What "man jobs" have you done today?

Decided to do some extra work in the garden sooner than planned so have ordered a load more MOT and Sharp Sand. Took a while to get a decision from the boss regarding what we are actually doing, cant keep the mixer indefinitely so need to decide.. probably could have bought a mixer for less.
I scored a mixer for £20 locally once, anticipating building a shed base that summer.

I have used it precisely zero times and by now it lives at my in-laws place. There is such a thing as bad value even for £20 :P

Got the mitre saw (chop saw)out to cut up all the old bits of wood (building type and fence) I have laying around all over the place into starting sticks.
I don't know which was worst -cutting it up or cleaning up after -sawdust everywhere. Fortunately the wind is blowing in from garage door so opened window and small door to create a draft - Then spent 30 min vac all dust up then put vac on blow and blew all shelves etc clean of dust.

This is kind of job where I wish we still had a bath - a shower doesn't ease the aches and pains.

I gave my cement mixer away years ago and then found I needed it again - if you have the room keep it. £20 isn't bad value even if you haven't used it - YET.

Last edited:
Got the mitre saw (chop saw)out to cut up all the old bits of wood (building type and fence) I have laying around all over the place into starting sticks.
I don't know which was worst -cutting it up or cleaning up after -sawdust everywhere. Fortunately the wind is blowing in from garage door so opened window and small door to create a draft - Then spent 30 min vac all dust up then put vac on blow and blew all shelves etc clean of dust.

This is kind of job where I wish we still had a bath - a shower doesn't ease the aches and pains.

I gave my cement mixer away years ago and then found I needed it again - if you have the room keep it. £20 isn't bad value even if you haven't used it - YET.
I always use the saw outside, way to messy for my garage :cry: .

Not sure if it counts as a man job but had someone in to quote for a replacement conservatory roof to go from polycarb to faux tiled and came in at about £15k.

Think I might have to relocate my “office” instead as can’t see a thing on the screen after 2pm currently.

Not sure if it counts as a man job but had someone in to quote for a replacement conservatory roof to go from polycarb to faux tiled and came in at about £15k.

Think I might have to relocate my “office” instead as can’t see a thing on the screen after 2pm currently.
Can’t you just get blinds for it?
And a brighter monitor?
My laptop does 500 nits and works well outside.

wow. How big is the conservatory?

I've just priced up to possibly do this for for my sister and her conservatory is huge. Materials are looking at around 2k for wood, insulation and light weight plastic tiles.

wow. How big is the conservatory?

I've just priced up to possibly do this for for my sister and her conservatory is huge. Materials are looking at around 2k for wood, insulation and light weight plastic tiles.
About 2.5m x 3.5. This was a full replacement rather than just swapping out the panels and included insulation, lighting and plaster finish.

The issue with what your looking to do is how do you know the current frame can support the weight you’d be adding when all that it currently holds up is super light weight polycarb panels.

About 2.5m x 3.5. This was a full replacement rather than just swapping out the panels and included insulation, lighting and plaster finish.

The issue with what your looking to do is how do you know the current frame can support the weight you’d be adding when all that it currently holds up is super light weight polycarb panels.

You can check if the current frame is steel reinforced or not and if there is any steel/aluminium posts in the construction. If the whole thing is literally just plain pvc windows then it may well be a bit of a push to add the extra weight

Seems like a total ripoff, for double the cost (assuming 3.5k per sq/m) you could have a brick built structure of the same size with a proper roof.
Doing more research does appear to show its in the right ballpark as it’s a tiled roof we’d had quoted. It changes it from a temporary structure to permanente so I guess there’s an element of value pricing going on.

I should add, our conservatory already is a brick building with 90% walls left and right, the end is then 20% brick to window/doors. I could be wrong but I’d expect a higher proportion of building costs would be in the roof than the walls.

@vail3r ill see if I can work out what they’re made of but not likely to do this as a diy project myself!

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay 15k to have my actual roof replaced let alone on a tiny conservatory.
totally agree....i recently ( Mar 2022 ) had a roof replaced on 1mtr x 3mtr porch. All new timbers, breathable membrane, new tiles and strip old roof and dispose.... it cost £958 and took two roofers 3hrs to complete. That 15k quote is ridiculous just to replace a conservatory roof.

Those who have done tiling in bathrooms/showers. I have seen in here some people say to use tanking on the plasterboard prior to tiling. However I've also seen arguments against it, as the water still has to go somewhere if it gets behind the grout. Thoughts?

Those who have done tiling in bathrooms/showers. I have seen in here some people say to use tanking on the plasterboard prior to tiling. However I've also seen arguments against it, as the water still has to go somewhere if it gets behind the grout. Thoughts?
If you use something like jackoboard then you don’t need to tank it.
That’s what I’d do.

Last edited:
Always use some kind of waterproofing system. Be that tanking or fully waterproof boards.

The last thing you want is for water to get into the walls themselves which will comprise them quickly. Once they are wet, the only option is to strip out and replace the lot.

If you use something like jackoboard then you don’t need to tank it.
That’s what I’d do.

Always use some kind of waterproofing system. Be that tanking or fully waterproof boards.

The last thing you want is for water to get into the walls themselves which will comprise them quickly. Once they are wet, the only option is to strip out and replace the lot.
Thanks both. Would that include over 12.5mm green moisture board?

Back
Top Bottom