What have you done to your car today?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The worst part was standing there in the middle of the road like some kind of berk, picking up my trim, shoving it in the boot and then sheepishly going on my way.

Will look back at this moment in years to come and probably laugh and perhaps slit wrists.

Soldato
The worst part was standing there in the middle of the road like some kind of berk, picking up my trim, shoving it in the boot and then sheepishly going on my way.

Will look back at this moment in years to come and probably laugh and perhaps slit wrists.

Know that feel bro (wasn't quite as bad as ripping off a sideskirt but it was in full view of another driver).

Soldato
Someone tired of people driving over their grass, presumably. Not that uncommon a thing to see really?

As for the damage, I'd be tempted just to leave the sill and put a new cover on. Like you said, the sill is a major structural component. I'd rather a dented one than a butchered one. Repaired will never be the same standard as factory and will almost certainly be the first part of the car to rot out. Sucks because I know you're a perfectionist with the car and it will bother you either way.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Who puts a rock there anyway ?!

As above, put there to stop people parking on/driving over the grass. I must have just skimmed it and because of its weight it just went godzilla on the sill as there's no tyre marks on the grass or grass on the tyres so it was just bad luck :S

As for the damage, taking it to my local body shop this afternoon for an estimate. I'd want the sill repaired really and I know it won't be the exact same afterwards (naturally!) but it would be repaired either way and there is a dent just above the sill that would also be sorted.

The underside of the sill is dented in quite a bit having had a proper look this morning, I'll get a better pic this afternoon but to me it did look quite substantial but will wait for the garage's opinion there first :p

Edit*

Here's zoomed in version of the above pic where you can see the dent:
20130501_201748_HDR-01.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Unlucky dude :(

Someone tired of people driving over their grass, presumably. Not that uncommon a thing to see really?

off and onto the path? Yeah okay.

As for the damage, I'd be tempted just to leave the sill and put a new cover on. Like you said, the sill is a major structural component. I'd rather a dented one than a butchered one. Repaired will never be the same standard as factory and will almost certainly be the first part of the car to rot out. Sucks because I know you're a perfectionist with the car and it will bother you either way.

Structural sections typically are 'structural' because they are box 'sections' rather than panels. A dented one offers less section and is far more likely to buckle..... exactly why it would need fixing properly.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Body shop reckons around £450. I'll need to get a new sill trim and also the lower part of the sill itself as they will need to pull out the crumpled parts, cut around it then join the new part in place to be right again.

Back
Top Bottom