What have you done to your car today?

Jag had caught the attention of undesirables last week so figured today's dreary grey was a good opportunity to fix it.

PVTUqc7.jpeg

StmBurB.jpeg

Happy with that.

Yesterday i removed the rear passenger side wheel, replaced the ABS speed sensor, put it all back together, wiped any codes, went for a drive and learned that did absolutely bugger all

ABS lights back on

Wondering if it could be the drivers side rear sensor. Or even worse the reluctor ring.

May need to stick a thin washer in on the ABS sensor screw hole to allow a bit of a gap,

Not ideal but it will hopefully get rid of the ABS code

Last edited:
Today took my headlights off and sanded 1k followed by 2.5k but instead of polishing them up I got the compressor out and sprayed a coat of 2K Clear over the top. Hopefully these stay clear and non yellow for a bit more longer than usual!

This was just a cheap one that was what I could source during the pandemic after someone else cracked the original :( I don't think it was ever even UV protection treated/top coated:

PaH4R7Z.png

Didn't like to drive it with it like that so it has been sitting around for a month or so - had to work it up twice from 180 grit to get anything like acceptable results, it is structurally oxidised and far beyond redemption, hit it with a UV protection coat in the interim but it will have to go. Just a pain to source the correct thing aside from going through Nissan at a big mark up :(

Last edited:
Faffed about with my rubbish jack on my rubbish sloping driveway

Abs sensor I pulled out of the left rear (now replaced with new abs sensor) the donar was moved this evening to rear right with a washer to space it abit see if I can get the abs light to clear and a wipe code . Seems it's now abs warning is constant on now not only when hitting 50mph.

Possibly going to try and remove the rear right without the washer. Whilst I replace the pads on the weekend

Last edited:
Ordered my next service consumables including Spark Plugs which are uber unobtainable usually :rolleyes: but for some weird reason Renault decided to make a few recently due to no stock anywhere in the EU! (these plugs have no alternative and are made in South Korea ONLY by NGK using rare earth minerals!). Its pathetic really they refuse to make hardly any spares for modern Renaultsports anymore :rolleyes: 2-3months waits are not uncommon for basic service items you end up ordering stuff months in advance of when you actually need it!

Im certain if you look it up you'll find other recommended spark plugs which people use without bother.
Nope its not that simple there is not a single alternative suitable part its OEM or go without or get a hole in your piston like this poor chap in France! Who then had to buy a new piston etc etc then get it fitted! We think he used the wrong Alpine A110 plugs or pushed his engine tune too far....
The MK4 Renaultsport Megane RS engine is a work of art & produces tremendous stock power for a 1.8L engine (more than a Lamborghini per cubic cylinder capacity!). Same engine is used in the Alpine A110 series (slightly different plugs though). You can chance it & risk a piston meltdown or try to source the OEM!

tyQ9RNn.jpeg

gjcQmxV.jpeg

qlRv7is.jpeg

Nope its not that simple there is not a single alternative suitable part its OEM or go without or get a hole in your piston like this poor chap in France! Who then had to buy a new piston etc etc then get it fitted! We think he used the wrong Alpine A110 plugs or pushed his engine tune too far....
The MK4 Renaultsport Megane RS engine is a work of art & produces tremendous stock power for a 1.8L engine (more than a Lamborghini per cubic cylinder capacity!). Same engine is used in the Alpine A110 series (slightly different plugs though). You can chance it & risk a piston meltdown or try to source the OEM!

Call me a cynic but correlation does not equal causation, spark plugs are simple things in the grand scheme of things, a non oem plug is unlikely to create a bigger bang if the stock ones are so special, so failing to see how it would cause a failure in the piston, thats more likely to be a fake plug thats failed miserably or just bad luck/tune. at best the A110s gets 300bhp from the 1.8 whilst not to be sniffed at, there are far bigger power outputs from similar displacement engines out there all running on none unicorn plugs.

Call me a cynic but correlation does not equal causation, spark plugs are simple things in the grand scheme of things, a non oem plug is unlikely to create a bigger bang if the stock ones are so special, so failing to see how it would cause a failure in the piston, thats more likely to be a fake plug thats failed miserably or just bad luck/tune. at best the A110s gets 300bhp from the 1.8 whilst not to be sniffed at, there are far bigger power outputs from similar displacement engines out there all running on none unicorn plugs.

Apparently the spark plugs are special because they contain a resistor.

That is just bad design quite frankly. The resistor should be in the ignition leads/coil pack so that you don't need special service parts. BMW figured that out 40 years ago.

Trust the French to be awkward... :D

Last edited:
That is just bad design quite frankly.

Car design frequently makes me want to bang my head against a wall. I can't remember what make it was but a friend mentioned recently to change the cabin filters on their car they have to remove the accelerator pedal, some lining and about 12 screws to get to it! (I believe it is an imported left hand drive). I thought mine were bad enough having to pop the glovebox out and undo a couple of screws and delve about in the narrow space behind with a long screwdriver.

Last edited:
Apparently the spark plugs are special because they contain a resistor.

That is just bad design quite frankly. The resistor should be in the ignition leads/coil pack so that you don't need special service parts. BMW figured that out 40 years ago.

The large majority of plugs have internal resistors

Sums up my thoughts today while changing the gearbox oil on my DS3. To get to the fill port, the battery, battery tray and gear linkage need to be removed and the drain port is conveniently just out of reach behind a spacer bar. At least I won't have to do it again for a few more years and I probably won't even have the car by then anyway.

OCeYznLl.jpeg
tBoYEsBl.jpeg

I got caught speeding again! Go me! :o
38 in a 30 and I did a speed awareness course 14 months ago.

Comparison site seems to show an SP30 will likely only increase my insurance price by £30 - £40.

Anyone with an SP30 tell me if that is likely to be reflected in reality when I tell my insurer? :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom