What have you done to your car today?

Associate
The suage line looks distorted in the first pic. What happened there?

Is that a racing beat exhaust too? Had one on mine, sounded lovely.

I hadn't noticed but the quality of the pics has dropped after uploading them. I will have a proper nose later, on the pics I've got a good chunk of that area was cut out. Just the MX-5 parts exhaust, they had a 10% sale just after crimbo so nabbed it then.

:D

Good effort with the 5, Where did you get it done ? Looks mint. :cool:

Are you on Nutz or Phoenix 5's ? You need to bring that to one of our meets. :)

I am on Nutz & MX5OC but not really popped on Nutz for awhile. Got it done at a local place in Norwich (Max Bidwell) which was recommended by the chap who did the mechanical work on it.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Well the meets are getting busy & frequent so get yourself back on there. :)

Took my 5 down my daughters today so 2 hour rash down a visit & an even madder 2 hour rash back. Now I've got all 6 catches on my hardtop & the bonnet pinned down I pushed it harder than I've ever done before. Got time on my mates ramp tomorrow so I have an engine flush/oil change/hi flow filter/New Discs & Pads/Bypassing aircon & a few other bits & bobs to do so the good run it had today has set it up for it's big service & work tomorrow.
Had it since November now & still can't believe how good it is. Much love for my 5. :p

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Well I am thinking of selling my Uber cool wheels for cash & a set of 15's then using the cash to chuck a Turbo on. :p
It will never end & it's already been said that it's about the size of a coffin for me so I can end up getting buried in it an all so no money will be wasted. :D

Associate
Tried to figure out which front wheel bearing has started degrading, and find out what has caused one rear wheel to have massive camber and wear the inside of the tyre quite badly where the other is arrow straight (4 wheel aligned not terribly long ago)

Soldato
Replaced the cam cover gasket, was leaking bad, but the gasket wasn't in bad shape. This makes me think either the gasket was done poorly, or the pcv system is struggling to relieve the pressure in the crankcase, and it's pushing out oil.

I also did the infamous n249 delete. My god what a transformation! It must have been on the way out, because theres no more pulsing in lower gears, boost kicks in faster and more reliably. Loving it!

Associate
Well the meets are getting busy & frequent so get yourself back on there. :)

I will do, probably chop & paste the entire lot. It serves as a warning I guess, it may look ok when you buy it but you never know what horrors are really lurking underneath.

The suage line looks distorted in the first pic. What happened there?

Had a proper look and its slightly wider on both sides, not as noticeable as in the pictures. Probably just the new panels being pattern parts.

Soldato
Finally got round to changing the gearbox oil in my 307.

Attached a 1 metre length of 8mm clear plastic pipe to the bottles of oil, poked the other end in the fill hole, job done.

The old oil had never been changed and was swarf free too.

Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
**** me I've been on some Mental Mission today.

Time on my mates ramp so the following was going to be fitted.

New Discs & Pads - Job went well enough after they were out & everything was cleaned & lubed properly.

Engine Flush & Hi Flow filter - job went perfect, Dip my oil now & it's as clean as it is when it came out the can.

Front & Rear Under Braces - Was slightly awkward but the job turned out perfect.

Change both belts 1 bypassing aircon - What a complete ******* ******* of a job, Job was going fine until a stupid slot in piece was knocked off the thermostat housing, It just plugs in & had rusted so the slightest touch snapped it, Common issue apparently so I had Water dripping out. Had to get inventive as a Thermo housing etc is 70 quid & not to hand. Cut down some Brake pipe then shaped the end to fit & tapped it in, Got a 20mm 3 way T junction water pipe connector & shaved the ends off & tapered them in as well, Bit of lube & slid them on with untold fuss & then clamped them up nice, Bitch of a job but we done it with what we had at hand.

Am home now with the car all sorted, Definitely feels stiffer with the braces on & I'm pretty happy to have had all those **** jobs done whilst on the ramp & with Air Heat & a welder handy. :p

Next on my to do list is New Thermostat Housing, Thermostat, water pump & Cambelt & Kit.

Pics of my braces & Expert Bodges to follow. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Worked out that the rattling noise is coming from my front brake pads, as they don't sit as snugly in the carriers as they ought to. Trouble is I'm torn between trying more grease and stick-on shims to quieten them down, or just ordering some Ford OEM ones that will no doubt fit better for the sake of £40. But doing this seems like a bit of a waste seeing as there's plenty of meat on the Pagid pads.

I'm also not sure if the mk3 Mondeo should have pad retaining / anti-rattle springs or not (like what you can just about see in the photo above, incidentally).

Soldato
Worked out that the rattling noise is coming from my front brake pads, as they don't sit as snugly in the carriers as they ought to. Trouble is I'm torn between trying more grease and stick-on shims to quieten them down, or just ordering some Ford OEM ones that will no doubt fit better for the sake of £40. But doing this seems like a bit of a waste seeing as there's plenty of meat on the Pagid pads.

I'm also not sure if the mk3 Mondeo should have pad retaining / anti-rattle springs or not (like what you can just about see in the photo above, incidentally).

What was your rattle like? was a metal on metal sounding, and worse on rough roads?

Back
Top Bottom