What have you done to your car today?

I've driven quite a few newer cars recently with Android Auto and thought I'd see what's about for my car.

Given it's a Volvo and almost everything is proprietary and the screen is used for the climate controls too there's not many options out there, apart from one unit that's ~£800 and pretty poor.

I got a cheap wireless android auto display off Aliexpress thinking it would be a piece of crap but as it was only £40, took a punt. It's actually very good.

i7eC7gNl.jpg

It has dual bluetooth so connects to the phone and the car, connects to the phone in about 5 seconds and away we go. I designed and 3D printed a bracket to keep it looking seamless and more 'factory fit' :)

I would love to see the back of that and may be get the bracket too if at all possible?

Yours is much neate than mine.

btw, did you get the 9" or 10" version? I went for the 9"

Yc9CFi2.jpg

Last edited:
I've driven quite a few newer cars recently with Android Auto and thought I'd see what's about for my car.

Given it's a Volvo and almost everything is proprietary and the screen is used for the climate controls too there's not many options out there, apart from one unit that's ~£800 and pretty poor.

I got a cheap wireless android auto display off Aliexpress thinking it would be a piece of crap but as it was only £40, took a punt. It's actually very good.

i7eC7gNl.jpg

It has dual bluetooth so connects to the phone and the car, connects to the phone in about 5 seconds and away we go. I designed and 3D printed a bracket to keep it looking seamless and more 'factory fit' :)

When you say about dual bluetooth and connecting to phone and car, can you play music from phone to car and control it via the screen? On the page it shows an aux cable for connecting to the car but I don't have an aux in (old V70) but do have a bluetooth adapter in the CD changer port which is what I use for music and phone at the moment.

When you say about dual bluetooth and connecting to phone and car, can you play music from phone to car and control it via the screen? On the page it shows an aux cable for connecting to the car but I don't have an aux in (old V70) but do have a bluetooth adapter in the CD changer port which is what I use for music and phone at the moment.

It can also broadcast via FM, so you can Bluetooth it in and then receive from the car with FM.

You will still need to figure out power though.

Yep, I have a USB powered bluetooth to aux adapter (hence why my radio says aux) that connects to the phone. I think technically the screen is connected to the phone and the phone outputs to the bluetooth adapter (the car) but yes, to answer your question you can control the music etc from the screen :)

I replaced the upper/third brake light on my V60, bought the replacement off eBay used from breaker.

What was odd is that it's LED and I would have expected some of the LEDs to die first, but the whole unit just stopped... Going to take it apart and figure it out.

Slight issue in the replacement though, I broke the rear washer hose when detaching the spoiler, I expected a lot more play in it from watching a video of someone else doing it. I was annoyed with myself, but not as annoyed as my wife will be when she realises I stole a hose coupler from her automatic watering device in the greenhouse to bodge it back together... :D

Clio exhaust was a massive mishmash of parts (guess it had a aftermarket one in the past) and had blows in 4 joins as well as being rusted through on the join to one of the boxes.

366388802_10159482263106966_1104569659524523006_n.jpg

Replaced it with a resonated scorpion exhaust :) Do love putting fresh new car parts on :D

365716680_10159482260806966_5827547693936433072_n.jpg

365770481_10159482260796966_7740662196940678866_n.jpg

Whilst it undeniably sounds great on a little run out its quite loud in the cabin & deep/boomy, annoyingly I bought the resonated version in the hope it would avoid that. The car does have a secondary decat so may well look to get a cat to slide in to replace that instead and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Whilst it undeniably sounds great on a little run out its quite loud in the cabin & deep/boomy, annoyingly I bought the resonated version in the hope it would avoid that. The car does have a secondary decat so may well look to get a cat to slide in to replace that instead and see if that helps.
I was considering a Scorpion resonated for when my exhaust inevitably rusts (must be a French thing as my last two have rusted as well) but was trying to avoid too much drone. It's a pain trying to decide when you can't hear all the variants and manufacturers in person.

Clio exhaust was a massive mishmash of parts (guess it had a aftermarket one in the past) and had blows in 4 joins as well as being rusted through on the join to one of the boxes.

366388802_10159482263106966_1104569659524523006_n.jpg

Replaced it with a resonated scorpion exhaust :) Do love putting fresh new car parts on :D

365716680_10159482260806966_5827547693936433072_n.jpg

365770481_10159482260796966_7740662196940678866_n.jpg

I'd recommend a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator to get rid of the drone. The system on my Volvo T5 sounded fantastic but was ear piercing on the motorway. Fitted the Vibrant and 80% of the drone went, whilst keeping the 5 pot growl when pressing on :)

Had our 67 plate C3 (1.2 Puretech Flair) in for MOT at main dealer today. Failed due to exhaust, their comment "Exhaust pipe detached at front flexi, requires new middle and back with clamp/sleeve".

£540 for that.

Does anyone know if we can still drive it since the old MOT hasn't expired? Or does this new MOT failure override that?

You can still drive it.
Take it to an independent who can sleeve in a new flex for much much cheaper than that.
We do it all the time to save the customer a small fortune.
Did they fail it “for major leak of exhaust gasses” or “system insecure”?

Had our 67 plate C3 (1.2 Puretech Flair) in for MOT at main dealer today. Failed due to exhaust, their comment "Exhaust pipe detached at front flexi, requires new middle and back with clamp/sleeve".

£540 for that.

Does anyone know if we can still drive it since the old MOT hasn't expired? Or does this new MOT failure override that?

I believe if its stated as a fail on major item then you're all good until existing MOT runs out. If its under dangerous then shouldn't be driven. Fairly sure thats correct but don't take my word as gospel :)

Last edited:
You can still drive it.
Take it to an independent who can sleeve in a new flex for much much cheaper than that.
We do it all the time to save the customer a small fortune.
Did they fail it “for major leak of exhaust gasses” or “system insecure”?
Thank you so much for this! Much appreciated, will report back once it's sorted

Back
Top Bottom