What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I pulled out the portable A/C units from our store cupboard, gave them a thorough clean, vacuumed & bleached the filters (we have fluffy-nutters, so I wouldn't want to trigger anyone's allergies), replaced the old vent hoses with brand new ones, then listed identical ads on FaceBonk Marketplace, eBay (80% off selling fees) and Gumtree...

Also included a professionally edited and BAFTA-worthy video of me plugging both in, switching them on, then holding a strip of kitchen roll, flapping about in front of the important bits, to demonstrate that they do, in actual fact, work. Think the new "Twisters" movie, but with a slightly smaller budget...

Listed for £220 the pair, or £120 each, pick-up from my home or local delivery (within reason), with buyer being forewarned that they'd need to lift the buggers out of my car because I'm not that daft.

Facebook Marketplace:
"If I send you £5 by PayPal, will you hold them until I get paid on the 25th July?"

"Are these available?"

"I'll give you £70 for the pair and pick them up tonight" (sent at 11:45pm)

"Are these still available?" (Same person that previously asked).

"I'll take them. Can you deliver up the road?" (The road being the M6, address in Shrewsbury)

"ARE THESE AVALAIBEL?" (Yep, same person)

"I can get brand new ones in Lidl for £9.99"

"Will these work in a campervan?"

Ebay:
"Your auction has ended and the winning bid was £178, the buyer asked the items be shipped to Hull"

Gumtree:
"Hi, can I come and view them tomorrow, if it's convenient?"
"Thanks for the address - will let you know when we're on our way"

(Turned up bang on time, demonstrated that they both blow cold air out one side, then magically and simultaneously blow warm air out the hose on the back, plus how to remove the filters for cleaning or change the hose for longer ones...)

"Here's £220 - I've brought my son to lift them into our van"

I am so done with selling stuff I don't want to people who either want it but can't pay for it, or don't want it but feel the need to tell me they've found a better deal...

Anyway, they're now sold and the cash can go towards our mini-split fund...

Last edited:
Soldato
Just gave my decking I did last summer a light sanding and a good scrubbing. Already got green algea in places and a little bit of black mildew staining. I'm going to give it a spray of mould and algae killer spray tonight and hopefully it'll be sunny again tomorrow and dry it out enough to give it a staining tomorrow night

If it rains, blame me...

I am so done with selling stuff I don't want to people who either want it but can't pay for it, or don't want it but feel the need to tell me they've found a better deal...

Oh I know these feels only too well. Ebay seems to have almost completely died. I have had things on there for months with 0 views and anything branded that does get views they put silly offers in that I cant even be bothered to reply to. Facebook is the same with people wanting you to give stuff away and then you have the issues like you describe of them turning up with less than was discussed, or just not turning up at all.

Soldato
Got a quote for my shed build and hung up a painting...

ALKnru5.jpeg

zu0Ncr5.jpeg

Soldato
Well its a beautiful day, so my decking has dried out nicely. I sprayed it last night with some algae killer and its amazing how well it works. All the green has now gone and its all ready for a staining later.

This time I'm just going to use the coloured decking oil and leave the non-slip top coat, as I think that was what caused the black mildew staining. The decking oil is a thin product that soaks in, but the top coat is more like a thick polyurethane varnish, which I guess must have trapped moisture in the wood and stopped it being able to breath properly. I had the same issue on a gate I made which I finished with Sikkens and the clear top coat caused issues. I just did the balustrades with the decking stain and there is no mildew on those.

Back
Top Bottom