What Linux Operating Systems do you like?

Soldato
Mainly RedHat for production and CentOS for testing, since the changes to CentOS am looking at moving more to Ubuntu.

Outside these I am happy using any other distro, which ever suits the task.

Don
For a basic server, I use Debian. Used to always use Ubuntu, but it seems more geared towards cloud connected and cluster servers.

For my uses, a lovely clean Debian server is plenty :)

Soldato
Mainly RedHat for production and CentOS for testing, since the changes to CentOS am looking at moving more to Ubuntu.

Outside these I am happy using any other distro, which ever suits the task.
Why not AlmaLinux or Rocky in lieu of CentOS, over Ubuntu? In my experience, it's never too long before Ubuntu Server ***** the bed in production - usually at the worst possible time, and usually because of a cruddy update to netplan or a kernel patch. It's let me down too many times in the last few years (where a VPS provider has made it awkward to *not* use it) for me to want it anywhere near prod again. It's too much hassle. If I can't use *BSD, I reach for a RHEL clone, and if that's infeasible, Debian. I like Debian, but I hate how the 'Debian way' alters things like file locations, switches and/or the way they operate versus upstream.

Soldato
EndeavourOS for a very easy out of the box Arch based experience or Pop OS for the absolute easiest setup for a new linux gamer and also Pop OS's multitasking is so simple and not annoying to use. I would most likely go perma pop if it weren't for pacman.. I love pacman so much more than apt. Never though a package manager could make such a big difference.

Just a bit of info to help with context, I'm an absolute linux noob. I know enough to get going and play my windows games and such but that's about it.

edit: scratch that, i'm on team XeroLinux now. Gotta be the easiest arch distro to get going for a pleb like myself and i get my beloved pacman back. Freesync wasn't a hasle to get going and didn't have the cursor stuttering that i experienced using EndeavourOS. Performance has been ffing good too. D2R worked straight outta the gate with lutris and performance in Last Epoch using Proton-GE through steam is just stellar. Anyone new to linux and who wants to use it primarily for gaming should give this distro a try.

Last edited:
Associate
Have switched my work setup from windows with wsl to fedora 36. Am very pleased with it so far, including the relative ease of secure boot and nvidia drivers.

Soldato
Have switched my work setup from windows with wsl to fedora 36. Am very pleased with it so far, including the relative ease of secure boot and nvidia drivers.
I upgraded my desktop to Fedora 37 beta yesterday, smooth as butter. I prefer Devuan as a daily but Fedora got installed 'temporarily' and... well there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution, right? LOL I keep saying I'll hose it when something goes wrong. Two versions later, I'm still waiting...

Associate
I upgraded my desktop to Fedora 37 beta yesterday, smooth as butter. I prefer Devuan as a daily but Fedora got installed 'temporarily' and... well there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution, right? LOL I keep saying I'll hose it when something goes wrong. Two versions later, I'm still waiting...
Do / did you have the slow boot issue? And if so is it fixed on 37?

It's not a dealbreaker, but something is timing out on boot and appears to have been an issue for a few releases

Soldato
Glad it seems to have resolved for you. I never experienced it. You can always look at what services are holding you back by issuing systemd-analyze blame. It'll give you a list of boot services with the slowest to load at the top. That gives you somewhere to start digging in the logs (or to disable if it's non-essential).

Associate
Arch on my desktop - I use it most and have time to keep it up to date. Latest Kubuntu on my laptop for ease of use and being reasonably up to date where I don't need the bleeding edge. Latest Ubuntu LTS on my home server, stripped right back to the necessities.

Associate
I've always liked Debian variants. Spent a long time on Aptosid / Siduction, Mint, and Ubuntu. A few years ago, I began to simply remove the desktop environment from Ubuntu and set up a window manager + status bar + app launcher. Simple and fast as f*ck.

My favorite now is Catbird Linux - just Ubuntu with i3, Rofi, and a status bar.

Back
Top Bottom