What have you done to your car today?

Caporegime
25 and 6 years I think. 5000 miles, social and domestic only (Occupation probably goes against me)

Ahh see mine is 10,000 miles including commuting, and then I'm younger and with half the NCD. Down as "Service Engineer" in "Computer Services" which isn't a great title for insurance either. :)

I will try Greenlight tomorrow though, I had forgotten about them because they don't cover BMW's so I discounted them the last time I was looking.

Soldato
Lined up my insurance quote for the new one. £910 fully comp & fully declared on an ERS Modified Car policy. Not that bad in my eyes, still enough to make some of you feel uncomfortable though I imagine. :p

£10 less than I paid for the BMW on an ERS Modified Classic policy.

That's not bad.. half what mine is. Moving 1.5mi away from my postcode drops my insurance by 800 lol. This stupid postcode is expensive. Can't wait to move tbf.

Soldato
Ahh see mine is 10,000 miles including commuting, and then I'm younger and with half the NCD. Down as "Service Engineer" in "Computer Services" which isn't a great title for insurance either. :)

I will try Greenlight tomorrow though, I had forgotten about them because they don't cover BMW's so I discounted them the last time I was looking.

You're the most honest person alive

Soldato
AEM wideband gauge (mostly) installed today...all wiring run and I've tested it all, but I need to jack it up tomorrow and stick the sensor in the spare bung before the cat. Ignore the super rich afr reading in the second pic :p, the camera has captured the flicker of the gauge display which is not visible to the naked eye.

V8Q4dj5.jpg

YUFdWrI.jpg

Caporegime
You're the most honest person alive

You have to be a bit honest otherwise you'll end up invalidating your insurance. That's the cheapest "ball park" job title for what I do.

I used to get away with "office worker" but they seem to have scrapped that now!

In terms of mileage and stuff I have to be honest because they ask for photos and current mileage.

Soldato
@Will any particular reason for the Wideband? Just as a bit of peace of mind?

Peace of mind, plus I like the look of aftermarket gauges (where neatly installed in a near OEM installation, not F&F gauge pods screwed everywhere), and I might be adding boost to the car at some point to where it'll be a bit more relavent/useful to know its running right :)

Soldato
New (2nd hand) Manifold and new centre pipe with sports cat fitted to the '86. Butt dyno loves it, neighbours won't!

cos1_04.jpg

cos1_03.jpg

Man of Honour
picked up a Renault megan estate yesterday, fitted £10 head unit toay.

but would like a new head unit as this one the lights constantly blink and you cant turn them off, I just assumed you would be able to turn such nonsense off but no.
So does anyone know a cheap headunit with Bluetooth and front usb that can turn all the stupid lights off and just have a dimish screen.

edit - nvm seems there is a way just not listed in manual.

Last edited:
Soldato
Took it to a garage to get the brakes looked at, will need a rear caliper replacing as one is seized (seized 'off', rather than on) and the other is described as being a bit sticky, decided that given the price for reconditioned calipers that I'll get both replaced with new slider pins/boots.

Associate
Front suspension parts (control arms, drop links and bushes) delivered today, so will be a days work at the weekend. I'm sure the parts on it are from the factory 13 years ago, so it should tighten up the front end!

Also ordered a VANOS seals kit and will do that in a couple of weeks, along with rocker cover gasket and other gaskets that are easily replaced at the same time. There's a tiny oil leak from the rocker head so figured I'd refurbish the VANOS while I'm at it.

Soldato
Replaced the clutch pedal spring tonight.
The GT86 has a helper spring on the clutch pedal which is pivoted in such a way to serve two purposes; when the pedal is released, the spring keeps it pushed all the way up, and then as you depress the pedal past a certain point, it does the opposite and helps push it down against the clutch pressure, the idea being to make the clutch feel lighter. The downside is that is nulls the feeling of the pedal and makes the disengagement point of the clutch quite hard to judge, and you can also feel a kind of unnatural, nonlinear change in the pedal pressure as you bring it back up and the spring starts to work against you. This has been one of my main criticisms of the car since day one, and although it's a popular modification in the US to simply remove the spring, it's much harder to do on RHD models because of the design of the clutch pedal. So I'd kind of learned to live with it, but I still lurch on downshifts quite often and over-rev when pulling away.

However, about a week ago, I found a detailed guide for how to do the modification on RHD vehicles, from an Australian owner. It means taking the pedal out of the car, but apart from the discomfort of having to scrabble around in the driver's footwell, it's not too bad a job - three bolts, disconnect the master cylinder and remove some sensors, but once out of the car, it makes replacing the spring easier (no idea how some people manage it in situ).

So I took the pedal out, and replaced the very powerful OEM spring and replaced it with a less powerful aftermarket version (most people just remove the spring entirely, but this can leave the pedal a little sloppy at the top of the travel).

The result is a marked improvement in clutch feeling. The clutch itself is a little heavier, as you are now feeling the weight of the clutch itself without assistance, and this means the engagement point is much easier to judge. Straight away, I felt a difference pulling away. I took the car for a quick spin around the block and it's feeling a hell of a lot better. There's less of a tendency to over-rev as I up shift while trying to re-engage the clutch, and less lurching on downshifts. The pedal is slightly heavier, but not enormously so, and is much more linear. A bit of a faff for such a simple job, but it's made an immense improvement. Very pleased :)

Clutch assembly on my bench with the new spring installed, top right.

IMAG0079_zpsvnrd8uvj.jpg

Associate
Drained oil, removed old oil filter (It kind of looked damaged, bent fins etc.). New oil and new filter. Then I washed, and waxed the car. Inside is tomorrows job!

Last edited:
Soldato
I emptied the inside, found so much junk i never knew i had.

Plan for tomorrow is to remove the rear Whiteline ARB so i can refit to the MPS when i get it on saturday! :D

Caporegime
Even the price increases for power are ridiculously reasonable. Cost me £50 a year from 200bhp to 250bhp, and agreed valuations are standard as well which I need to sort for mine once the rear end has been painted

I did have a good long discussion with the chap on the phone, it was refreshing because he really knew what he was talking about! He mentioned that because of my age etc I might have to go up in 50HP increments, so I wouldn't be able to slap a full turbo kit on and wind it up to 240HP in one go, I'd have to start off at about 180HP at first.

He did also say that I can add 20HP without notifying them, and can fit headers, induction, splitters and exterior trim bits, interior mods and all sorts of other stuff without notifying them, which I thought was brilliant! :)

Soldato
I did have a good long discussion with the chap on the phone, it was refreshing because he really knew what he was talking about! He mentioned that because of my age etc I might have to go up in 50HP increments, so I wouldn't be able to slap a full turbo kit on and wind it up to 240HP in one go, I'd have to start off at about 180HP at first.

He did also say that I can add 20HP without notifying them, and can fit headers, induction, splitters and exterior trim bits, interior mods and all sorts of other stuff without notifying them, which I thought was brilliant! :)

pfth :| wish I had insurance like that, going to try greenlight next year but I doubt they'll accept me.

current insurer refused lowered suspension, I mean cmon.

I will start working for an insurance company from 15th May and one of the benefits is 25% off the premiums so we'll see.. right now, they wont even quote me :D

Man of Honour

Sounds like you spoke to Neil then

I had the same as far as power, they were happy to increase it within a couple of months though.

It's nice knowing that there's no nasty surprise premium increases when you ring up to inform them of a new mod. First time I have ever stuck with the same insurance company two years running

Back
Top Bottom