What have you done to your car today?

Took it to Cotswold BMW for an oil service and coolant change. Oil change wasn't due for 5000 miles but I couldn't leave it any longer considering it's been a year since the last oil change / 13000 miles. 18,000 mile intervals - no way! Had the coolant done after most of the coolant was replaced by pure water due to a coolant leak from a dodgy o-ring a month ago. Did all of the filters myself towards the end of last year so they didn't need doing.

Dealer was impressed by the condition of the car - I don't think they looked at it because there are 101 things wrong with it from my point of view :p

Posted this in the Type R thread aswell, might aswell post it here aswell:

So I picked up a EP3 around 3 weeks ago, bought it as a project car. The car was being prepped for track use by the previous owner but it never went to a track and was parked up for around a year so I decided to buy it off him and put it back on the road or keep it for myself as a round about.

The car itself is in immaculate condition, only thing letting it down is the front bumper as it has a Mugen splitter fitted but is not painted and the bumper also has a crack on it. The dashboard was cut in half and all airvents removed, all the airbags and airbag control module and airbag wiring was removed, all the looms were cut and all abs wiring was removed and the interior was stripped out so no carpet, rear seats or anything but luckily the car came with all the things. The aircon is also removed but will be refitting it as all the pipework is included.

Picked up a replacement dashboard, dashboard loom, airbag loom and cabin loom earlier this week and started working on the car today. Set about stripping the full interior down and removed the old dash and managed to get all the new looms installed, turned the car on and everything is working perfectly, Airbag lights are gone and the ABS light has turned off aswell. Will be putting the dashboard back in tomorrow and while I'm at it, I'll also be sound deadning the whole car before I put the carpets and interior back in.

Pics from today's progress, Interior removed:
bqt71xH.jpg

Every single loom replaced with new ones:
xzj0gWy.jpg
0wOdEFh.jpg

Chuffed with myself :)

Did the Valve adjustment and new spark plugs on the M3:

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

Last edited:
Spent the sunny afternoon giving the ST a nice wash and it's getting near time to get the Oz's refitted once I've got a new set of tyres sorted.

Bought a bonnet strut kit when the car was at Collins Performance for it's service so started off getting it fitted. As it's easier taking off the deflector/trim panels along the inside of the wings, that means removing the windscreen plenum panel which locates into a retaining strip that clips along the bottom of the windscreen. or used to :(

So I planned on fitting a new one retaining strip as part of the job. Took ages in the end as it just didn't want to push onto the screen, in the end I had to use a plastic mallet to thump it into place as gently as I could. Not the ideal way to fit something onto the windscreen but got there in the end.

Also cut away the fender trim panels and got the lower brackets for the strut kit fitted in place. Had originally hoped to just cut slots into the side of the panels but wouldn't be able to bolt them in place that way so ended up cutting a full section out of the side of the panel so it could drop down over the lifter bracket, which is fixed with one of the bolts holding the wing in place.

Doing that lot plus little odds and sods where panels could rub on paintwork etc took all of the evening so finishing off the struts will have to wait till another day.

Last edited:
Didn't get the chance to take any pics, but installed some LED front indicators (similar to the Weisslight units) to the M3. No more fried egg look and the indicator pulse is now instant on/off.

Edit: Have a video

Last edited:
Thursday (so not exactly today) Had a nice bit of work done to the Clio
Catcams 428 Installed (to replace my broken set of standard cams)
Gates Powergrip cambelt Inc Metal Pullys fitted
New Pas pump with less whine fitted.
New genuine AUX belt fitted.

I also picked up a 172 Decat with a 182 Cat welded in from the guy who did the cams for a nice price of £60. I aim to fit that this weekend coming. Or maybe tonight if I feel up to it.

Things to do:
Fit new Track Rods
Replace Drivers side Drive shaft due to dieing CV joint
Replace Reverse light switch on gearbox
Clear any corrosion from Rear lights as Fog lights wont work.
Replace Resistor pack for heating as its stopped working.

Not a small list but its all good fun :D

Went to code the light module tonight, loaded up SSS, takes ages to load, took ages to read the car and somehow I managed to end up resetting the light module to factory defaults and clear any fault codes on the car according to SSS.

I think I need to brush up on how to actually code stuff using it :p

That's a battle for another day! The Android app has done most of my coding anyway, I just want to disable the Halogen flasher when Xenons are active so the Bi-Xenon part takes over as opposed to both acting as flasher. The dev said this is possible, I just need to find that option in SSS...

Picked up a replacement dashboard, dashboard loom, airbag loom and cabin loom earlier this week and started working on the car today. Set about stripping the full interior down and removed the old dash and managed to get all the new looms installed, turned the car on and everything is working perfectly, Airbag lights are gone and the ABS light has turned off aswell. Will be putting the dashboard back in tomorrow and while I'm at it, I'll also be sound deadning the whole car before I put the carpets and interior back in.

Pics from today's progress, Interior removed:
bqt71xH.jpg

Can I ask why you've stripped it out to such an extent? Is the dashboard replacement some uber light carbon fibre number? I've seen track cars stripped but never that far.

Kudos on having the patience.

The mountune badge? You didn't really want it in red? The tyre is dusty?

I give up. :p

The Mountune badge is the other. It's a Zetec which I've had fitted with the ZS front grill kit which I picked up second hand. The previous owner had a Titanium 125ps he had upgraded to MP-135ps via Mountune.

I hadn't realised the sticker was on there until I got home :)

Can I ask why you've stripped it out to such an extent? Is the dashboard replacement some uber light carbon fibre number? I've seen track cars stripped but never that far.

Kudos on having the patience.

He bought it half track prepped and I believe is now making it back into more of a road car, so is putting a proper dash back in to replace the 'track' butchered one that was in it.

I may have missed the part where he explained why he didn't just buy a decent non track prepped one :p

Don't know about anyone else but I hate cleaning car in the cold - Last Sat just managed to wash car with hose and soft microfiber cloth and get it dried and in garage as it started to rain.

Today is a nice warm sunny day so spent as few hours vacumming out inside and sprayed dash cleaner everywhere - then wiped down engine bay - put tyre black on tyres and it now looks something like reasonable - Next opportunity is wash it with warm soapy water and really get it clean.

Can't wait till April and get summer alloys back on.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom