• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase

What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase?

• 1. £250

Votes: 34 8.3%
  • 2. £500

Votes: 162 39.7%
  • 3. £750

Votes: 86 21.1%
  • 4. £1000

Votes: 59 14.5%
  • 5. £1250

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • 6. £1500

Votes: 30 7.4%
  • 7. £1750

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 8. £2000

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 9. No no, no no no no, There's no limit!!

Votes: 12 2.9%

• Total voters
I found it a bit galling to pay £450 for my super, my own failure to not buy the 1080Ti when they were same price a year earlier, and AMD's failure with the 2 duff £399 5700xt cards they gave me :(

New cards are competing with ps5 for me

I'm currently sat with a 2070 Super which I can sell for about £450 on eBay as it's a Strix version. I'd want to see a card around £750 offering at least 35% extra performance at 3440x1440 to consider upgrading as I can probably get a PS5 for about £500.....

I wanted to put £300, but it that option is not there. I consider it a good amount as you could get an RX 5700XT for £299 (or less) at the start of the year, and I play at 1440p 60Hz mostly, but then it is also mostly strategy games so it doesn't really matter that much at all.

I'd want 100% more performance for £600, which would never happen in this day and age of graphics cards with mortgages attached. :p

I get the feeling this gen is going to be very expensive, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3090 come in at £1500 and people will say it's a bargain because its almost as fast as the titan which will inevitably release for £2500.

The problem is we've done this to ourselves; I was chatting with a few friends on discord last night who always buy Nvidia and were basically blaming AMD for the high Nvidia prices, yet none of them were willing to buy AMD cards when they offered better price/performance for no reason other than they just like Nvidia and have never bought AMD cards; you can't blame lack of competition, then not support the competition. The shareholders have got used to big profits on expensive cards and I don't think we're going to see any price drops at all this gen.

Now AMD has got fed up of giving away graphics cards, you can guarantee that if big navi is faster than a 3090 then AMD will price it at 3090 prices because they've got the performance crown. If it comes close in performance, like within 10%, then they'll probably price it at £1200 and claim it's the bargain of the century because it's close to a £1500 Nvidia card at £300 less.

The only way to bring the prices down is for people to stop buying the expensive cards and I can't see that happening anytime soon.

1500 pounds is my limit

This is an overclocking enthusiasist forum - probably half the people here generally buy high end hardware

Indeed. People seem to forget that this forum largely represents the 1% in the hardware consumers market. Most people have PCs worth significantly less than a flagship GPU.

Indeed. People seem to forget that this forum largely represents the 1% in the hardware consumers market. Most people have PCs worth significantly less than a flagship GPU.

Indeed the vast majority of systems I build for folks wanting gaming systems are below £1k, weirdly people buying systems for doing 'work' spend more on average, so probably end up with a better gaming system if they wanted to use it for that. You can get an entire machine capable of 1440p easily as well for ~£1k, Ryzen 5 3600, B550 motherboard, 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM, 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Radeon RX 5700 XT Graphics card, a decent 600w PSU, and case. Why pay more?

At the moment my limit is £0 as it still summer and my money goes on other things (motorbike stuff, going out etc )

But in a few months time when we are in autumm & winter and am mainly struck in home everyday then my limit will most likely go up to somewhere between £1000 to £1500

Indeed the vast majority of systems I build for folks wanting gaming systems are below £1k, weirdly people buying systems for doing 'work' spend more on average, so probably end up with a better gaming system if they wanted to use it for that.

yep lol, I know a guy who bought a couple 2080ti cards just to do Cuda data crunching, doesn't play games whatsoever

I'd be replacing two 2080 Ti's with a single 3000 series so the upper limit ideally for whatever the 2080 Ti replacement is £1500 for me, hopefully it's under that, but if the rumors of it being £1999 then I'll go for it but that's where my limit reaches.

I'd be selling both 2080 Ti's so that would cover a good chunk of the price.

It used to be around £800 for me but seeing has I have saved away the money I was going to spend on navi for big Navi am happy to go more closer to £1000 this time around.
Cost of a GPU really depends on the upgrade value for me. The price + performance needs to show and I hoping big Navi will do just that over Vega 64.

I've probably had around 10 gpu's over the past 4 years

750ti
1060 3gb
1060 6gb
1080 blower
1080 non blower
2070 super
And I also have a 1650 super in the unraid server which replaced a gt 710 or 730.

Personally. I'll keep my 2070 super and current monitor 32" 1440p 165hz until they die.

If the monitor dies ill replace it with a 240hz 1080p 27" screen.

If the gpu gpu dies ill replace it with whatever the future equivalent of a 1650 super is.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/

What I'll do is click on the above link when the 2070 super dies.

Sort by value. And then pick a gpu from the top 5.

So I'll likely spend no more than £200-£250.

I have spent a shed load over the years and tbh it makes no real difference how much you spend. There is always something better around the corner and it's best just to buy value for money and go with a 1080p screen.

Back
Top Bottom