What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Oh, any idea how long its been like that?

We had an E30 325 to break years ago, out of all the mounts, only 1 was still functional (both gearbox and one engine mount broken). Before we put it on the truck to take it back someone did a burn out in it :D

When we got under the car we were stunned, it was just luck/chance that the mounts were landing in the right place everytime.

As for mine, took it to work, had dug out an old Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Deep Purple CD. Goddamn its been a good day so far.

Only a few days, actually it's a very common thing on these. Had 3 e36 engines out now, and 2 of them had both mounts fall to pieces on removal, the other one was a 4 banger auto though.
It's almost standard procedure at skidrisk days to tie down broken engine mounts with ratchet straps on them lol :D

Soldato
thats another job on my "list of things to do that is never going to end"

its about £100 for a pair of Lemforder bits from ECP, from memory

Soldato
Thats something I would love to know! This is how the car was when I purchased it.

The most similar ones I have seen to these are on Infiniti FX45, but they are 2 piece tails, and these are single units. Its a very unusual shape.. I think the previous owner must have either loved the unique look or they broke the OEM ones and couldnt source replacements in this country.

Oh I thought you knew :)

They must have bought a matching rear bumper as well surely, as they're quite a bit slimmer than the OEM ones!

Associate
I am pretty sure no one is making bumpers just to allow dodgy tail lights to be fitted.. I am hoping the gap has been filled on the bumper and rear wings, otherwise I am in trouble! I should find out this weekend.
Other than the area around the light housing, they look normal, no?

Edit : I had considered importing a new bumper and all the fittings from the US (my only option really), but its such a cost and hassle.. Ill need to fettle this myself.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Today I attempted to find the cause of my passenger door lock not opening with the button/fob (although it does lock).

e46_dooroff.jpg

To:
e46_dooron.jpg

I'm gonna need a new door actuator. Also, very impressed with how robust and tough/well built the door panel is. No wonder all that outside sound is blocked out nicely.

Associate
Well my coil pack went when I was doing 70. So started stripping it and giving it a full service over the next few days. Looking at £170 for a new coil pack, air filter, pollen filter, oil, oil filter, spark plugs, coolant, water pump and timing belt with tensioner (don't think I missed anything).

Oh and it needs a gearbox oil change. 206 Auto. Pain. :)

Caporegime
Has anyone here fitted rear parking sensor kits to their car?

For £14 from eBay it's hard to find a reason not to. Or will they likely fail/be rubbish or go off if they have a spec of dirt on them or would it be worthwhile buying a more expensive kit?

Ta!
Jake

Associate
Replaced an intermitant fuel injector, and taken my dead instrument panel to an electronics repair shop to get them to resolder the dodgy motorola chip. Bargain on the resolder, £90 rather than £700 for a new S60 DIM.

Soldato
Has anyone here fitted rear parking sensor kits to their car?

For £14 from eBay it's hard to find a reason not to. Or will they likely fail/be rubbish or go off if they have a spec of dirt on them or would it be worthwhile buying a more expensive kit?

Ta!
Jake

I have, to my car and my mums. They work brilliantly.

33a0381e.jpg

8323a9f2.jpg

564e1898.jpg

1f410a67.jpg

2860155a.jpg

a89fce46.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Today I attempted to find the cause of my passenger door lock not opening with the button/fob (although it does lock).

I'm gonna need a new door actuator. Also, very impressed with how robust and tough/well built the door panel is. No wonder all that outside sound is blocked out nicely.

Mine does this exact same thing, only intermittently, sometimes it lets me in, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it lets passengers in, sometimes it doesn't.

Apparently a very common problem on E46's

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've found the actuator for £55 inc delivery so will buy and spend an afternoon fitting it. It's an easy job but time consuming as getting it in and out is a bit of a task.

Still, bit of DIY is always good :) Having had the panel off I've seen it's easy access to the speakers as well should I ever think about replacing them or if one fails, was wondering about that in the past.

Soldato
Didn't have time to wash it myself this weekend as going to visit the parents and drive them somewhere for the day. They haven't seen the car yet so had to get inside and out done - £10 from a local polish place near work. Good job really.

Associate
Retrofitted the official BMW iPod kit to the 650i today, in place of the CD changer in glovebox (2 screws to release changer, pull it out and disconnect lead, replug lead and put module in place) massive improvement, definitely worth it for complete ipod control through idrive, far better than previous dension kits I have tried in the past.

Back
Top Bottom