What "man jobs" have you done today?

Can anyone personally recommend a pull saw for furniture tweaking? I'm looking to shorten the legs on a chest of drawers and want something which is going to leave a nice tidy cut - Japanese pull saws seem to be recommended for the task!
Dozuki - fine cut but has a spine/tenon do you can't cut too deep or straight through bigger timber.

Kataba - no back, so can do much deeper cuts. These are thin and flexible so you need to focus on pulling not pushing else you can bend the blade. FWIW I still find it easier than push saws, and I've got a Kataba I've had 15 years and bent it while sawing a few times - still dead straight.

Ryoba - has different teeth on either side for cross cutting and rip cutting. These look big and unwieldy but might be super useful for a lot of tasks out of one tool.

I've had the one Kataba from Kumagoro since college (2006) and only now considering retiring it for rough work and getting a fresh one :)

Log store day #2

@dLockers plenty more pics for you mate :D

Screwed a rafter either side of the frot posts

IMG20230430093240-01.jpg

Then either side os a.100mm nogging (same as the post) and screwed that back at the "ridge" onto the wallplate

IMG20230430093720-01.jpg

That gave some real rigidity tongue whole frame and a good solid roof base

IMG20230430094548-01.jpg

Then did a similar process with the intermediate rafters with a wider (equi distant) spacing in between the posts

IMG20230430095908-01.jpg

Used as spacers and alternated front and back to give strength and also easier to access the screws

IMG20230430095941-01.jpg

Roof structure done !

IMG20230430104840-01.jpg

Trimmed the posts with the electric saw where they stood above the roof line

IMG20230430105050-01.jpg

Then cut six lengths to make a "feature" I'd seen on other stores

IMG20230430110942-01.jpg

Little touch, bit think it makes a.nice difference

IMG20230430113417-01.jpg

Then started on the shelf / base floor

IMG20230430115128-02.jpg

May take them slightly closer get bit rain stopped play for now ....

Been packing up to move house since Friday - slow progress but have taken one car load to storage and one to the dump.

Cleared tons of stuff out of the basement including scrap wood, dead electricals and some other gubbins. Including a 6 drawer spice rack with maybe 40 different jars - had been down there since 2019 when we had the kitchen renovated and some bugs got into the basement. Emptied everything out into the bin and recycled the jars. The bin smells very interesting right now :p

Lost the day to a crappy car boot today, and then traffic home was so bad I did a zoo trip. Managed to get some polyfill in the worst and sand down the fireplace skim I did. Looks decent:

aYDAcxc.jpg

I was/am planning on painting the picture rail separately but realise that may be a pain now. I'll probably have to caulk as you can't do the coping trick on the rail I like.

I was/am planning on painting the picture rail separately but realise that may be a pain now. I'll probably have to caulk as you can't do the coping trick on the rail I like.
If it makes you feel better I can post some photos of the picture rail joins I absolutely butchered in 2012 when I moved in. Debating taking it down this week before I vacate the house, or leaving it well enough alone!

Lost the day to a crappy car boot today, and then traffic home was so bad I did a zoo trip. Managed to get some polyfill in the worst and sand down the fireplace skim I did. Looks decent:

aYDAcxc.jpg

We have 9ft 2in ceilings and all that picture rail and alabaster stuff that comes with it and last year I decided to not bother glossing the rail and painted over it, with the same colour as the wall.

I now wish I had done it that way all the time tbh.

Log Store day #3 ...

Got the initial slats cut and screwed in across the base (61 of them .....)

IMG20230501100619-01.jpg

Then put another rafter in on the right hand side to take the tiles in line with the dwarf wall by the steps

IMG20230501103814-01.jpg

Pondered about if the base was going to be strong enough so but a front, back and two mid point strengthening lengths in running at 90 degrees

IMG20230501121219-01.jpg

All screwed in ....

That then protruded above the front piece so planted a lat all along the front on top to "hide" the upstand

IMG20230501121327-01.jpg

So that's "it" for now .....

IMG20230501121617-01.jpg

IMG20230501121610-01.jpg

Have ordered some reclaimed clay rosemary tiles to tile it with - will then start to cut, spilt and stack the logs too !

After all the bending and crouching I couldn't resist having a quick lay down - it was most comfortable:D

I can imagine it's going to be quite cosy when the roof is on :D

May be an option when I'm in the dog house :cry:

IMG20230501115929-01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom