What have you done to your car today?

Wasn't today, but last week I had these fitted, Racingline R600 intake, intake pipe, turbo elbow and the coolant reroute hose along with the Clubsport S rear silencer.
The car sounds great now, lots more intake noise and the exhaust is how it should have sounded originally. Didn't want anything too asbo and this is perfect, for normal driving its not much different, but put your foot down and it comes alive.

zeuG2BJ.jpg

j7WWxVN.jpg

Do such upgrades need to be declared to your car insurance provider? I'm always tempted to do small upgrades like the above

I suppose the issue then becomes what amount the insurer would add to the annual premium. If you've spent £200 in upgrades, only for your premium to go up by £100 per year (or more) - not the best feeling! But I imagine most just get on with it for the sake of their passion to tinker (which I totally advocate).

I wonder if the US and Japan have the same system, where modifications would increase your premium anywhere from 10 to 50%, makes me wonder how much it would add to the annual premium to upgrade a standard Skyline/S2000/RX-7 etc. into one of those cars you'd see on NFS underground!

I suppose the issue then becomes what amount the insurer would add to the annual premium. If you've spent £200 in upgrades, only for your premium to go up by £100 per year (or more) - not the best feeling! But I imagine most just get on with it for the sake of their passion to tinker (which I totally advocate).

I wonder if the US and Japan have the same system, where modifications would increase your premium anywhere from 10 to 50%, makes me wonder how much it would add to the annual premium to upgrade a standard Skyline/S2000/RX-7 etc. into one of those cars you'd see on NFS underground!
You can always ring your insurer and ask them for a price. Tell them you are thinking about adding / changing parts xyz and what would the premium look like. The good news is usually if you've just renewed then you might just get away with paying for a policy amendment (~£25). Depends on who your insurer is.

Got a letter telling me that I need to get an MOT for my VED payments to continue.

Hm... I guess I've had the Crown for a year already. :p

Only the second time one of my MOTs has run out without me knowing! At least this time I didn't drive it by accident. :eek:

Last edited:
Got a letter telling me that I need to get an MOT for my VED payments to continue.

Hm... I guess I've had the Crown for a year already. :p

Only the second time one of my MOTs has run out without me knowing! At least this time I didn't drive it by accident. :eek:

Worth having MOT reminders on (email notifications) if you don't already - I didn't bother with just one car but with several vehicles it is really handy rather than trying to remember.

Worth having MOT reminders on (email notifications) if you don't already - I didn't bother with just one car but with several vehicles it is really handy rather than trying to remember.

They only remind you 7 weeks before the MOT expires according to this letter.

I'm sure there are probably third party services available though.

They only remind you 7 weeks before the MOT expires according to this letter.

I'm sure there are probably third party services available though.

If you have email reminders the final reminder is 14 days before:

If you have not booked an MOT yet, do it now. We will not send you any more reminders about this MOT unless it runs out.

I've lost count of the amount of places I've had emails from telling me my cars MOT is about to run out, seems almost anywhere I've ever put the reg in for anything decided I needed a reminder. Which is fine except I had it done weeks ago and they're still reminding me it runs out next week :o

Changed the interior on the wife's F25 X3. It was oyster leather which to be fair I do quite like (and I actually have in my own F30 too) and it looked nice enough when we first got the car:

Unfortunately a few years on and partly because of the kids the seats have a bit of wear on them. They would clean up quite nicely and some leather dye would probably sort the worst of it out but decided to just change the seats and door cards to black leather since that's what she prefers anyway:

Straightforward enough, but surprisingly time consuming. The armrest was particularly annoying.

They aren't perfect but they're pretty good and I'm quite happy with how the interior looks now. Somehow makes it feel totally different.

Last edited:
Changed the interior on the wife's F25 X3. It was oyster leather which to be fair I do quite like (and I actually have in my own F30 too) and it looked nice enough when we first got the car:

Unfortunately a few years on and partly because of the kids the seats have a bit of wear on them. They would clean up quite nicely and some leather dye would probably sort the worst of it out but decided to just change the seats and door cards to black leather since that's what she prefers anyway:

Straightforward enough, but surprisingly time consuming. The armrest was particularly annoying.

They aren't perfect but they're pretty good and I'm quite happy with how the interior looks now. Somehow makes it feel totally different.
Each to their own! we had an LCI F25 X3 and loved the Oyster, we had it 2.5 years and I had coated it in a leather dye blocker, it just wiped clean and no issues, although our kids where just teenagers then, so possibly less messy.

Personally, I'd have just had the seats reconditioned if not too bad but then both I and the Mrs do find all black interiors a bit too dreary, however I appreciate that's a personal thing.. I also couldn't stand the walnut burr trim when we viewed the car, so part of the deal when buying it was agreeing a nice price to get it all changed to Anthracite fine wood, which IMO looked a lot better..

Fair play for going the whole hog and swapping it all over though, a nice job, but very time consuming!

Last edited:
Pair of back tyres on the old Focus as they were cracking badly on the sidewall and tread blocks.

Did a coolant change and swapped the expansion tank at the same time on the MX-5. It was looking a bit worse for wear. It also passed it's MOT this week, zero advisories at 104,000 miles and 14 years old :cool:

Not really done anything to any of my cars, but put a deposit down on an Hyundai I30 N Performance. Its gonna be my family car, looking to change the wifes car soon as well. Ive also paid a deposit to have a Yaris GR brought to my local dealer for me to have a look at.. Maybe an expensive month? :D
The yaris feels horrible as a passenger.
Yea, drive like it's on rails. But it feels, looks and sounds like a Yaris.

Back
Top Bottom