what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Got a few pairs knocking about but have sold two of my 'big three', namely the AKG K550 MK2 and the Philips Fidelio X2.

They have just become redundant and at no point recently have I thought either would be better to listen to for any type of music and even gaming than my HD650's.

Only need them in my life.

Soldato
Audio Technica MSR7 - Good closed cans for work at the office

Sennheiser HD600 for home use (music and gaming) paired with Little Dot MKII tube amp with Voskhod matching tubes.

Dont feel like i could get much better sound without investing a lot more money. satisfied enough and is probably a sensible stopping point in terms of £££

Associate
Just received some Cosmic Ears CE6P's after my Heir Audio 5.0+'s died last year. Very, very, very happy. Just getting used to the fit but the sound is exceptional.

Soldato
I just bought some Audio Technica ATH-M50x. They are my first pair of decent headphones and I'm really liking them so far. I was tempted to go for a pair of B&W P7s but I couldn't justify the price at the time.

Associate
Got a pair of Sony MDR 1000x headphones. Been using them wired on my PC and through Bluetooth when on the train. Absolutely blown away when listening to FLAC files from Queen, Eagles and some modern day pop.

Sound stunning on games like Battlefield 1 as well. Can't wait to discover some new music with these :)

Associate
Home: Philips Fidelio X2, super comfortable and great sound for my purposes, films, music and gaming the X2's are great. When I first purchased was astounded at the size - they are huge(!) but so comfortable.

Out and About: Bowers & Wilkins P5's, look lovely but the cable is shocking, it is such a scrawny cable which is put to shame by basic headphones, drives me nuts. They sound pretty good and comfortable, I think in hindsight, I should have tried a few other brands.

RHA In-Ear for my daily commute (less baggage and I can stuff in my pocket when not in use). My latest pair have died so the Sony MDR-EX650AP look tempting.

I keep deliberating over pulling the trigger on a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 given the huge appreciation thread here on OC and reviews elsewhere.

Soldato
Just got another pair of HD 650s, except this time they're the older, black silk version. I had the silver ones for a while a few years ago, but got these for a relative steal so had to buy them. I'll probably be keeping these and giving them a custom paint job as the headband is a bit chipped. They sound great though.

I also recently picked up some AKG K550s, but will be selling them on - too bright and thrashy for me. Finally, bought some over ear Sennheiser Momentum mk1. Don't like them at all - too much bass. My on-ear Momentums sound more balanced to me, so I'll be keeping them and flogging the over-ears.

Man of Honour
I also recently picked up some AKG K550s, but will be selling them on - too bright and thrashy for me. Finally, bought some over ear Sennheiser Momentum mk1. Don't like them at all - too much bass. My on-ear Momentums sound more balanced to me, so I'll be keeping them and flogging the over-ears.

As I've banged on a few times - make sure you are using the correct cable for your device with the Momentums otherwise you get a lot of bleed between channels which makes the mid-range messy and bass heavy :S

I still come back to my Sennheiser MX580 time and time again despite being ear buds hence a bit bass light - the clarity, detail and power just blows away almost anything else I've listened to for music enjoyment despite the 600s being a bit more resolving and slightly fuller sound thanks to reproducing a good range of bass the ear buds can't touch. Just can't find anything else with the speed and tonality of the drivers in these.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, for the last few weeks I've had a pair of HD 700s on my head. I picked them up on eBay from a Norwegian guy (as you do). They looked and smelled like new, so I guess he didn't like them.

I've been mostly watching The Wire with them, but interspersing that with a bit of music of various genre, and I must say that I'm very impressed. They do nearly everything that the HD650s do but better. They do have that 'spike' everyone rattles on about, but believe me when I say that I was surprised that my ears didn't bleed when I listened with them, such was the hype. These work pretty well with most things, and absolutely wipe the floor with the HD 650s in terms of dynamics, scale and transient response. They are super, super fast sounding headphones. They are listenable with trance/hip hop, but are not bass-head headphones. They still have bass, don't get me wrong, they are slightly better than HD 650s in this respect. The first time I listened to anything classical/orchestral through these, my jaw hit the proverbial - they are quite amazing in their ability to create scale and space around instruments and do a very good job of throwing out a convincing sound stage. The timpani drums in Zarathustra 'Fanfare' have a real tangible 'the-player-is-beating-the-crap-out-of-the-drumskin' level of detail, you don't get this with HD 650s.

I took a punt on these, and was completely ready to give them up if they didn't jive, but now I can't see me doing that any time soon. I think of them like K701s without an artificial, forced sound stage and with a humanly sensible amount of bass.

Next stop could be a pair of HD 800s...

Soldato
Just bought some K712's. Been wanting to try them for ages and am planning on them becoming my gaming headphones with my 650's continuing to be for music though of course, I might prefer them. :eek:

Just bought some K712's. Been wanting to try them for ages and am planning on them becoming my gaming headphones with my 650's continuing to be for music though of course, I might prefer them. :eek:

Interesting, I wouldn't mind trying the k712's, I've got the k612's and I think they are one of the best headphones out there under £100, would be nice to see how the compare to the k712's.

Associate
A friend sent me his HD700, HE1000 and HD800S to have a play with as he wanted my impressions. I like the HD800S but there's something sloppy about the bass, it's not that the bass is sloppy in it's self but it's just that everything else is clean, resolving that the high bass distortion stands out. I prefer my HD800 for bass - cleaner, tighter but the upper end of the HD800S sounds more inline.

HD700 still suck, it's been a while since I've heard them so wanted to see how they sounded now, they are so messed up it's unreal, enough said, good resolution though and driver matching.

HEK impressions have not really changed, good tone, a bit rough, zingy, nice balance below the treble but a bit compressed(Planars eh)

I've not really been listening to headphones as much for a while as I've been gaming like mad and working lol but I do sit down with my HD650 a lot, my HD800 don't get hardly any use as I just plug in my Game Zero for easy convenience.

I like the look of the new ZMF headphones but to be honest I don't care enough at the moment to try them.

Back
Top Bottom