What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Took both front wheels off to try and find the source of a knocking noise I get when turning at low speeds. Everything is as solid as it should be, the usual suspects (drop-links) look fine, they look surprisingly new actually even though I've had the car three years. At this moment in time I'm probably going to sway towards a CV joint or drive-shaft making the noise which is typical, it can't be the part which costs a mere £8 and can be fitted by a monkey like me in 10 minutes as that would be too easy.

I also think there's been something stuck under the rear pad on the front passenger brake for the last few months because there's a nice ridge in the pad and brake disc. I may buy a new disc and hopefully that will sort that out now that I've taken the brake pad out as I'm pretty sure the offending article fell on to the floor as I was examining the pad.

Other than that I've not done anything else with it today, I've got the week off so I might give it a proper clean up at some point now I've got some time to do it properly.

I might just ask a mechanic friend to see if they can source the knocking as I'm fed up of spending my time off work trying to fix problems on the car. The only time I have time off is to fix something on the thing as I don't have time to do it any other time.

Associate
Spent all day on the phone to insurers 'It's that day of the year again' getting a decently competitive and lower quote than last year.
Finally paid off with a very cheap premium and like for like mods cover.

Soldato
RSM tower totally tore apart and turned the shock into a jackhammer, an eye opener for sure. Lucky I was on the way to get it repaired anyway.
Here is it with all the split and torn metal cut away :eek:
860852_721192999115_1731088869_o.jpg

Soldato
Need to bleed my brakes after changing the pads, can't think of anywhere else in Cardiff I can get a cheap kit from other than Halfords only the reviews for their kit aren't very promising! :(

e: can anyone with half a clue tell me if this'll do the job? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_204703_langId_-1_categoryId_255216 I never thought about needing to bleed brakes when I decided to change the pads myself :D

Last edited:
Associate
Need to bleed my brakes after changing the pads, can't think of anywhere else in Cardiff I can get a cheap kit from other than Halfords only the reviews for their kit aren't very promising! :(

e: can anyone with half a clue tell me if this'll do the job? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_204703_langId_-1_categoryId_255216 I never thought about needing to bleed brakes when I decided to change the pads myself :D

Ideally you want a bleed kit that uses pressure to push the fluid through the system, that just looks like it goes over a nipple. However there's something wrong if you need to bleed the brakes after just changing pads.

Soldato
Ideally you want a bleed kit that uses pressure to push the fluid through the system, that just looks like it goes over a nipple. However there's something wrong if you need to bleed the brakes after just changing pads.

There's nothing wrong, I didnt have a gclamp or anything to push the piston back in so I just took the pipe off the back of the unit and quickly knocked the piston back a bit, lost a bit of fluid so the system needs bleeding.

Associate
washed the outside, maybe do the inside. Anyone got any tips on how to get greasy windows cleaned without leaving streaks, last time i did it with window cleaner and cloth just left annoying streaks or maybe i just have bad technique :p

Soldato
Stuck the disco on the rollers to play with the new software.
Had a go at "discrete measurment" power run to properly abuse it.
(discrete holds the car at your chosen RPM intervals for two seconds to get a true torque and power reading) but takes twice as long to do one power run
2000 pause 2 secs
2500 pause 2 secs
3000 pause 2 secs

etc.

Result - horse**** figures :confused:

Back to normal no slip, auto box, lock it in third and mash it technique then. :rolleyes:
128BHP and 230TORQUES!.... Close enough :D (supposed to be 136BHP and 238lb/ft)

I almost feel the need to get hold of a manual box just so I can tune it accurately LOL, then stick the auto back in for the offroad adventures.

Last edited:
Soldato
washed the outside, maybe do the inside. Anyone got any tips on how to get greasy windows cleaned without leaving streaks, last time i did it with window cleaner and cloth just left annoying streaks or maybe i just have bad technique :p

Wash it first with a simple fairly liquid in water (degreaser), never mind about how much of mess the windows look afterwards.
Once it's dry, then you can get the windolene out.

Soldato
Oil & filter change #9 since owning the car. Also removed another heatshield, the bracket had rusted through.

:confused:

seems a lot. can't you just buy fully synth?

changed the stock cassette:)p) player for a sony xplod something-or-other that we removed from my gf's TT before she sold it.

oh and taxed it. £121 for 6 months:(

Soldato
Shop around on the net and you'll get them for about £25. Had some Osrams before the last pair of Phiips but they blew after 12 months. The previous pair of Philips +100% lasted nearly 5 years so the extra cost appears justified.

The silver Osram indicator bulbs are excellent though.

Associate
Didn't take pictures but.. Stripped the 106 we bought, cleaned everything and started to reassemble with sound deadening and silicon and so on.

Back
Top Bottom