What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
dammit, should have got some pics. i dont entirely remember what was on the connection to the slave. doing some painting tomorrow, once thats out the way then the car is going back in the air again, but i really couldnt see it today but the car feels like it has the symptoms that others mention

Soldato
Yesterday i dismantled the front brakes and gave them a proper clean. Then painted the calipers blue.

The disks are so diddy behind the alloy when you are looking at them properly. Got me looking into the Focus ST brake upgrade which is 20mm bigger, even then i think the brakes will look tiny.

Also cant beleive how easy the Mondeo brakes dismantle. Could do both front end disk and pad change in 20min. No annoying clip that scratches up the caliper.

Man of Honour
Yesterday I took the Corrado to Stanford Hall VW show. It was also the 25th anniversary of the Corrado so the CCGB (Corrado Club of GB) had booked a larger than normal stand and people had travelled from all parts of the UK from the South coast, to Scotland and Wales in miniature convoys. We managed to get around 53 cars turn up in the end, which is quite an achievement when there are so few left in the UK now (that's around 2% or 3% of the UK populaton).

It's the first time I've been to Stanford and it was a very relaxed day and unlike car shows I've been to in the past. With most of the cars being either Beetles or Campers it was much more family oriented than a typical show.

A video taken by another member, although it was at about 8am so only half the cars had arrived at that point:
http://youtu.be/fuuRT4h2iOY

I've hardly used the Corrado through winter and it was lovely to get it out on a sunny day on a long run. A mutual thumbs up from a mk2 GTI while near home on the M25 topped the day off and reminded me why I love owning an older car.

I've had some serious thoughts about selling the Corrado recently and getting back into a mk1 TT but honestly I would sorely miss this car if I did.

Soldato
Took the EGR and inlet manifold off on Saturday and gave them both a good clean. Changed the oil temp stat and regular thermostat at the same time.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have solved the temp-guage problem so I'm a bit lost as to what to try next…

Soldato
Took the EGR and inlet manifold off on Saturday and gave them both a good clean. Changed the oil temp stat and regular thermostat at the same time.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have solved the temp-guage problem so I'm a bit lost as to what to try next…

Why? whats up with it? Replaced the temp sender?

Soldato
Drove it to the shops a few minutes ago. Ive been told so many times today how traffic is pure misery in town today, so i made sure if i went out it would be after dark.

the car feels amazing, absolutely love every fibre of its existence, LOVE IT

Soldato
Diagnosed another problem, broken engine mount(s). Applying just about enough torque to break the rear tyres loose is enough to foul the exhaust on the column and jam the steering, makes life exciting :eek:

Soldato
Oh, any idea how long its been like that?

We had an E30 325 to break years ago, out of all the mounts, only 1 was still functional (both gearbox and one engine mount broken). Before we put it on the truck to take it back someone did a burn out in it :D

When we got under the car we were stunned, it was just luck/chance that the mounts were landing in the right place everytime.

As for mine, took it to work, had dug out an old Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Deep Purple CD. Goddamn its been a good day so far.

Associate
Installed some ebay red light bulbs on the MX5 so i can finally drive it legally until I get the OEM tails fitted.
Plans for this weekend to have the car rust proofed, rear bumped and trunk lid to have dents repaired (you cant see in the photo, but they are there!) and painted, remove filler from the rear wings and bumper and fit OEM tails instead of these hideous things.
I am also going to put the US style plate on the rear and the UK style one on the front, it should look a bit better that way :)

Soldato
Why? whats up with it? Replaced the temp sender?

I thought it was the classic overcooling issue where the temp gauge on the dash doesn't move over 60 degrees. It's usually solved by replacing both of the stats but that doesn't see to have solved it.

Currently I've got two ideas. Either the stat supplied by Euro Car Parts isn't right (even though I swapped over the rubber gasket) or I've got an airlock, even though I've tried multiple times to clear any potential airlocks over the last few days.

I've got a genuine Ford stat ordered and will fit it at the weekend, then you're right, I'll have to look at the temp sender but it's a pain to replace.

Associate
What car are they from Ezah?

Thats something I would love to know! This is how the car was when I purchased it.

The most similar ones I have seen to these are on Infiniti FX45, but they are 2 piece tails, and these are single units. Its a very unusual shape.. I think the previous owner must have either loved the unique look or they broke the OEM ones and couldnt source replacements in this country.

Back
Top Bottom