What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
I may well be wrong but if your map version says 'Evo' it's not ID4 it's ID5?

If you're right then there are ID5 systems running ID4 firmware? As the two UI's are obviously different.

I should have looked at the labels when I had the unit out earlier as that would have cleared it up :o:p

Soldato
Fear not!

Improv. with a bungee cord to save having to disconnect some trim completely while I added a Wi-Fi antenna ahead of an ID4 to ID6 iDrive/Carplay flash tomorrow morning.

q9yiVXyl.jpg

See, far more fun lol.

Mine was relatively clean when I fitted the battery:

oTF9TnO.jpg

Also I got a shiny new knob :)

nhrD1Xh.jpg

Man of Honour
Took off the old plates that were screwed on and advertised the dealership on them and replaced them with advertisement free, stuck on plates. A much cleaner look overall.

I probably could have been more careful getting the old adhesive off, it dulled the plate slightly, but it’s behind the plate and could easily be paint corrected, not that there’s much point.

Happy with the outcome and learned a few things in the process.

I also touched up a couple of minor paint chips, you can’t beat a touch up pen for such a job.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
My 6-year-old projectile vomited all over the back of my 2-week-old Q7 :(

I really don't want to have to unbolt the seats but the liquid crept into the hinges :mad:
Will have a proper look during the week as the weather was ***** today.

It'll have to go to a detailer anyway as I don't have a wet-vac. Annoying, to say the least..

-edit. Have got a cheap-ish Nilfisk, steam cleaner and will try do it myself. **** it

Last edited:
Soldato
Changed the oil and filter today -
A one hour job turned into a two hour job.

No matter what, you always think you will be able to do anything no matter what.

I have a inspection pit in the garage so take boards up -drive car in - dive underneath and take cover off under the engine -shove cat litter tray under and drain out - go up top take filter out and replace. Dead easy.
What I hadn't bargained for was no matter which glasses I put on I couldn't see very well underneath even with lamp going - then my fingers don't work so screwing sump plug back in was 15min of pure french.
Then there was the little job of climbing the ladder to get out - Just imagine your legs are bandaged up and you can't bend knee very far.
Case of getting to the top and rolling to a spare space - roll over then try to get up onto your knees.

I will now get someone to do it next time.

I hate those trays under the engine.

Soldato
ID4 to ID6 CarPlay Flash / FlashXCode

Been running this for a few days now, it's well known the ID4 units have 2GB of RAM which can be a limiting factor but for general day-to-day I've not had any issues.

Whilst using OEM Nav, HUD NAV and Spotify via CarPlay and programming my preset 1-8 buttons (which were the only settings lost during the flash) OEM Nav did show a black screen and HUD NAV froze. This was fixed easily enough with a reset of the headunit (push volume dial/mute for 20 seconds.) During this period iDrive was perfectly usable and I could still navigate settings and to/from CarPlay as normal.

I've used it for a couple of days now with my 1-8 now already preset and haven't had any issues since. It's rare I'll use OEM nav but I do find the HUD directions handy and it's good to know OEM Nav and Carplay can run simultaneously. It's a shame on even the newest iDrive CarPlay HUD directions aren't a thing so nothing being missed there. Track skip buttons on the steering wheel work as expected.

I had an MMI box in my E92 and much prefer this, speed is fine, I don't notice any lag and connection via the £9 Amazon wi-fi antenna are fine. It runs full screen no issue.

Dragos at FlashXCode was great, good communication before and during the Flash on WhatsApp and even followed up a few days after to check how it was running. You'll see 'No Signal' and some blue screens throughout alongside lights on the dash which are then cleared once coding is finished.

Total time was about 50 minutes, it takes about 30 mins to Flash ID4 to ID6 and then another 10 mins to flash/enable CarPlay. I had the router on the drive to boost wifi signal and then TeamViewer on Window's to allow him to run ESYS.

He said after this BimmerCode won't be able to recognise the HeadUnit but can still be coded via ESYS.

A7I2sG8l.jpg

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
These things come in threes. You are two for two… :(
Oh don't say that!!
FWIW, the Q7 absolutely stinks. I can smell it a mile off :eek:
I had at it with all sorts last night; cleaning products, steamer, wet vac, etc.
Chlorine dioxide should be here tomorrow but not sure it'll work.

Will have to call "my guy" and hope he has time for a deep clean with his professional equipment :(

Soldato
Oh don't say that!!
FWIW, the Q7 absolutely stinks. I can smell it a mile off :eek:
I had at it with all sorts last night; cleaning products, steamer, wet vac, etc.
Chlorine dioxide should be here tomorrow but not sure it'll work.

Will have to call "my guy" and hope he has time for a deep clean with his professional equipment :(

Your guy sounds like your best bet, hope you get it sorted. Kids huh, what can you do.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
You guys really aren't filling me with confidence here. The ******* thing has 500 miles on it :(

-edit. "my guy" is too busy, but he's given me advice on what to do. Basically washing detergent and hot water/steam. Scrub it, leave it, repeat over and over. Then vacuum it up.

My little bottle of Auto Finesse spray won't cut it ;)

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Is it too late to reject? :D

I think the key here is repeated treatments. Perhaps even lifting the carpets, seats and even the seat covers/material to make sure you get it all.
Thankfully it's only in the carpet in the footwells and transmission tunnel but FFS. I wouldn't want to start pulling the trim apart. I'm sure there's a load of sound deadening underneath which has been nicely soaking :(

It's amazing though, wouldn't want to reject it, even though you were joking :p
Although the front wheels need rebalancing (on a brand new car?!) as there are vibrations. The dealer is over an hour's drive and won't do it at the weekend so I'd rather spend the money doing it locally than wasting it on petrol and taking a day off work :rolleyes:

Soldato
Thankfully it's only in the carpet in the footwells and transmission tunnel but FFS. I wouldn't want to start pulling the trim apart. I'm sure there's a load of sound deadening underneath which has been nicely soaking :(

Although the front wheels need rebalancing (on a brand new car?!) as there are vibrations. The dealer is over an hour's drive and won't do it at the weekend so I'd rather spend the money doing it locally than wasting it on petrol and taking a day off work :rolleyes:

I was making light of the situation, but only because I know this would be ******* me off if it was my car :D.

If you lift the rear bench, you’ll possibly find easy access to the insulation under the tm tunnel and footwells. I had to do this once on a B5 Passat, which had the usual water in the footwells issue. Obviously it was a diff car, but I was surprised how good the access was without removing loads of trim. The insulation can soak up quite a bit, you wouldn’t want anything festering down there long term.

Soldato

Would something like this help?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-CDCW-CSXS-SpotWash-Spot-Cleaner/dp/B08HN2P55M

Back
Top Bottom