What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Well that's it dropped off for MOT tomorrow lunchtime... Noticed 2 issues on the drive over. Flickering headlight and rubbing brake.

Can't remember being this nervous about an MOT! Car has been off the road since September. Driveway looks empty :(

Failed on one brake disc corroded, 3x brake discs advisory also. Looks like my weekend is planned out!

Associate
Swedish build quality seemed to have failed me this morning, I'm stopped at the side of the road with my truck supposedly overheating...

I've just knocked the ignition back on after well over an hour with the engine off and it's still reading high on the temperature display along with these warning messages.

A bit of investigation and it turns out my "Swedish" truck was actually built in France, what's the betting it's just some dodgy sensor?

French electrics at their finest. :rolleyes: :D
Its probably on 'grève'

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Update on the floor mats situation. I recently bought a set of mates from FinestCarMats having seen what appeared to be high quality mats with a tailored fit. Well I got them the other day and whilst they are indeed high quality, better than the BMW mat pile quality... The trim shape of the whole mat was too rounded and doesn't fit perfectly like the BMW mats do.

So I returned them and ended up buying just a driver's mat from BMW.

The last driver's only mat I bought from the dealer was in 2017 and the heel area has recently broken in on the underside hence the replacement.

Annoyingly, the OEM mats now are not as "black" as they were back in 2017, and the backside quality has been reduced from the rubbery layer to a rough felt-style layer. No idea how long these will last.

Also can't seem to be able to hoover-brush in "lines" like you could on the old OEM mats (example pic added) lol.

Think I will put my current passenger mats on marketplace and buy a new set of passenger mats to match the same shade as the driver mat now. All of my passenger mats are still in mint condition, it's just the driver side that needed replacing due to wear.
Old OEM mat finish/backside:
eKgsU2F.jpeg
feOXelH.jpeg

New OEM mat finish/backside:
TEkTdYI.jpeg
cCrOWnk.jpeg

LMAO the backside is more black than the front :cry:

Just why?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
£44 for the driver only mat. I've now ordered a full set so the colour shade all matches, £113 :/

Will need to return the driver's only mat because as it turns out you cannot buy just the passenger mats but can just the driver's mat. Another wtf from BMW...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I did go aftermarket, and the fit quality isn't as good as OEM. FinestCarMats charged £79 for their mats on offer which are normally over £100 for the supreme quality version, yet the trimming shape is not perfect like the OEM mats are. UK made too and all of brands I saw advertise their high end models the exact same way with similar images so I suspect they all use the same template for "tailoring".

The E46 footwell is very specific on the shape of the mat, anything that isn't perfectly OEM shaped will look crap when put in, and they don't even come with the retention clips.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Insured the E30 with Custodian.

I thought I'd give them a try, they're new etc, and I like the idea of being able to check my policy details in the app.

It was £60 cheaper than my invited renewal from my previous broker as well.

Soldato
Just went to fit a new pair of wipers and found that my passenger side by blade is actually the larger of the two. First time I've fitted blades to this car....surely they must have been swapped at build, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want the driver's side to be the biggest. Deep questions, I know.

Don
Just went to fit a new pair of wipers and found that my passenger side by blade is actually the larger of the two. First time I've fitted blades to this car....surely they must have been swapped at build, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want the driver's side to be the biggest. Deep questions, I know.

If it's an R56 then I found out the same, the passenger side is supposed to be longer.
I have no idea why, but it works and seems better than the equal length pair that was on it when I bought the car.

Soldato
Nope, GR86. Uses the same size wipers as the GT86 where the larger one was on the drivers side too. Pretty sure mine were just fitted wrong. Not that it's a big difference, only 2".

Funnily enough, as I walked the dog up the road later, I was checking out every car I passed and they all had smaller wipers on the passenger side...except for an R56 Mini where they looked about equal :p

Don
Nope, GR86. Uses the same size wipers as the GT86 where the larger one was on the drivers side too. Pretty sure mine were just fitted wrong. Not that it's a big difference, only 2".
Sorry, saw @kona786 post and assumed this was the mini thread :D

Funnily enough, as I walked the dog up the road later, I was checking out every car I passed and they all had smaller wipers on the passenger side...except for an R56 Mini where they looked about equal :p

Sounds about right, some websites list them as equal, but I checked various owners forums and the passenger side is 1" longer

Soldato
Doing some basic servicing on a friend's Micra this weekend, they also recently had Eicher brake pads fitted which are squealing like crazy already so going to see what can get to replace those.

Back
Top Bottom