What "man jobs" have you done today?

I only have a small handheld grinder - Milwaukee thing. Not big.
If you're going to try it then I'd get some diamond cutting discs.

I cut a couple of concrete gravel boards (complete with rebar) with an Aldi angle grinder and Aldi diamond discs, worked fine but lack of depth was a little but of an issue (having to cut from both sides).

Whatever you use though, make sure you have plenty of water on standby to damp down the dust

125mm discs will give you a max 38mm cut. 115mm disc gets around 30mm so you'll have to flip the slap. A 9" corded with a diamond blade will do the job or £20 to hire a sthil. Cordless chew through batterties cutting slabs. Cheap 9" corded often trip the electrics. Wear a mask.

Oh yeah good point - we've been using a diamond grinding disc in the wall chaser for our rewire, and an angle grinder for the edges by the floor/tricky spots. Angle grinder throws out more than twice as much burnt rubble pieces, dust clouds, general nastiness. The chaser by comparison just produces fine dust which falls downwards.

Had a family day so only got a couple of hours in this evening. Managed to empty the green bin that had been overloaded with soil and weighed about 100kgs (10 buckets worth) and then hacked at the bush that was full of brambles. Maybe grab a few hydrangeas to whack here in this wet shaded spot.

I'm contemplating how to "demark" the borders versus the grass. Any thoughts? I tried the plastic edging stuff before, where it pegged onto the grass side - and the grass was intended to grow through it. Wasn't a big fan. Need to work progressively down this border.

Also - the ivy is wrapped around the mega holly tree. Is that an issue? Should I bin the ivy off?

PspYgMA.jpg

9UPO15M.jpg

Had a family day so only got a couple of hours in this evening. Managed to empty the green bin that had been overloaded with soil and weighed about 100kgs (10 buckets worth) and then hacked at the bush that was full of brambles. Maybe grab a few hydrangeas to whack here in this wet shaded spot.
your lucky our bin men wont take the green bin if there is soil in it(i kid you not)
they left it the other week because i had been weeding the front borders and there was soil on the weeds:((

got my own back stuff some of it in the black bin .

your lucky our bin men wont take the green bin if there is soil in it(i kid you not)
they left it the other week because i had been weeding the front borders and there was soil on the weeds:((

got my own back stuff some of it in the black bin .
Haha, I emptied it manually because
1) it weighed too much that they would have never taken it
2) i'm too tight to pay £40 for them to take it

I'm contemplating how to "demark" the borders versus the grass. Any thoughts? I tried the plastic edging stuff before, where it pegged onto the grass side - and the grass was intended to grow through it. Wasn't a big fan. Need to work progressively down this border.

Also - the ivy is wrapped around the mega holly tree. Is that an issue? Should I bin the ivy off?

PspYgMA.jpg

9UPO15M.jpg

The ivy will eventually choke the tree. Cut the ivy a few feet off the ground all the way round the holly tree trunk then pull up the ivy from the roots below the cut.

Wait for the ivy to die off and dry up before trying to remove from the holly or you may cause damage to the tree. You may even get away with just leaving it on the tree if it's not hindering it's growth or looks bad

The ivy will eventually choke the tree. Cut the ivy a few feet off the ground all the way round the holly tree trunk then pull up the ivy from the roots below the cut.

Wait for the ivy to die off and dry up before trying to remove from the holly or you may cause damage to the tree. You may even get away with just leaving it on the tree if it's not hindering it's growth or looks bad
It is hard to tell from the pics but the holly tree is like 12 inch circumference, so it is a mighty thing. The ivy is probably half inch thick dia.

It is hard to tell from the pics but the holly tree is like 12 inch circumference, so it is a mighty thing. The ivy is probably half inch thick dia.

Yeah, but it will choke it and the roots of the ivy will damage the tree and bark.

Its vicious invasive stuff - we have a pair of really large trees in the back garden that I had to sort the ivy last year as the strands were absolutely everywhere.

I made the mistake of just yanking it off the wall at the side of the house and it brought the brick face off with it. So run the hedge trimmer along the face of the wall and let it die back before scraping off now.

It can grow / take over at an alarming rate

Yeah, but it will choke it and the roots of the ivy will damage the tree and bark.

Its vicious invasive stuff - we have a pair of really large trees in the back garden that I had to sort the ivy last year as the strands were absolutely everywhere.

I made the mistake of just yanking it off the wall at the side of the house and it brought the brick face off with it. So run the hedge trimmer along the face of the wall and let it die back before scraping off now.

It can grow / take over at an alarming rate
Thanks for the guidance. I've removed tonnes of the stuff as part of the fence project and this was the first area where I was thinking about leaving it. The roots are absolutely everywhere, the stuff is mental. I'll chop and remove roots as suggested (y).

Pulled up the the slabs in the garden, finished plumbing the pond water supply in, and fitted anti-weed matting and some gravel prior to the new slabs arriving this week.

First cut of the year

IMG20230326112406-01.jpg

That's a nice moss you have there!

That's a nice moss you have there!

We have similar issues, but after scarifying (removes it temporarily) and then restarting the garden from scratch by rotovating that helped resolve it for a while. Probably want some sand mixed in with the top soil to create some drainage.

Back
Top Bottom