What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Removed rear wiper motor from the Subaru outback just seized up and wouldn't move. After removal I can see why. Really bad corrosion where it mounted at window looks like water maybe got into motor. Whoever fitted this Chinese replacement in 2014 did not make sure the gasket was on properly is my guess.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Mine goes in for new braided lines and RBF660 fluid tomorrow. That'll finish off the brake upgrade as already done discs and pads, then off to Swift Performance on Monday for full Geo ready for Anglesey on the 18th. :D

Soldato
Got the R56 Mini MOT'd today - yay pass with no advisories and nothing picked up on the garage's health check. For once a result :D
Clearly cursed it

(As soon as I picked it up got the low outside temperature snow flake symbol, seems like an unlucky coincidence but garage did check to make sure they hadn't disturbed anything.)

I've ordered a new sensor for less than a £10 and seems like a fairly easy job.
Owners of R56 Mini's should know better than anyone that you *never* celebrate your car's reliability :p

Associate
New turbo ready to go on the Evo tomorrow :D Must admit there's not much more satisfying than working with fresh new parts :)

432101879_10159806766801966_3921385462420126567_n.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Yesterday I did an oil change on the E46 which is now on 210k miles. I wanted to change the oil in the E92 as well, but contractors were messing about with a manhole cover out the front of the house most of the day, so I only had time to do one oil change. Just finished changing the oil on the E92 as today's predicted rain decided to hold off.

Both were overdue an oil change based on time, and by my own mileage standards of every 10k, but both now sorted for another 10k. Next job is shocks and springs for the front of the E92 as they are past their best.

Soldato
Yesterday I did an oil change on the E46 which is now on 210k miles
what do you put in I'm swearing by valvoline maxlife 10/40 after being fuchs supersyn 10/40 for many years
- touchwood drips from oil-pan much reduced, on swarfega driveway cleaned driveway.

e: contemplated opening headlights to try and clean the chromed reflector which has some visible corrosion, risk of making things worse/breaking tabs
and haven't found anything categoric on what to clean them with alcohol risky apparently

Last edited:
Caporegime
Stripped the timing belt side down, cleaned everything up a little, and fitted a new water pump. The old one seemed fine, and the tensioner seemed fine as well. The belt however was shot.
Next is changing the crank and cam seals (waiting for one of them to arrive), transferring the tensioner spring screw onto the new water pump (more saying this so that I remember...), cleaning up the the rear timing cover and putting the new rubber foam seals on, and then putting it back together.

L05Ss5Ih.jpeg
Nx0yJPEh.jpeg

I also took the rocker cover off to find that the camshaft cap machine screws have been re-installed by someone even less competent than I am, two or three had stripped heads, and one had backed out completely (and also had a stripped head) - I've bought 10 replacements made of A4 stainless steel with torx heads instead of screw heads. Hopefully they will work OK... Some of the old ones might need drilling out... And one of the rear crankshaft oil seal housing machine screws needs drilling out too...

That is slightly concerning and I had to talk myself out of tearing the whole engine apart to make sure the rest of it is done right, thats called scope creep folks, you have to nip it in the bud and then regret it later when your engine blows up. :D But in seriousness, I'm not taking the head off of this thing, the exhaust manifold bolts look unlikely to come out, and I'd have to wait on parts from Japan.

I MIGHT do the valve stem seals and put all the valvetrain stuff in an ultrasonic cleaner though... It would make me feel better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got around to fitting the bonnet strut kit for the Mustang.

It's absolutely stupid that Ford sell the kits
Nr5jQnol.jpg

Yet they give you an old school bonnet prop..

Fitting it took 5 mins, most of that was having to cut and shape a 1" hole where the battery cover sits over one of the mounting points, but the kit is simply 4 bolt on mounts and that's it!
P8hZsuWl.jpg

I left the original prop (front) just in case it's needed..
6eeAsfhl.jpg

Permabanned
New turbo ready to go on the Evo tomorrow :D Must admit there's not much more satisfying than working with fresh new parts :)

432101879_10159806766801966_3921385462420126567_n.jpg
Nioce! Best not be a Wuhan Whistler though, genuine brands or GTFO haha!

Genuine question, do you run that ally cover for the camshaft position sensor, as 4G63 love to melt/kill them don't they, IIRC a heat problem isn't it? The running joke used to be all Evo people literally keep a spare in their glovebox and go through many a year. Love a 4G63, is that what you have or is it a 4B11T?

Used to love all the mental Norris Designs stuff over here, and the obvious jdm tuned madness.

Last edited:
Associate
Nioce! Best not be a Wuhan Whistler though, genuine brands or GTFO haha!

Genuine question, do you run that ally cover for the camshaft position sensor, as 4G63 love to melt/kill them don't they, IIRC a heat problem isn't it? The running joke used to be all Evo people literally keep a spare in their glovebox and go through many a year. Love a 4G63, is that what you have or is it a 4B11T?

Used to love all the mental Norris Designs stuff over here, and the obvious jdm tuned madness.

Turbo Technics hybrid S205B, same as what was on it previously but bearings decided to bear no more haha. Engine is a built rg motorsport 2.0 4G63 running 550bhp on high boost setting :D

Was tempted to go Precision turbos 5858 / 6262 or similar but bit overkill and couldn’t justify the cost over a new replacement for what was already there. Maybe next time though! :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Turbo Technics hybrid S205B, same as what was on it previously but bearings decided to bear no more haha. Engine is a built rg motorsport 2.0 4G63 running 550bhp on high boost setting :D

Was tempted to go Precision turbos 5858 / 6262 or similar but bit overkill and couldn’t justify the cost over a new replacement for what was already there. Maybe next time though! :)

iu

So do you carry the spare cam sensor in your glovebox ;) or do you have that cooling plate to stop it dying?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Rear crank seal housing taken off which took some doing, one bolt needed drilling out...

Personally I think the old seal still had some miles left in it. I just rolled the inner lip between my fingers and it fell apart. :p

gpKcjeEh.jpeg
eInLduih.jpeg

Ready to be gooped back on...

Px5AyEPh.jpeg
hZ8AasPh.jpeg

This is what the cam cap 'bolts' were like when I took the rocker cover off, which is nice as I mentioned. :p

Have new stainless torx screws coming to replace all of them. Thankfully I managed to get them undone with an impact driver. (the manual kind)

Will be taking the valvetrain apart to clean it up, and fit new stem seals.

I don't plan on doing the bottom end, but I did check the crankshaft end float and it is within spec, and when I take the sump off to re-seal it against the above pictured seal housing, I'm going to just bolt check it to make sure everything is happy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit torn, have bought some new tyres for the Jeep (265/75/R15 vs the stock 225/75/R15). They do fit on the stock 15*7 rims, but i'm debating whether to buy some new ones and then have 2 sets of wheels, or even to sell the original wheels to recoup some cost.

The supplier has a set of these at a decent price. I just can't decide whether i want to go with chrome. They looks fairly cool and for a beach going Jeep Wrangler it feels like a decent fit, but i know i'm not great at keeping stuff clean!

3Si4Zzr.png

Rough examples here of Stock vs Chrome on a Jeep like mine. Any thoughts

Stock
E88mg9J.png

Chrome
6Kw9tLX.png

Associate
Rough examples here of Stock vs Chrome on a Jeep like mine. Any thoughts

Honestly it’s your car so do whatever makes you most happy, personally though I think it looks much better on the stock wheels. That said I’ve not seen one anytime recently that I can recall so novelty still there for me perhaps vs you getting used to what you’ve had for x amount of time. Same as when I changed my DC5 wheels from the stock white ones, lots questioned it but I just fancied a change :)

Soldato
Honestly it’s your car so do whatever makes you most happy, personally though I think it looks much better on the stock wheels. That said I’ve not seen one anytime recently that I can recall so novelty still there for me perhaps vs you getting used to what you’ve had for x amount of time. Same as when I changed my DC5 wheels from the stock white ones, lots questioned it but I just fancied a change :)

Yeah. I like both equally and I wouldn’t say I particularly loved the chrome. Was more they’re a good price and gives me the chance to have spare wheels at a cheap price.

I’m torn with the chrome. I wonder if they’d need more chrome accents elsewhere which I wouldn’t particularly want.
Need to see some looking dirty and unloved!

Back
Top Bottom