what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
I don't think I'm going any further, at 61 I don't have the high frequency hearing to make it worthwhile, I'm quite happy to stick on the 1990's, although those Quads do look tempting :D
To be fair, I have given the HE400i's and HD650's a run but there seemed to be too much detail missing and the instrument separation and imaging are just not in the same league.

Associate
You know you want an Elear...
a_tongue.gif

Soldato
HD800s (so comfortable, one of the few in which my ears do not touch anything!)
HD6XX (HD650)
HD58X
AKG 712 PRO
Hyper X cloud (for rare occasions I use a Mic)

J2uwO71.jpg
yeJDnYC.jpg

Associate
Thought i would try out some Fostex TR70's , they dont seem to be getting any love from audiophiles.
Can see why as the build quality seems quite flimsy , they look good but fragile.
Sound is great though (well sounds good on my 50 year old punk ravaged ears) got the 250ohm version , wouldnt pay £120+ but got them for £40 after a cheeky offer and 10% off of ebay.

Now how do i straighten the janky mess of cable , been twiddling with it for hours but it still springs back into this mess.

CQWKtsq.jpg

Soldato
I got some of the Massdrop x Hifiman HE4XX about a year ago. They were a fantastic deal that I couldn't really turn down. I've got them hooked up to a Schiit Fulla 2, so it's a fairly cost-effective headphone setup. I like the HE4XXs a lot, they're comfy, not at all fatiguing to listen to, have a nice soundstage and solid mids and treble. My one complaint is that they're quite bass light, I wish they had a bit more low-end grunt.

maj

maj

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in or not, but would the HD 6XX be a worthwhile upgrade over the K7XX? Or would it be more of a side move? Or is is not that simple?

Tempted to sell my DT 770 which I never use as well as the K7XX and just getting a good all rounder for music and gaming.

Soldato
The K7XX is probably a better all rounder for music and gaming. The HD 6XX has a much smaller soundstage and the far more recessed high frequencies won't give you the pinpoint accuracy that the K7XX does. What the HD 6xx does so well is music, the silky smooth mids mean that vocals, both male and female are god like and even though the highs are recessed, they are still remarkably detailed.
If you want one headphone that can do it all then I can heartily recommend the Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro, their tesla drivers take them to a whole new level. Powerful textured bass really brings explosions and music to life while the highs have even more detail and better imaging than the K7xx. The only negative is that the soundstage is more confined than that of the K7xx (same goes for pretty much all headphones) but the extremely accurate imaging more than makes up for it.

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in or not, but would the HD 6XX be a worthwhile upgrade over the K7XX? Or would it be more of a side move? Or is is not that simple?

Tempted to sell my DT 770 which I never use as well as the K7XX and just getting a good all rounder for music and gaming.

Its really a question of what sort of sound signature your after. K7xx etc is just different to the HD6xx, no better or worse IMO. I own the HD6xx along with K712 Pro and did for a while have the K7xx in tandem. To me, mostly for gaming and all around, the K712 pro's sound wonderful with the expansive sound stage and can pick up details easy (not as easy as the K7xx or 701's, those are cheat mode), its a signature I like in games. Not to say the HD6xx is bad as its not, but just different. This first post likely explains some of the details better then I of the K7xx vs HD650 (HD6xx is the HD650 in massdrop wrapped, but even the box in some spots is stamped with HD650): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd650-vs-akg-k7xx.755497/

I would also take a peek at the HD58x and 712 Pro's IMO in to consideration around that sort of price point, personally one of those two are my go to headphones for gaming and all around use.

maj

maj

Soldato
Thanks both. I might keep the K7XX for the time being then if they are better that when I'm taking them for, and maybe I'm under appreciating them. I've just got a pair of Eris 4.5's so will be using them less for music and more for gaming now and based on the above and elsewhere, it seems they're the better suited for that job out of the two.

Associate
Got 702 for gaming and 712 for certain music where I want a bit more warmth but overall 702 are pretty much end game for me

Soldato
Ah, so you've finally received the Owls. How are you finding them? Personally, I find them one of the best closed backs in the <£1,000 bracket.

The Hawks ;)

To be honest, they are amazing, I love them. I have one slight problem. They don't play nice with my dac/amp. It is a Marantz HD-DAC1 and they hum, even on low gain. I sold my HD650's which had no hum and I have been comparing with my real easy to drive gaming headset, Sennheiser 363D and there is no hum. Both easy to drive but no hum with the Senns and hum with the Hawks.

Reality is that it should not bother me but it is driving me to distraction. I might have to pass them on. Really frustrating.

Don
HD595 which I've had for over 10 years now!

Thanks to a mis-price at a certain retailer, I had them for ~£90

Bought a Modmic5 for them about 2 years ago :), expensive, but cheaper than a newer set of decent headphones with a mic.

Back
Top Bottom