What have you done to your car today?

Associate
For the first time since last year (!) I cleaned it I’m embarrassed to say, love the car and it deserves more love shown to it.

Soldato
Took the previous horn out of the van, it was an air horn but didn't work (would have got a shock when using that!) The original was still there so connected that back up so that it's working again.
Replaced the air filter as well as it was quite mucky.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
MOT expires in 30 days, so did a DIY health check on the car to see what needs attention, thankfully only thing I found were the anti rollbar links. Nice cheap fix at £12 for a set and 30 minutes of my time. :D

20240607-163720.jpg
20240607-171427.jpg

Soldato
Went to change oil in friend's K13 Micra today and noticed sump pan looks one big pot hole away from collapsing in a rusty mess.

Seems to be a surprisingly rare item, none of the usual sites, local car shop or even likes or Autodoc have it. Literally single seller on eBay has it and doesn't even look the right shape so emailed the dealer to see how much it is!

Soldato
New brake discs and pads on the rear today. First one took me 4 hours, second took me 2. Hoping to do both fronts tomorrow in 3 hours.

Wheel off and seeing the state of the old discs. Annoyingly not a lot of wear on the discs or pads at all, just very rusty. Like most of this car.

Gave the hub a brush:
Shiny, aside from all the rest of the parts:
And behind a grubby wheel:
And the offside:

Soldato
Nice. how did it take 4hours? Rust ?
First time doing any work on brakes, faffing about looking stuff up, going in and out to find tools, etc. partly just being cautious/overly gentle as well, I always forget cars need a bit of brute force compared to other things I do!

I was happy to take my time knowing I figured out the task and would do it quicker 3 more times straight after :p

Caporegime
First time doing any work on brakes, faffing about looking stuff up, going in and out to find tools, etc. partly just being cautious/overly gentle as well, I always forget cars need a bit of brute force compared to other things I do!

I was happy to take my time knowing I figured out the task and would do it quicker 3 more times straight after :p

I can tell its your first time cos you didn't throw the brake disk retaining screws in the bin. :p

(half joking)

Soldato
I really want to do my own front brakes but to be honest, I'm scared of doing it wrong. One of them squeaks a lot and it's very annoying.

I also don't own a torque wrench, which I think would be a sensible thing to have to do them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom