What "man jobs" have you done today?

As far as I am aware you’d still need to tank moisture resistant plasterboard.

If the existing walls are good then a tanking kit is not a huge expense in the grand scheme of things and saving a few £ is not worth the agro of having to replace a whole wall for the sake of dodgy sealant or grout leaking water over time. If you are replacing the walls anyway then I’d use a proper water proof tile backer board as has been suggested.

It’s best to repair any dodgy grout or sealant immediately but the main point is that if there was a leak, water might get behind the tiles and compromise the adhesive but that’s a few £ fix to put them back on. If it gets into the plaster or plasterboard, it’s done and the whole lot needs to come down and be replaced costing a lot more.

Last edited:
With the advent of fully waterproof boards why would anyone still choose to use plasterboard in a shower? Best to think of the tiles and grout as purely cosmetic, the shower enclosure should be fully waterproof before you start on those things.

With the advent of fully waterproof boards why would anyone still choose to use plasterboard in a shower? Best to think of the tiles and grout as purely cosmetic, the shower enclosure should be fully waterproof before you start on those things.
Time and cost. If the plasterboard is already there and it’s good. A tanking kit achieves the same result for £50 and a couple of hours work.

To rip it out and replace it is an order of magnitude more expensive and time consuming. Yes, it’s a better system but it’s not free and if you are not using heavy tiles, tanked plasterboard is sufficient.

As far as I am aware you’d still need to tank moisture resistant plasterboard.

If the existing walls are good then a tanking kit is not a huge expense in the grand scheme of things and saving a few £ is not worth the agro of having to replace a whole wall for the sake of dodgy sealant or grout leaking water over time. If you are replacing the walls anyway then I’d use a proper water proof tile backer board as has been suggested.

It’s best to repair any dodgy grout or sealant immediately but the main point is that if there was a leak, water might get behind the tiles and compromise the adhesive but that’s a few £ fix to put them back on. If it gets into the plaster or plasterboard, it’s done and the whole lot needs to come down and be replaced costing a lot more.
The old board has been stripped out. So you'd recommend getting something like Jackoboard as @Kohaashi recommended, rather than MR plasterboard and tanking? Then just dot/dab the Jackoboard as if it were plasterboard?

The old board has been stripped out. So you'd recommend getting something like Jackoboard as @Kohaashi recommended, rather than MR plasterboard and tanking? Then just dot/dab the Jackoboard as if it were plasterboard?
Yes, if the plasterboard has already been removed then i’d use a proper tile backer board. There are other advantages such as they can take more weight where as plasterboard can only really handle light weight tiles.

There are loads of different systems like Marmox etc. so it doesn’t necessarily need to be jackbard.

Last edited:
Normally you dot n dab them and then drill a hole once set and whack a spanker in each dab or fix to battens on the wall instead. The added benefit is these boards offer insulation so on external walls you can up the thickness if you want.

Last edited:
I have plastic fence panels and when wind gets them they rattle a bit louder than wood- So today I finished off a run by putting more panel clips on. Nice and tight and will stop anyone lifting them off as clips are screwed on.

Getting down the jobs list slowly.

I ended up ordering some Marmox boards from another retailer as postage was significantly cheaper (£20 vs £100!). Also ordered a load of tiles, a new shower, a tray, and enclosure from a local place.

Took delivery of a shower cubicle that was sold ‘New’ but was a return (still had the last costumers returns label in the box) and the was is terrible condition. — return booked in for Monday.

Now debating a smaller 800x800 or 800x1000 shower (instead of the 900x900) so that we can also get a larger 800mm wide stone resin bath.

Last edited:
Filled our road-facing trickle vents with insulation foam. Best thing I’ve ever done. It’s like we don’t live on a main road anymore. It’s staggering how much noise they were letting in.

Took delivery of a shower cubicle that was sold ‘New’ but was a return (still had the last costumers returns label in the box) and the was is terrible condition. — return booked in for Monday.

Now debating a smaller 800x800 or 800x1000 shower (instead of the 900x900) so that we can also get a larger 800mm wide stone resin bath.
Let me know what you decide. I think I become a total flake when I test out these cubicles in the show room and decide I need a 1200x1200 but then when on holiday/hotel land, seem to be perfectly fine in 700x700.

Really the most I can squeeze is probably an 800x800 without it becoming a silly squeeze!

Let me know what you decide. I think I become a total flake when I test out these cubicles in the show room and decide I need a 1200x1200 but then when on holiday/hotel land, seem to be perfectly fine in 700x700.

Really the most I can squeeze is probably an 800x800 without it becoming a silly squeeze!
Will do.

The wife is sick of bathroom talk at this point :D

I think a 900x1000 or 900x1100 shower would be ideal, but it jumps from a 900x900 to a 900x1200 and that would be right up to the bathroom door which I think is too much.

900x900 seemed a better compromise then 800x1000 as I think having the 900 wide makes a bigger difference than 1000 long, but as we are also trying to squeeze in a freestanding bath, which really needs at least 10-15cm + clearance all the way around, we might have to go for a 800x800/1000 shower. I think any smaller than 800x800 and we’d never use the shower and would just use the bath, so it’s getting that balance.

The actual shower controls we’ve gone for is this one: https://www.drench.co.uk/p/crosswater-mpro-2-outlet-3-handle-bundle-black

2.1m x 2.6m, but at the end of the room we are building a small stud wall that goes from the floor up to the window ledge to create a recess for the shampoo etc near the bath, so say 2.1 x 2.45/2.5.
Ah spot on. Definitely keep me informed as I'm working with similar dimensions! I'm trying to squeeze a toilet, vanity/sink, bath and shower cubicle. I may concede and just fit a shower bath tho.

Ah spot on. Definitely keep me informed as I'm working with similar dimensions! I'm trying to squeeze a toilet, vanity/sink, bath and shower cubicle. I may concede and just fit a shower bath tho.
We have the door on the left of the 2.1m wall. As you come in, shower (quadrant or offset quad) will be on the right, then moving into the room next to the shower will be the toilet. Opposite the toilet on the other wall be the basin. And then at the end of the room under the window will be the bath.

The basin is already ordered and is 600mm wide, so this is the gap/space we have on the opposite side for the toilet.
I think this is enough room as the shower is a quad and the bath will be rounded (not square). The toilet is also a maxi comfort so it comes out a bit further and is a bit taller, this should help bring you forward so your legs when spread are in line with the curve of the quad shower so you hopefully have more than 600mm. We will see how it plays out in practice.

We have the door on the left of the 2.1m wall. As you come in, shower (quadrant or offset quad) will be on the right, then moving into the room next to the shower will be the toilet. Opposite the toilet on the other wall be the basin. And then at the end of the room under the window will be the bath.

The basin is already ordered and is 600mm wide, so this is the gap/space we have on the opposite side for the toilet.
I think this is enough room as the shower is a quad and the bath will be rounded (not square). The toilet is also a maxi comfort so it comes out a bit further and is a bit taller, this should help bring you forward so your legs when spread are in line with the curve of the quad shower so you hopefully have more than 600mm. We will see how it plays out in practice.
Haha, same thinking here (I have a thread of all options I considered). It'll come down to execution to make it work!

We're looking to do similar layout in our bathroom, 1.8m wide by 2.7m long. Problem is, it has wall to wall windows so can't shower over the bath at the end. The shower will have to be tight in and small as possible because the door is basically central in the wall :(

Back
Top Bottom