What "man jobs" have you done today?

Trimming hedges up a (what feels like to me at least) rather high stepladder. I've learned that I'm definitely not great with ladders and heights!

snSnitbh.jpeg
How come you don't buy a pole/extended trimmer?

How come you don't buy a pole/extended trimmer?
I've got one of those, as well as a cordless job, but it's nowhere near long enough. The top of that hedge is about 20ft from the ground.

It's also quite heavy, and getting up a ladder with a cordless is more accurate and easier to shape properly in my experience so far.

Last edited:
Have you seen the roofing ladders that have extended/wider support legs to help spread the load and add stability?
That's what I've got (I think, if I'm understanding you correctly).

It's a TB Davies 7m triple section extension ladder that also doubles as a step ladder, and it came with a bolt-on wide footing. I got a lot more confident as I spent time up in the clouds.

That's what I've got (I think, if I'm understanding you correctly).

It's a TB Davies 7m triple section extension ladder that also doubles as a step ladder, and it came with a bolt-on wide footing. I got a lot more confident as I spent time up in the clouds.

Have you seen the wide base tripod ladders? very stable, ideal for hedge cutting.

https://www.henchman.co.uk/pro-tripod-ladder/

Trimming hedges up a (what feels like to me at least) rather high stepladder. I've learned that I'm definitely not great with ladders and heights!

snSnitbh.jpeg
Mate I've fallen off several ladders and will risk a ladder anything between 45 and 90 degrees, but sod that for any money!
Have you ever bought the right amount of anything, ever :cry:
Lol. Try and find poly pins too....they're impossible to get a consistent search on (plastic topped nails, upvc pins, plastic coated pins...). Finally got the words correct and it turned out Wickes had them......16 quid for a bag of 50!!! Bought 5 bags as there is no way I'm going back :cry:
Tidied / cable clipped most the cabling in the gazebo

Then added three pendant drops (left with plenty of slack until "we" agree on a shade "we" both like"

Then wired the pendants and festoon lights into a double rocker switch (one for the pendants and one for the festoon lights)

Located in the back corner of the corner seating for easy access

1000070114-01.jpg

Messy pendants ahoy

With the pendants and festoon on

And with heaters on

Took a.good few hours and the pendant cabling and drops need to be sorted once the light shades are bought, but the majority of.the hard work done and it actually works!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Edit: yes the different colour pendant bulbs are annoying but the only three E27 bulbs I had to test the wiring and switch

Six pack of matching Edison bulbs incoming ....
I appreciate it won't be a huge difference given the spiders web of festoon but couldn't you have run the heaters out the back and up?

Looks great though. Will be amazing this summer if it ever arrives.

------------

So I have a new found respect for roof line con men. This is a tough job --- I started after plastering the other room and going to the tip so probably 1400. I just stopped - so 6 hours and I've only managed the front, rear and 1 side soffit, and the front fascia (but not trimmed).... I am battered.

Can't really see it - but it looks the nuts:
sRYZmpy.jpg

Had to venture "round back" in this absolute bomb site, too. I have no idea where to start here lol....
uRP8NLT.jpg

Called it a day as I need to finish the nursery tomorrow (a sand and a paint I hope!). Maybe one day I will finish this roof..............

I've got one of those, as well as a cordless job, but it's nowhere near long enough. The top of that hedge is about 20ft from the ground.

It's also quite heavy, and getting up a ladder with a cordless is more accurate and easier to shape properly in my experience so far.
Ah I didn't quite realise the scale I thought they were more like 3metres!

I appreciate it won't be a huge difference given the spiders web of festoon but couldn't you have run the heaters out the back and up?

Looks great though. Will be amazing this summer if it ever arrives.

Thanks!

I did consider it and may still do, or extend right / left and down the column edge - just glad it's all up and running - electrics is not my favorite ....

Heat and light (and an Alexa) makes it a lot more usable into the dark and cold evenings :)

Thanks!

I did consider it and may still do, or extend right / left and down the column edge - just glad it's all up and running - electrics is not my favorite ....

Heat and light (and an Alexa) makes it a lot more usable into the dark and cold evenings :)
Add a bar and toilet & you will be able to hide out there indefinitely

Back
Top Bottom