What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
are you 100% sure it was the HT? do you have any better pics of the head of the plug? that is seriously messy and you absolutely want to get to the bottom of the cause of that

Not 100% but the rest of the plugs were fine for there age, (which tbh i've probably stretched them a bit!) and this had the damaged lead with water ingress. (god knows how considering its located under the plenom!)

The electrodes condititon is likely to be just the misfire. :)

Soldato
Had a bit of an up and down day with the car. Managed to fit new rear arb polybushes, was chuffed at being able to do it in less than an hour.....

Only to then have a lucky escape, as the car slid off an axle stand as I was lifting it down. The stand managed to puncture the fuel filter, but that was the only damage. I was dam lucky it didn't carry on into the fuel tank, and the only damage is just a £6 fuel filter. However, I can't drive it, as fuel pressure just squirts the fuel out the hole.

Shook me up to say the least, not sure I will be messing with the car for a while. :(

Finally got round to fitting a new stereo. Old one has been dead for well over a year :o What an utter ball ache! Didn't have the right keys to get the old one out so had to remove the center console & dash panel. Good job too as the old cage was not coming out otherwise. Then, THEN there was the mess that was the wiring. I want to find the person that made this mess & kick them in the groin. Repeatedly.

New one is all fitted now, just need to cut a hole in the cubby hole at the back of the arm rest. The rear USB cable is about 4" too short to nicely feed in the hole at the back where the filler/boot release levers pop through.

My MX5 stereo was a 1990s Panasonic POS that did not even play MP3s.
I went to replace it and realised that a previous owner had soldered all the cables directly into the connector.
I had to cut this off and solder in a new ISO adaptor I got on Ebay. What a PITA!
From my experience, having the right cage for an mx5 is critical. I had the wrong cage on a stereo I tried and it sat too far back in the dash and looked crap.

Soldato
Ordered 2 x Kumho KU39's

Ordered a pack of Autom Glym Magic Sponges in the hope they'll rid the previous owners dog scratches from the glove box and other random marks

Got the roof and boot covered in bird poo

Associate
That wiring is a mess :O Pictures when done :)?

After:

Rear USB cable is currently coming up through a hole underneath the ashtray in the console. Not ideal as I want to hide everything in the big cubby under the arm rest. Was slightly miffed with the wiring as I could only find one live feed for the stereo & not 1 for batt + 1 for ignition.

Soldato
Pete, did you used to read Max Power back in the 90s?

If so, do you remember a writer called HughJayTeens? :D i wondered if that inspired your username at all

Soldato
After:

Rear USB cable is currently coming up through a hole underneath the ashtray in the console. Not ideal as I want to hide everything in the big cubby under the arm rest. Was slightly miffed with the wiring as I could only find one live feed for the stereo & not 1 for batt + 1 for ignition.

Looks neat to me! Can u not push the cd player in any more? Looks quite far out to me. Mine sits flush

20130326184640.jpg

But it could be down to the car i guess

Iv fitted my wind deflectors today :D

39695935934279416634428.jpg

Had them on old car and liked them so bought some more

Associate
Pete, did you used to read Max Power back in the 90s?

If so, do you remember a writer called HughJayTeens? :D i wondered if that inspired your username at all

I did but not on a regular basis. Remember getting a copy confiscated at school because it had boobies in it :D Username is just from when I used to have my Renault 19, it's just stuck ever since.

Looks neat to me! Can u not push the cd player in any more? Looks quite far out to me. Mine sits flush

I'd like too but as Westy said that is just how it is in the 5. The cage & actual unit are flush but with the fascia on it sticks out a little.

Soldato
Stupid car's stupid brakes are working properly now, for now, touch wood, fingers crossed, and all that jazz. Attacked everything with a wire brush and cleaned the hell out of it.

If that didn't work then I was going to asking Clarkey to borrow his variety of hammers ;)

Soldato
It's a no go :( ****!

Got them off without much damage so keeping them now :cool: providing I can find the locking nut! It'll turn up at some random point in the future no doubt!

The ease at which they came of has cemented the thoughts that locking wheel nuts are a waste of time. If someone is willing to nick your wheels I'm sure they'll be carrying the right tools for the job with them....

Had the car checked out today, been getting some vibrations whilst braking, caliper pistons are sticking so considering options! Well, the rear N/S is sticking but the shaking steering wheel when braking might be warped disks because bushes are fine and the front calipers are now free, they were sticky but not as much now. They suggested taking it to an MOT rolling road for diagnosis.

Hit it with a variety of hammers. Lost locking wheel nut key, got angry.

I should mention, those are two separate activities!

Heh! Must be something in the air, mine is long gone! Got the buggers off in next to no time though.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What have I "done"? I'm asking myself this right now but alas, these things can happen at any time. Just not the way I was seeing the day ending sadly.

rps20130501_202913_581.jpg

Pulling out of the driveway and completely blanked out the rock on the corner and skimmed it. It's bloody heavy too which resulted in the skirting trim ripping off, being bent and also denting the body panel where the trim attaches so some structural repair work will be needed for sure as well as a bit of denting just above the sill.

I'll take it to the body shop tomorrow to see what they say. It's going to be an expensive month that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom