What have you done to your car today?

Not my car but serviced a mate's Focus which had clearly not been done for a while...nice pollen and air filters:

oldfilters.jpg

Car's on 85k now and last service in the book was on 49k and I'm pretty certain it wouldn't have been touched at all in that time. Still seems to be going alright for now though.

Last edited:
Can I ask why you've stripped it out to such an extent? Is the dashboard replacement some uber light carbon fibre number? I've seen track cars stripped but never that far.

Kudos on having the patience.

He bought it half track prepped and I believe is now making it back into more of a road car, so is putting a proper dash back in to replace the 'track' butchered one that was in it.

I may have missed the part where he explained why he didn't just buy a decent non track prepped one :p

That is correct, The car was track prepped but never seen the track. I could have bought another car but I got it cheap and I dont mind doing stuff like this.

The reason I stripped everything out was because every single loom in the car was comprimised in some way. The rear loom had the ABS and seatbelt tension cables removed. The dashboard loom had the Airbag cables removed and module removed and the passenger airbag was missing. The dash was also cut away on the passenger side.

I stripped it down completely, replaced every single loom in the car and now everything is working perfectly, ABS is all back in, Aircon is all back in, Seatbelt and Airbag module cables are all back and I managed to fit the new dash back in today aswell. :)

u2wMi3Q.jpg

Put some fresh metal back in the boot of the ****box where there was once piles of iron oxide and fresh air. :D

MOT later this week once I've done the other side. It's only been on the to do list for about two years and I think the tester will have a sense of humour failure if I try any more times. :D

Did the air filter :)

7YQsbVI.jpg.png

Also fitted my replacement seat tilt handle.

Still looking for an offside front wing in silver, when I find one I'll fit it along with a new arch liner and mirror trim.

Last edited:
fitted a few things.
new tyres on the E39.
boot lip spoiler.
sprayed the corrosion on the mirrors.
rear pads.
replaced high level brake light bulb as it was giving errors.
raised the coil overs.
a good clay bar and polish.
now i just need to find a good passenger wing in titan silver.

Gearbox went back in last night, LSD overhaul kit installed. Took the diff down to doritech to check the breakaway on it. Locked solid with the spacers in, only 20lbft without. So it's going away to the machine shop tomorrow to have the spacers surface ground to achieve the 100lbft, and have the ring gear shimmed. More money as always :p The annoying thing is the old clutch discs looked totally fine, the reason the thing was one-wheeling is because it only had 25lbft breakaway which is apparently stock for the GTR that I got it out of. Still, it should lock tighter and more progressively with the nismo stack in it.

Washed it for the first time in 6 months (:p), cleaned and hoovered out the interior, cleaned all of the upholstery with foaming cleaner, cleaned the inside of all the windows, de-greased the wipers, did the tyre pressures again, put in a tiny bit more oil, put in some petrol, bought a bee-sting aerial to replace the one someone nicked (:mad:), bought some genuine 14" Polo alloys to replace my 14" steelies. £65, bargain. (well, plus the £35 in petrol to get them) :D

My to do list is now:

- Buy a silver wing
- Fit new silver wing and mirror trim
- paint the corner of the bonnet
- Touch up paint on bumper
- Polish out some of the minor scrapes
- Fix the heater control

Last edited:
Swapped the battery. What a PITA job that is on the zed!

Been there! You can see the thing but can you get it out ... can you **** :rolleyes: ended up pulling all the trim rubbish out, and luckily could stop short of taking the trim piece off under the wipers as I managed to wangle it through the gap.

... exhaust is still far more of a hassle on the Z IMO tho!

Got up early to look at one of the rear brakes because it has been binding quite badly. I could get home after work and put my hand on the wheel and it'd be fairly hot - you could feel the heat coming off the brake despite me hardly touching the brakes coming home.

Got the caliper off and cleaned up everything I could, pushed the piston back, put it all back together and the wheel moves much more freely now. The car also rolls much better whereas you could feel it dragging before. Just need to hope it stays that way rather than binding again, but it seemed fine after a short drive. Still expecting to have to fork out for a new caliper soon though.

It'll also have its Sunday clean today rather than tomorrow.

Trying to prepare to sell my car, looking through all the documentation that came with it, a flimsy couple of receipts for servicing and V5 shows 5 owners of the car previously. Bah don't think I'm going to be able to get much for this ;(

Back
Top Bottom