What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
OP
Its going to be another drawn out teaser about another old rover I'm sure!

Not really a drawn out teaser - it's not really interesting enough for that.

It's a Mk1 MG ZS diesel, with the '+' spec meaning such amazing devices as electric windows, and erm... that's it.

On the upside it's the 113BHP version, seems to run OK and is epically frugal - it also has about 40 receipts from the last 5 years including a clutch kit, CV joints, all servicing done until recently and new tyres.

Nothing special, but it should save me some cash over the coming months. Amazingly nimble too, although the ride's rock hard!

Soldato
OP
I don't understand why you keep buying these cars.. I mean, I get the Rover thing as I've owned a few myself, but why keep buying crappy examples?? Just get a decent ZT190 or ZS180 and be done with it. Constantly buying £600 ones, fixing the odd bit, then buying another seems pointless to me!

80 miles a day to work and back for poor pay means a 180 isn't really an option. :p

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;23473426 said:
80 miles a day and you decided swapping a 2.0 diesel 75, probably one of the best cars Rover ever made, for a ZS, was a good idea? The mind boggles, the 75 was perfect unless it was a nail but you always tell us these cards are not nails so it can't have been that.

Presumably you will now spend the next 3 months telling us how good the ZS is only to change it for a 600 or something in April..

Yeah, I'm afraid it doesn't make sense Matt :p The ZS is ok in mk2 180 form, but a mk1 diesel to replace a 75??

If you are so confident you only ever want old Rovers, get something interesting like a P6 or SD1 :p

I totally see where you're both coming from - I can't explain it either but last week I had a hoon in a nicely sorted ZS diesel, and remembered how much I missed mine.

My commute is half motorway, half brisk country roads - perfect for a 75 with around 160BHP like mine. I also did the same commute back in 2011 in the ZS, and for some reason the chuckability of it made the first half (country part) so much fun, even though a motorway in a rock-hard car does suck after a while.

All in all it's not cost me anything - I'm actually going to come out of the deal a bit better off. It's partly down to the list of things the ZS has had replaced, all wearing transmission parts aside from the gearbox itself are pretty much new, as is the exhaust and the tyres.

You know me guys, I buy crap, get bored and sell on. As long as it's not costing me much (good scrappies around here!) it's a pretty harmless hobby - although I'd like to keep this one for a while.

As much as I love you lot, there's zero point justifying it because at the end of the day, the ZS is just a 90s Civic with rock-hard suspension and stick on tat. In my opinion, though, they got quite a good balance of economy and chuckability in the ZS diesels.

A4BC142B-4054-4DE4-89CF-9053D77ED680-394-0000005FD0A51026.jpg

Soldato
OP
Gave the ZS a quick once-over this morning to make a list of bits I'll need to prepare it for the 500 mile per week hammering it's going to get.

So far, so good - the only real thing I can find that needs doing is fitting an auxiliary-in lead to the rather gash 'In Phase' stereo fitted. Currently using an FM transmitter and it's awful.

There's a slight rattle from the driver's door card that's annoying, but apart from that it's got a clean bill of health. :)

Soldato
OP
Got the stereo wired up correctly in the ZS, and gave both of the cars a good clean. :)

Found one of the tyres on the ZS is a different profile to the 3 others, that'll be sorted this week. Only 40 vs 45, so not too bad.

27528D11-4DDC-4C33-99F5-443717F92BA5-299-0000005A4EA86F36.jpg

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;23510942 said:
Yea but for a week tops? putting a new sensor on takes like 5 minutes. Whereas getting the solding iron out and soldering the wires together seems a bit more like it was intended to disable it permanantly?

It does indeed, however if I was doing it it'd probably be one of those jobs I put off for ages with the way the weather's been here.

Pull wire off, blob of solder, plug back in - rather than having to take the pads out (do you have to take the pads out? Not done them on the 75).

Soldato
OP
Waaaaay, I knew the ZS would have an issue at some point.

Of all the British stuff to break, it was a contact in the Japanese starter motor!

£3 later, a new contact is in the post. It's not properly broken, just a bit sticky.

Soldato
OP
But they were never a special brand, they didn't make incredible cars, they were just fairly average if poorly built cars. Take the tuning out of the equation for now, but I'd find a 2.0 petrol rover hatchback much more of a yawnfest than a 2.0 focus.

I've spent a lot of time in a 2.0 Focus (W reg) and conversely in an old 420Si (non turbo), the Focus was astronomically boring.

Granted, the Rover was too - but overall on ride quality and general enjoyment the Rover wins, as a passenger anyway.

I also test drove a 1.8 petrol Focus (51 reg) and it was also boring. The 400 actually has a tiny, TINY bit of life, the Focus just felt so dull and lifeless.

Soldato
OP
Well, just to keep this thread updated...

I decided to give the car a once over with a fine tooth comb, as I'd never actually checked anything properly until now. Main bits:

- Jacked it up, all 4 wheels off for inspection of alloys, brakes and suspension
- Check of underneath engine for leaks etc
- Under body check, remove sill trims to check for rust, check exhaust system over
- Check of all pipework for rust, leaks and other issues

After all that, the only issue I could find is that the coolant and fuel rail (metal) is corroded, but not to the point of worry.
Everything else seems OK, touch wood!

Also, I must get around to fitting the new starter contacts, although it's been behaving recently.

Soldato
OP
D'oh!

I noticed I was losing some power, only seemed intermittent though.

So I gave the car a quick check over and found this:
Picture002_zpsa838e37d.jpg

Soaked air filter, and soaked MAF.
Turns out the pipe drawing air from the inner wing is missing, meaning the bottom of the airbox is open to the elements. Awesome!

Picture001_zps115371a4.jpg

New air filter fitted, MAF cleaned and it's fine now. Bloody cars. :p

Soldato
OP
Grrr! :mad:

Just done a tyre check and I'm looking at 3x new tyres (going to do all 4 anyway) in the next month - about 3mm of tread left.

Thinking of Nankang NS2, anything else decent but cheap in the 205/45/17 size?

Looking at £55 a corner fitted or £46 a corner from Camskill.

Back
Top Bottom