing with all manufacturers now, VW with the R-Line Golf.

3. Acme

Caporegime

Yep... R-Line, S-Line, AMG-Line, VXR-Line, ST-Line...

They all seem to follow the same theme, apart from M-Sport.

GR-Sport seems to be Toyotas incoming one as well... Cars with certain GRMN inspired bits and bobs.

4. Jester*

Wise Guy

Since fitting the Recaro's to the MPS I have had a bit of an issue with changing gear. Where the seats are a good bit lower than stock (for that awesome driving position) my forearm and elbow seem to rub or rest on the armrest while changing gear. This gets really annoying when you are enjoying a spirited drive.

In hunting around I found a gear stick extension from Tegiwa that might fit the bill.

Stock:

[​IMG]

Avec Extension:

[​IMG]

Yes not the most aesthetically pleasing of extensions and if it stays I am sure a cheeky powder coat would make it fit in with the interior a tad better.

Being a key worker I am still driving to work so a little test over the coming weeks to see if it makes a difference and doesn't make changing gear horrendous. Or if I need to look at replacing some of the bushes under the gear stick and fit a short shift plate to make it a bit better.

5. Axeboy

Mobster

Installed an Android head unit on the Lexus, wasn't the easiest in the long run but almost got there. Had to find a phase 2 vent to get better fitment, its still not ideal, id rather it had less space between. However, it works, it has all the Apps I want, works with the existing reverse camera etc

I "might" have another go at refitting it all to see if I can get it better but Ive had enough of it for now :) Maybe a few more months of lockdown will get me in the mood again

[​IMG]

6. paradigm

Caporegime

Started removing the old original exhaust from my TT, which is a rusty mess of a job that so far is defeating me. No rush as the replacement hasn't actually arrived yet though.

I do have a question for anyone who puts their car on small ramps to work on it. Do your ramps try to run away whilst you drive/reverse onto them? I had to get ingenious with spare wheels to chock the ramps before I could actually get the car on.

7. Conscript

Sgarrista

I'm planning to do some exhaust work on my car soon and have an old style set of metal ramps that I want to use (if they aren't too steep for my car). One tip I've heard is to get some long strips of something like carpet offcuts, and loop them around the bottom "rung" of the ramps. The wheels themselves on this will then hold the ramp in place.

Similar principle here;

8. Diagro

Sgarrista

Tbh I need some extensions for my ramps.
    Front bumper is too low to drive up them.

9. Cleisthenes

Sgarrista

Snapped the head off a bolt the moment I touched it practically.

Fortunately it's still solid so I can take it down the road to a garage to drill it out. Pain in the backside :rolleyes:

10. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

You understand you are increasing the throw by doing that. Ideally you want to couple that extension with a short shifter kit to bring back to stockish levels.

11. Jester*

Wise Guy

I do indeed. The throw stock wasn't that long so i'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Trying to weigh up the pros vs cons. A short shift isn't very good if you cannot change gears comfortably :)

A short shift plate and bushes isn't that expensive and it is probably a route I was going to go down in the future.

12. shaank

Wise Guy

damn it :D :D :D :D :p

13. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

I have done the same with my Celica it has an extension but bought a second cradle which I had machined to change the pivot point.

14. rodenal

Capodecina

Stuck the focus up on stands the other day and in the process of doing so noticed I've got rust starting on both rear arches!! Infuriating to say the least on a mid 2012 car (on looking it up it seems to be relatively common on the mk3 ST) and particularly annoying because I know if they're just rubbed back treated and resprayed it'll be back in a couple of years, but it's nowhere close to being bad enough to warrant cutting out metal at this point.

Also thinking about getting my steering wheel refurbished while the car isn't being used anyway, have a quote from royal steering wheels but I cant decide whether a centre line would make the thing look tacky or not

15. Jester*

Wise Guy

Tasty!

Corksport do offer a complete new shifter that can be set to be 0.6 inches higher than OEM that couples with up to 35% shorter shift than standard. Which if I am honest would be ideal. But that is about £200 + more involved fitting. The extension was £20 :D.

But the short shift bushes and plate are £110 so in the long run when you consider man maths and CoronaVirus isolation quarantine maths. I may as well just buy the shifter and go full baller.

16. kurosagi01

Hitman

Looking at the instructions for Corksport short shifter, it doesn't look that bad tbf.
    I've got the Damond short shift plate and cobb shifter weight now on mine and it does feel a lot better, recently bought myself the cobb gear knob that you have aswell but haven't given it a go yet as the car is currently dead with no boost solenoid and we can't exactly do "unnecessary" drive.
    Hopefully Royal mail delivers my boost solenoid today or even this week lol.

17. Jester*

Wise Guy

Must admit I do like the look of the shifter without having to mess around with the gear linkage cables as people are always worrying about shortening the lift of them. However much of that is true I am not really sure.

Fingers crossed it gets delivered. Think Tegiwa dispatched and got to me within about 4 days, which is pretty good all things considered.

18. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

That's what happens when you buy off the shelf parts. Had my cradles pivot point chopped off and a bit of metal welded in between to extend the pivot below the ball and had some bushes made up so the now extended pivot clears the floor pan. £20-30 in parts.

19. Jester*

Wise Guy

But off the shelf parts are so shiny!

But I do like a good bit of fabrication.

20. Armageus

Don

Not sure how I missed this, but omg :)