What have you done to your car today?

Associate
I took the picture of the car outside before I put it in, put the car in the garage then filled it again. Will have to move the hutches to get out, but trying to sell them anyway.

I did drive it in, took a while! Really don't want to get rid of it mind, for some reason I have a attachment to the car :(

Soldato
Just discovered that my car won't start this morning, a 2005 Ford Focus 1.8L Petrol. From all the signs given, it's from the battery being too weak to crank the engine over from what I can gather. The dials had started flickering earlier in the week, but I'd put off dealing with it until the weekend. Looks like that decision has bitten me squarely on the arse.

Are Halford's own brand batteries considered to be any good, it's about the only place that'll be open when I can get access to another car tonight.

Associate
I took the picture of the car outside before I put it in, put the car in the garage then filled it again. Will have to move the hutches to get out, but trying to sell them anyway.

I did drive it in, took a while! Really don't want to get rid of it mind, for some reason I have a attachment to the car :(

You may as well keep it then as it'll be worth bugger all. Out of interest how much is it advertised for?

Associate
I'm thinking the same. I know it's worth no more than £500 if a little more. Advertised for £800 with MOT and tax, I know I won't get that, would be happy with £600.

Associate
Finally got my car back from it's 6 week sabbatical at the dealer. Now with two thirds of a new gearbox (don't ask), and a complete brake overhaul and upgrade. Also replaced the stereo with a new bluetooth compatible unit. My wallet has been comprehensively and violently abused. But... It's so nice to have it back!

Soldato
Put it on the rolling road at Dreamscience in Hull for the first time since getting it, pretty damn impressed considering I've not even started on the engine internals yet :D
2m7b04m.png

30xa81i.jpg

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Finally got my car back from it's 6 week sabbatical at the dealer. Now with two thirds of a new gearbox (don't ask), and a complete brake overhaul and upgrade. Also replaced the stereo with a new bluetooth compatible unit. My wallet has been comprehensively and violently abused. But... It's so nice to have it back!
Was any of it warranty work or did you buy privately?

Rather unfortunate the gearbox went after only a few months :(

Associate
Was any of it warranty work or did you buy privately?

Rather unfortunate the gearbox went after only a few months :(

Sadly for me, it was a largely unfruitful, drawn out battle with the warranty company, hence having been without it for 6 weeks. Long story short, the warranty company refused to pay based on the get-out-of-jail-free "wear and tear" clause. Does make you wonder what you're paying for...

Anyhow, I came to an agreement with Bell and Colvill (who I bought it from). Neither party feels like it's the best deal so that can only mean it's reasonably fair!

For those interested, the second gear synchro was on its way out and was causing crunching going into second gear every time, no matter how you change gear. As a result, it needed a new second gear, second gear synchro and synchro hub. Not great. As a result of it not going through the insurance company, we took the decision to replace the third gear set at the same time (known as the weak gear in the set) seeing as the gear box is already in bits. As the gears come in pairs (second means buying first as well, and third means buying fourth as well), I've basically ended up with the two thirds of a new gearbox.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Weak.

Still good to hear it was sorted, albeit at considerable expense..
Fingers crossed 5th and reverse continue to work :p

Soldato
Nice one Shaun!

Ant was saying you was talking cams next?

Yeah really want cams to give it that surge after 4k, going to wait until my insurance has been sorted out then do it, might save a little longer and go for an AS inlet at the same time, should see 200+bhp with both combined and a fresh map :cool:

Guys at DS said my engine seemed especially strong to make those figures with my current mods and that 200 shouldn't be too hard to crack at all!

Edit: Oh yeah for forgot to mention that a photographer from Performance Ford mag was there today and my car will be in the mag along with 13 others from today :D :D

Last edited:
Associate
Weak.

Still good to hear it was sorted, albeit at considerable expense..
Fingers crossed 5th and reverse continue to work :p

Actually, taking a look at the invoice reveals that reverse has actually been replaced too! 5th and 6th don't get stressed too much so didn't feel it worth investing in replacements. That and they showed considerably less wear than the other gears.

Soldato
Replaced a rear brake caliper today. It was barely noticeably sticking, but the handbrake mechanism wasn't returning fully, causing some slack. After I removed and 'inspected' it, the act of doing this seemed to make it worse so off to ECP I went, and now I have a shiny new caliper and a fully operational handbrake. No doubt the nearside rear caliper will seize up next week but hey ho, I've always known it's a weak spot on the Mondeos.

Back
Top Bottom